CX-5 AWD 2015 2.5L Transmission/transaxle slipping. DIY remove and replace?

Hello there Mazda crowd (waves greeting)

My every day CX-5 (AWD 2015 2.5L) has had regular engine oil changes, but I'd missed the perspective on changing the ATF fluid and filter being naive.

I've secured and had delivered a remanufactured transmission/transaxle with no miles, just like new and have checked with the dealer about programming it for $212, which they said they do.

Expecting this to be a basic remove and replace.. though want to ensure I'm using the correct repair manual for the odd things needed for proven success.

I've seen (mazdaserviceinfo.com) subscription workshop/repair manuals.. but am confused as the transmission is being called a FW7L by the dealer.

The only manuals I've found cover either the FW6A-EL (front drive) or FW6AX-EL (AWD) though I have yet to find FW7L repair/shop manual.

Anyone clued up with where I should find this?

P.S. GOD Bless whoever started this forum as I used it to change my ATF FZ + filter change using your Resources by.. well, I'll leave that unnamed.

(Transmission started slipping in an out of gear recently and I need this fixed. If there is anything else I'm open to hearing but a remanufactured one seemed the best move to get my gem back on the road)

My past experience had me working on aircraft. Troubleshooting, removing and replacing parts/in shop component repair was part of the deal.

(I can't = something I'm not able to relate to)

CW/ET/EV/FW/GW6AEL are all the different model numbers of the Skyactiv Drive and signify some slight design changes, strength and size. FW7L is just the first four of the part number for your specific version. The FW6 is the correct repair manual for what you need.

Upvote 0

My every day CX-5 (AWD 2015 2.5L) has had regular engine oil changes, but I'd missed the perspective on changing the ATF fluid and filter being naive.

I've secured and had delivered a remanufactured transmission/transaxle with no miles, just like new and have checked with the dealer about programming it for $212, which they said they do.

Expecting this to be a basic remove and replace.. though want to ensure I'm using the correct repair manual for the odd things needed for proven success.

I've seen (mazdaserviceinfo.com) subscription workshop/repair manuals.. but am confused as the transmission is being called a FW7L by the dealer.

The only manuals I've found cover either the FW6A-EL (front drive) or FW6AX-EL (AWD) though I have yet to find FW7L repair/shop manual.

P.S. GOD Bless whoever started this forum as I used it to change my ATF FZ + filter change using your Resources by.. well, I'll leave that unnamed.

(Transmission started slipping in an out of gear recently and I need this fixed. If there is anything else I'm open to hearing but a remanufactured one seemed the best move to get my gem back on the road)

My past experience had me working on aircraft. Troubleshooting, removing and replacing parts/in shop component repair was part of the deal.

Yes Fw6 A EL (FWD) and Fw6 Ax EL (AWD) are the SkyActiv-Drive automatic model numbers for 2015 CX-5. I believe “FW7L” Mazda dealer mentioned is the current part number for your Fw6 Ax EL transmission.

BE088C3C-0785-4946-8C36-028A7B147C2F.jpeg

774C5F2B-B1CC-417C-BFE9-5D4AA728E750.jpeg

BCEE7147-4F77-4335-83F1-68E08F554E7C.jpeg

There’s an online Mazda (Gen-1) CX-5 Service & Repair Manual available for you to follow.

Mazda CX-5 Service & Repair Manual: Transaxle Removal/Installation [Fw6 Ax EL]

I had taken out a Borg Warner 3-speed automatic transmission out and overhaul it from a 1972 Ford Capri many years ago. But that task taking the transmission out only on a RWD is much simpler for a DIYer. In your case on your 2015 CX-5 AWD you need many special service tools (SST) and the whole engine and transaxle needed to be lifted out.

632598C1-629B-4E08-9D89-ACB4F7006F00.gif

B74BAC76-9786-4994-84F8-6FE6A7D46989.gif

155811B4-9317-463F-8316-4C34D661C27F.gif

BDB33A1B-31D2-45A1-BDB9-EEDC9AEDB9A4.gif

IMO unless you can rent or borrow some equivalent SSTs and find a way to lift the engine and transaxle out, it’s going to be a difficult task for a DIYer replacing the transmission on a CX-5.

Upvote 0
(nods in agreement)
Improvise, adapt, overcome.
That can be constructed easily enough with reinforced wood. Was on my radar though and appreciate the guidance yrwei52!!
That FW7L really threw me at first but it appears that I have the correct transaxle.
(GOD Bless all your guidance!!)

Upvote 0
(nods in agreement)
Improvise, adapt, overcome.
That can be constructed easily enough with reinforced wood. Was on my radar though and appreciate the guidance yrwei52!!
That FW7L really threw me at first but it appears that I have the correct transaxle.
(GOD Bless all your guidance!!)
Glad to see you have determined to do it. At my age I’d have someone else doing it after I saw the procedure in workshop manual.

I understand those remanufactured engines and transmissions from Mazda mostly in very tight supply since the pandemic. These online sellers usually would show “back ordered” or “unavailable” like the screen shot I posted above. Make sure you’ve secured one before you start the project.

