looking to buy a cx-5. is AWD worth the money?

npannu

:
cx5
I heard the AWD isn't that sophisticated on the cx-5. Not sure if its true or not but should I spend the extra money? I am looking to get a GS with the 2.5 litre engine.

I like in Vancouver so mostly wet conditions. Icy roads in mornings and occasional snow.

AWD really sounds good to me and I want a lot of traction in bad conditions. But I don't want to waste money on something that has little effect.

Please advise!

Any input is appreciated.

For snow and ice winter tires are more useful than any AWD system.

I have both. Today I drove up a dirt road to a trailhead that was covered in places with patches of rained on old snow that was still 6" deep in spots. Without the rear wheels driven, it would not have made it through a few of the steeper, deeper sections, even with snow tires. Old saturated snow, like spring corn snow, is about the most demanding type of snow to drive on but the AWD performed admirably. There would have been no point in even attempting it without the AWD. There is nothing wrong with the AWD system on the CX-5, it's much more useful than the 4x4 system on my F-150.

That said, it was not mandatory that I made it to this trailhead on a road that is not maintained in the winter. Most plowed roads are fine with snow tires and FWD except for very steep hills or unusual icing conditions that have not been sanded.

Whether the AWD is "worth it" depends upon your needs. There is definitely a small MPG hit and proper tire maintenance is more important (rotation and proper air pressure) so I wouldn't buy it if your usage is not that demanding but it performs it's job very competently and discretely. There is no perceptible delay before it kicks in as some have claimed, it is as close to instantaneous as you can get. But traction is a function of tires, AWD just gives you more tires that are driven.

Last edited:
This is my third winter with the CX 5 and I couldn't be happier with its handling in winters. I do slap on winter tires during those wet / icy / snowy months (winters). The winter tires do inspire additional confidence. Also I live in Toronto if that helps.

I lived at the base of a ski resort for ten years and now live in an area that sees winter snow (3000' elevation surrounded by mountains), so I've tried the 2wd/AWD scenarios many times. For most people in mild climates AWD is a waste of money and fuel. It also requires more maintenance and is costlier to repair if something fails. For some it is a necessity. I agree with MikeM that tire choice is very important. If you couple good winter tires to an AWD system, you can go to places you shouldn't. AWD won't help you stop, but it will help you start on inclines and maintain traction when it would be lost with a 2wd system (which is actually a 1WD system in many cars under most traction loss situations with open differentials).
For your Vancouver location it is probably a 95/5 situation. You may need it 5% of the time. Will it be worth it to you? I agree with "it's best to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it". For the record, I have not owned a 2wd vehicle since 1995.

Before buying, I looked into used SUVs, and AWD increased the asking price by a large amount over FWD. So, you should get more when you trade-in your CX-5 with AWD than FWD.

I got the AWD for a more fun drive. I am happy with it. Being able to pull nicely from a stop in rain is nice too though.

For most people in mild climates AWD is a waste of money and fuel. [...] For your Vancouver location it is probably a 95/5 situation. You may need it 5% of the time.

True in mild climates. Never been to Vancouver but depending on what's going on in that 5% situation, it may be a life-saver. I can think of one situation where my father had a heart attack in the passenger seat during a huge snowstorm when people were driving 5-10 mph on the highway. Having the AWD and getting to the hospital faster probably saved his life since he passed out JUST as we pulled up to the emergency doors. They said it was a close call getting the stent in there. He's with us today. Would a FWD have gotten me there in the same amount of time? Absolutely, positively not. I know because a bunch of FWD vehicles were stuck or couldn't climb up a slight grade where I was able to drive around them or up in oncoming lanes without issue. So I'm 99.9% AWD saved his life and my sanity. At some point on this forum I calculated the extra gas cost based on MPG ratings - it's a cable bill per year. Who cares. AWD maintenance is very minimal. Today's mechanics require far less maintenance than yesteryear. Not telling you to go one way or the other. Either way you'll have a nice vehicle with the CX5 - like mine a lot.

I have always driven FWD cars with good snow tires, and have always managed well, and winter conditions here in Quebec are far, far worse on a daily basis compared to what you get on some of the worst days in Vancouver. This time around I got AWD just for the fun of it. It is nice to rip out from a stop or a green light and leave everyone else behind. Also yesterday we had a nasty freezing rain event. You could not even walk up my inclined driveway. My girlfriend could not get two yards up with her Elantra before sliding down again, and had to park on the road untill I could put salt on. My CX-5 got right up there (although barely with TC engaged to the max and all four wheels slipping). I was happy to have AWD, but it was by no means necessary (I could have parked on the road alongside the Elantra).

AWD does not increase the safety of your car, except in very rare cases like the one described by Surfsup. A good set of winter tires will. If you think the slight added fun factor is worth it, go for it. I know that in Vancouver I would not...

I heard the AWD isn't that sophisticated on the cx-5. Not sure if its true or not but should I spend the extra money? I am looking to get a GS with the 2.5 litre engine.

I like in Vancouver so mostly wet conditions. Icy roads in mornings and occasional snow.

AWD really sounds good to me and I want a lot of traction in bad conditions. But I don't want to waste money on something that has little effect.

Please advise!

Any input is appreciated.

