2016 CX-5 AWD System Questions

I have some dump questions. I have been driving my 2016 CX-5 AWD for almost 7 years now. Car was assembled in Vietnam by a local licensed manufacturer (Thaco Mazda). I always believed my car had an Active Torque Split AWD system and it's basically FWD until slippage occurs and the computer would send some torque to the rear wheels.

However I'm not very sure now. So my questions are:

1. Does my car likely have Active Torque Split AWD or i-Activ AWD (are these two different?)

2. Under perfect normal circumstance, would my car have 100/0 traction towards the front, or would it be 98/2 or 95/5 or something?

Thank you all!

Thanks! I have read this too but it's kinda generic and doesn't answer my questions:

- Is this mentioned AWD system equipped on all models: the original KE, facelifted KE or the KF? My car is a facelifted KE however as it was manufactured by a licensed manufacturer, I guess it would likely have the original KE AWD system carried over.

- On the original KE CX-5 AWD system, when I am on normal, everyday driving, am I being 100/0 or 98/2 or 95/5 or something?

I know it's surely a bit dumb to ask all of these after 7 years driving the car 😅

Thanks! I have read this too but it's kinda generic and doesn't answer my questions:

- Is this mentioned AWD system equipped on all models: the original KE, facelifted KE or the KF? My car is a facelifted KE however as it was manufactured by a licensed manufacturer, I guess it would likely have the original KE AWD system carried over.

- On the original KE CX-5 AWD system, when I am on normal, everyday driving, am I being 100/0 or 98/2 or 95/5 or something?

I know it's surely a bit dumb to ask all of these after 7 years driving the car 😅
Mazda only goes so far as to note. that the CX-5 is forward bias until slippage at which point all-wheel drive kicks in. For some reason, maybe competitive, they won't disclose the percentage ratios.

... - On the original KE CX-5 AWD system, when I am on normal, everyday driving, am I being 100/0 or 98/2 or 95/5 or something? ..m

I can offer on my 2019 I use the FORscan app and have the "4x4 module coupling solenoid duty cycle" displayed on my daily drive page. It typically reads 7.45% under normal dry good traction driving. I interpret that to mean under normal driving, I'm getting 92.55% of the power to the front wheels and 7.45% to the rear wheels.

Screenshot_20230207-063456~3.png

On a slightly snowy morning a few weeks ago, I was purposely being aggressive with throttle brake and steering with the (slightly) reduced traction. It was only about a 5 minute drive but the graph of the resulting rear coupler duty cycle looked like this ...

Screenshot_20230122-115016.png

It seems to react very quickly, almost instantly to wheel slip and transfers power to the rear but doesn't just keep it in there, rather only what is necessary to keep the wheels from spinning.

I do like how I can line up certain pid's to show what I'm interested in. For example, I could line up on a graph like that, Throttle position, % torque, RPM, speed, and coupler % to see how they all relate on playback.

I imagine your gen1 operates similarly.

I’ll have to find the FORscan post but you actually have to mentally double that number.. it’s actually near 15%

I can offer on my 2019 I use the FORscan app and have the "4x4 module coupling solenoid duty cycle" displayed on my daily drive page. It typically reads 7.45% under normal dry good traction driving. I interpret that to mean under normal driving, I'm getting 92.55% of the power to the front wheels and 7.45% to the rear wheels.

View attachment 317204

On a slightly snowy morning a few weeks ago, I was purposely being aggressive with throttle brake and steering with the (slightly) reduced traction. It was only about a 5 minute drive but the graph of the resulting rear coupler duty cycle looked like this ...

View attachment 317205

It seems to react very quickly, almost instantly to wheel slip and transfers power to the rear but doesn't just keep it in there, rather only what is necessary to keep the wheels from spinning.

I do like how I can line up certain pid's to show what I'm interested in. For example, I could line up on a graph like that, Throttle position, % torque, RPM, speed, and coupler % to see how they all relate on playback.

Very detailed explanation with data, thanks mate. So it's not placebo effect that I felt 😁

All CX-5s have i-ACTIV… Mazda didn‘t start marketing as such until around 2016

Active torque split is previous AWD implentation prior to SkyActiv
yeah Mazda made it felt like they only introduced i-Activ AWD around 2016. Turned out the 2013 CX-5 got the same system 😅

Other threads to check out

Actually need to divide the FORscan duty cycle number in half… I was wrong

Other threads to check out

Actually need to divide the FORscan duty cycle number in half… I was wrong

very helpful, thanks mate

I have always read all AWD CX-5s had the I:Active system. Early literature said my 2015 AWD applied 5% of the transmission output torque to the rear axle to take up slack and cut down on jerks and thumps. The torque control is in the rear axle. Up to 50% of the trans output torque can be applied to the rear axle. I have never discovered how the ECU decides to set the rear torque, though some say you can fool it into thinking the road is wet by turning on the wipers.

I assume my '16.5 is the same.

I had noticed in FSM back in 2015 before Mazda started promoting iActiv AWD that there was a suggestion that a small amount of power was applied at all times although it didn't give exact percentages.

Since wiper is an input.. here a video testing it out

View attachment 317204

View attachment 317205

Interesting. Is this CUP_SOL available on Torque Pro? I can't find it. Can it be added?

I haven't used Torque Pro in years.. no idea. I know it is in FORScan and OBDLink & OBD Fusion (with model year expansion pack)

Since wiper is an input.. here a video testing it out ...
On my 2019 signature, it appears to use the rain sensor rather than the wiper switch itself actually on. I use rain-x repellent on the windows and don't use the wipers much.

The rear coupler engagement is increased (roughly doubled compared to dry into the 15-20% range) in the rain at slower speeds (city surface streets, 2 lane). Cruising on the highway at 70mph, it shows the same 7.45% (same as dry)

Interesting. Is this CUP_SOL available on Torque Pro? I can't find it. Can it be added?
I've never used the Torque Pro app. The pid is --> 4x4M.CUP_SOL in the 4x4 module.

I’ll have to look at FSM wiring diagrams closer on mine.

It’s been years since I last looked at mine but wouldn’t be surprised if that was changed with revision to system with 2017 models

This was the post I remember Yugrus posting about the duty cycle stat

I also monitor my rear diff temp. I’ve only seen a few report overheat conditions over the years but generally off-road snow with basically continuous high engagment.

Last edited:
I had Forscan on my phone before I had to reset it, now it can't be installed on Android apparently because of some bad blood between Forscan and Google play. Does anyone know of another app like it? Was a damn good app.

Back