Not sure how much the OEM remanufactured transmission would cost you, but have you considered getting a good used transmission to DIY, or have some reputable transmission shop to rebuild the transmission?

Upvote 0
It's already secured through a brother in Christ as the last remanufactured he had for less than $1500. His reputation is amazing and his record long. It's in my garage and was delivered 2 states away after purchase to arrive the next day. Ordered the 16th after confirming it was the right transaxle then showed up the 17th around 11 am. Who offers service like that? Apparently he does. (Stunned and impressed to see it..)

Well, yrwei52, I could've secured a 42k used working for $1850-$1950 delivered but a remanufactured with no miles for less than $1500 delivered seemed to be an answer to my constant prayer.

Have a brother that owns a transmission shop but that is states away and I'd trust satan before trusting him.

Impossible is something I've found without our Creator is true, but with Him, He makes impossible possible as though it's a normal thing.

The "I can't" mentality has no hold on me.

Just realized my hood can be raised up much farther than I'd previously thought which will allow for SST construction/modification and get this done.

Appreciate the feedback and concern though.

Upvote 0

I read thru the thread - but possibly missed something .... You purchased and had delivered a remanufactured transmission/transaxle with 0-zero miles on it ? Did it come from Mazda or an outside source that rebuilds- w/warranty ? I ask because of the part # confusion - What a great project - a testament to the integrity of the Mazda CX-5 at 200k ..and of course the owner(s) - All the best on the swap

Upvote 0
Thank you for that GTXT23!!

Yes. My understanding is remanufactured is about indistinguishable from a new part which is why no miles. Came from outside source that rebuilds transmissions. If the part doesn't fit exactly as promised I've 2 months to get my money back and go from there.

I prayed for which vehicle is right for me and was blessed with an immaculate 2010 CX-9 grand touring for $10,000 cash though had to pick up in Washington D.C. (where evil resides)...

It was a dream and after 179k was replaced with a CX5 2015 AWD 2.5L with 42k miles for $17k cash.

What a dream and answered prayer...

With the exception of cracked windshields for no reason... seems, due to design oversight.. this is been a fine fine blessing!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Picked up an engine hoist which kept the engine securely in place as the transaxle was changed. Went smoothly.. until removing the transfer case. I'd tried to do so without removing the exhaust manifold. It had to come off and it all went rather smoothly after that. Awaiting FZ transaxle fluid then trip on a car hauler to the dealership to program the transaxle for use.
Seems that's a step I'm unable to avoid.
Much of the time for this project was looking into what I was doing to ensure I wasn't missing something crucial. (going through the shop manual notes, cautions, etc..)

Upvote 0
Update (if you can stand to hear it)
Remanufactured transmission (transaxle) works smooth as butter.
Though, it seems I'm experiencing hesitation which I thought was the TCM but after reading the new codes (engine light finally came on) it detected a misfire. Didn't consider a misfire would cause what was happening but it seems as though it would.

Researching that after this gets posted.

(if TCM is the culprit I'm able to secure and have the dealer do their part)
(if misfire looking at #3 which had that code 3 times and no other coil pack or sparkplug being fouled)

If I'm missing anything obvious I'd be appreciative on any perspective toward nipping this thing in the bud.

UPDATED!!! (after posting above)

After changing my transmission at home with a remanufactured I'd also experienced loss of power and jerking back and forth...
After installing NGK 94124 laser iridium (according to the resource section for CX-5) the situation is resolved!!!
Thank GOD for that!!!
Still showing permanent cylinder #1 misfire detected code P0301
Perhaps that is a coil.
CX-5 lacks NO power and is better than when I purchased it at 42k miles.

Upvote 0
Update (if you can stand to hear it)
Remanufactured transmission (transaxle) works smooth as butter.
Though, it seems I'm experiencing hesitation which I thought was the TCM but after reading the new codes (engine light finally came on) it detected a misfire. Didn't consider a misfire would cause what was happening but it seems as though it would.

Researching that after this gets posted.

(if TCM is the culprit I'm able to secure and have the dealer do their part)
(if misfire looking at #3 which had that code 3 times and no other coil pack or sparkplug being fouled)

If I'm missing anything obvious I'd be appreciative on any perspective toward nipping this thing in the bud.

UPDATED!!! (after posting above)

After changing my transmission at home with a remanufactured I'd also experienced loss of power and jerking back and forth...
After installing NGK 94124 laser iridium (according to the resource section for CX-5) the situation is resolved!!!
Thank GOD for that!!!
Still showing permanent cylinder #1 misfire detected code P0301
Perhaps that is a coil.
CX-5 lacks NO power and is better than when I purchased it at 42k miles.
I admire you doing the transmission replacement by yourself! (y)

Any surprises while you’re replacing the transmission? And what are the old spark plugs you replaced with NGKs?

Upvote 0
Surprises.. shockingly, no.

My transaxle source mentioned I needed the transaxle synced with my vehicle by the dealer for some reason (which I had done for $149) but I'm wondering if that was necessary.

They were NGKs that originally came with the vehicle.

Upvote 0
Back