Looking to move to GA.

tviera

:
07 CX-9 Goodness
Hey guys, I'm looking to move my family out of S. FL. and we are looking at SC, NC, GA, and SE TN. I'm in the road construction bussiness and was wondering if any of you work in the same field or if you can suggest areas to look at. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, housing in Athens is Dirt-cheap, and it's not a bad place to have small kids, but the school systems in GA are very low-rated, and there's not too much to do here. That's about all I can tell you.

hmm. i know they are working on a major upgrade to Hwy 17 (northeast/east GA) - seems like they have been working on it forever! (come make 'em hurry up)

Well, housing in Athens is Dirt-cheap, and it's not a bad place to have small kids, but the school systems in GA are very low-rated, and there's not too much to do here. That's about all I can tell you.

really depends where you are though. schools in northern fulton county surrounding counties are generally pretty good. but then again, housing isnt exactly as cheap here either

Yep - schools depend on the area you live. We really like the Alpharetta area (John's Creek) and houses aren't horribly expensive - depends on what you're looking for. I've lived in Perkasie, Pennsylvania (about an hour North of Philly in the country); Stockbridge, GA; Naperville, IL; San Diego, CA and I came back to Georgia. The people are nice, the cost of living is low and the weather can't be beat. :)

The people are nice, the cost of living is low and the weather can't be beat. :)

Unless you're my brother who lives in daytona beach. What a bastard lol

But I agree with all of the above abt ga :). We totally kick ass!

I just got an E-mail from a contractor in Augusta for an over the phone interview some time this coming week. Seems excited to talk to me, so I hope it works out. Any areas of Augusta that I should stay away from when I look for housing?

P.S. You guys are the only state who have tried to answer my questions. Thank You!!! GA ROCKS!!!!

Another option: I've grown up around a pretty big road construction company called Robinson Paving Company (and also Southern Asphalt...owned by the same family). They work on roads all over the state, I believe, but are a huge deal here in Columbus and the surrounding areas. Columbus itself is booming with business but houses are still pretty cheap, although prices are on the rise. I like Columbus, though; you are 90 minutes to Atlanta, so you can get to "big city" things but don't have to live in the hustle and bustle.

Good luck with finding something! I've been to Augusta before with my boyfriend to look at potential housing because he was going to get a job up there at one point. It's been so long I can't remember the good and/or bad places, though. I wasn't very impressed by Augusta but it may have been the parts of it I saw.

Augusta isn't bad at all, I mean they do hold america's biggest golf tournament there. Good luck and I hope we see you around these parts!

There are constant road changes going on within the city of Atlanta all the time. I'm sure there has to be a ton of business to work somewheres.

Back