I live in Metro Vancouver area as well and it is not something you are going to use a lot. I've rarely seen it kick in and when it does, its brief. However, in the winter when we do get snow, the city doesn't plow our street and it all turns to a sheet of ice, especially the rise and the top of the street (we're on a hill.) My wife can get of the street with her 2005 Civic, but not without some wheel spinning and white knuckle driving on her part. I just back out and drive up the hill without even worrying about it at all. Now for the 2-3 times a year that that snow happens around here, you'll have to decide. Going around corners where there is black ice has happened to me and the AWD saved me from sliding into the wrong lane on at least one occassion. So it does work, I can attest to that!

For my family it was important to have one car able to handle all conditions so that we wouldn't get stuck and unable to get to work or the kids school. I can't comment on the level of sophistication, but for the snow and (more importantly) slush and ice that we do get, it was worth if for the peace of mind that we wouldn't be white knuckle driving from the road conditions (the other drivers are a whole other story...you know how crazy it gets around here when even a single flake appears LOL)

Going around corners where there is black ice has happened to me and the AWD saved me from sliding into the wrong lane on at least one occassion. So it does work, I can attest to that!

Are you sure that was the AWD? AWD does VERY little to help in slick cornering sittuations. If you know what you are doing (and you might be), it can help overcome an understear situation, but this is a very subtle effect...

Thanks for all the responses. So I guess a general consensus is that it is not going to be all that useful. The comment about higher resale value is interested and it is only $2000 more. I'm still torn on what to do but I figure it could help up whistler mountain or trips to the interior. And i bet in those 5% of situations ill wish I dropped the extra 2k.

Still don't know what to do!

Thanks for all the responses. So I guess a general consensus is that it is not going to be all that useful. The comment about higher resale value is interested and it is only $2000 more. I'm still torn on what to do but I figure it could help up whistler mountain or trips to the interior. And i bet in those 5% of situations ill wish I dropped the extra 2k.

Still don't know what to do!

Is there ever a chain requirement going up Whistler? Not sure of these laws up in BC.

If so, even with snow tires at least here in WA state they will require you to put chains on when conditions warrant. The AWD vehicles are given a free pass. I've only seen a few times over the years during ice storms when chains were required on AWD vehicles as well.

IMO...if you never see snow or travel off the pavement I would probably never get an AWD but if you do I would vote for AWD.

As many have stated, start by investing in snow tires, that is how you'll get the biggest safety and traction bang for your buck. If you still have money to put in for the fun factor, go for AWD.

As many have stated, start by investing in snow tires, that is how you'll get the biggest safety and traction bang for your buck. If you still have money to put in for the fun factor, go for AWD.

Snow tires are easy and cheap to buy/install later, IF you specifically need it. AWD, well that's just a tad harder to retrofit.

I am not sure snow tires make sense in Vancouver, AFAIK it does not get that cold and snow is uncommon except on the mountains (but maybe I am wrong). When snow does happen, perhaps avoid driving until the day after :)
If you typically don't drive to the mountains, e.g. not a ski fan, perhaps get FWD. Otherwise, get AWD.

All Season tires start becoming much less effective below 7C (45F).

Last edited:
My first CUV was a 2010 Honda CRV LX 2WD. Even though it was equipped with traction control, the car was useless in light snow, and, loved to hydroplane when it rained. My solution - I bought a 2011 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 4Matic (AWD), and, left the Honda parked when the weather was bad. I got rid of the Honda this Summer, and, replaced it with A CX-5 Touring AWD. I already know that the Mazda is more competent in heavy rain than the Honda was. We haven't had any snow here yet so I have yet to see if the Mazda is going to be as good as I hope it is. I know how good the Benz is - For example - Last Winter, wife and I were at an event about 15 miles from our house. When we went to go home, a freak snow storm had hit, the interstate was a slick mess, and cars were stalled all over the place. I got on the interstate and headed home. Part of our route on I-64 includes an pretty decent uphill grade that's about a mile long. When I got there, there were about 3 dozen vehicles stuck, scattered out over the three lanes of the interstate, on that hill. The GLK, hung her tail out a bit, but, went up that hill at about 20 - 25 MPH, and I was able to zig zag around stalled cars with no control problems. No, my Benz doesn't have special snow tires, she's running 19" Continental Contact 4X4s which are OE. My first AWD vehicle was a 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 with Continentals as well. It was very competent in bad weather and snow. We used to live in Ohio 36 years ago, and, Winters were so bad that I bought cars equipped with positraction and put studded snow tires or chains on them to be able to move. I know snow tires are much better now, but, given the results I've had with AWD cars, I didn't even consider buying a FWD CX-5 to be able to deal with the snow and hills here in WV, after my experience with the CRV.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Wet roads is more about tires, traction control and driving style, not AWD. If you have AWD you can still spin the front tires but tc should cut in and help prevent it. If you are accelerating rapidly on a wet road from a stand still and you are spinning the front tires then don't be so aggressive. If you are spinning from second gear or higher just by putting the gas right down then you must have bought some linglong tires!

Aqua planning is all about tires too, it would be a false security to go fast through standing water feeling more comfortable because you have AWD!

Wet roads is more about tires, traction control and driving style, not AWD. If you have AWD you can still spin the front tires but tc should cut in and help prevent it. If you are accelerating rapidly on a wet road from a stand still and you are spinning the front tires then don't be so aggressive. If you are spinning from second gear or higher just by putting the gas right down then you must have bought some linglong tires!

Aqua planning is all about tires too, it would be a false security to go fast through standing water feeling more comfortable because you have AWD!

If you are on a (empty) road with some standing water, you can have a little awd fun on the water...(esp with summer tires)

Back