m3 2.3L to turbo?

05Mazda3sp23

:
2005 Mazda 3 SP23 Sedan
ok i looked around and have not found much info so just want some input... im looking at turboing/ turbo kits for my (daily driver) 05 mazda 3 sp23 sedan with slip/auto(tranny)... just wana know some basics like what i would need to do to the car(besides whats in a basic kit)... new tranny? fuel pump?...others...and im looking at maybe 6psi and also any places to find/buy turbo kits... also anything negative about doing this?

sorry for all the Q's
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Tri-Point engineering, and even an auto should be able to handle 6psi. Keep it under 200 hp (I've read) and you should be OK.

Tri-Point engineering, and even an auto should be able to handle 6psi. Keep it under 200 hp (I've read) and you should be OK.

thanks... so i can run stock fuel system... and stuff... also the tri-point turbo kit has a stand alone, which would i need? and its manual only

Last edited:

I am hardly the turbo expert, but when low-boosting, probably.
Besides, IIRC the Tri-Point comes complete and I hear their TS/CS is excellent. You should ask them before purchase.

haha im surprised rich. youre handling this fairly well i must say. ;) you should nag the wife some more about a turbo :p

I have read a lot from people that have or installed turbos and companies that sell them, but again, no personal experience. Many of the specifics of it all are still a mystery to me.
And no, after 7 yrs (in August) with this car, what would be the point of spending several thousand dollars and god knows how many trips to a tuning shop to get everything right. Then be required to run 91-93 oct fuel all for my DD.... not that it wouldn't be fun to be boosted. Its just not practical at this point for me.

I have read a lot from people that have or installed turbos and companies that sell them, but again, no personal experience. Many of the specifics of it all are still a mystery to me.
And no, after 7 yrs (in August) with this car, what would be the point of spending several thousand dollars and god knows how many trips to a tuning shop to get everything right. Then be required to run 91-93 oct fuel all for my DD.... not that it wouldn't be fun to be boosted. Its just not practical at this point for me.

see i like this/ these reply... makes me really think and dig up info before doing it... and may or may not want to turbo lol

I would recommend doing a lot of research before doing anything. At least then if it doesn't work out the way you expected, you would have done everything you could to make it happen.
A turbo is a big jump, IMO. It takes some commitment, both during the initial install/tuning process and then later on a day-to-day basis, such as running higher octane fuel regularly.
But any time you put on hp/tq adders, you run the risk of making something else on the car wear out (or break) that much faster. CV joints/axle shafts for example. Clutches, bearing and in your case putting more strain on the internals of your auto trans. Etc....

running higher oct is not bad because i do that now... but i have been looking into this for a few months now... the biggest thing is can the car handle it aka(auto tranny) and ecu maybe

ok i looked around and have not found much info so just want some input... im looking at turboing/ turbo kits for my (daily driver) 05 mazda 3 sp23 sedan with slip/auto(tranny)... just wana know some basics like what i would need to do to the car(besides whats in a basic kit)... new tranny? fuel pump?...others...and im looking at maybe 6psi and also any places to find/buy turbo kits... also anything negative about doing this?

sorry for all the Q's
Thanks for the help

You can look at are Reative Racing, build your own, GP-werks and Tri-point. Their are alot of old used kits members are welling so check them out as well. The 2.3 motor can handle 7-8psi as a daily driver but anymore and you will likely go boom. :) If you plan on boosting I would recommend upgrading your clutch. The stock tranny should be fine at the recommended psi on a MTX but on ATX......boom boom boom.

Back