Looking for CX-5 brake pads (turbo model)

I believe the TNY9-33-28ZA applies to the 2016-2018 CX9 in this tsb.
The front brakes are the same between CX-5 Turbo and CX-9. The pad set mentioned for CX-5, TKY8-33-28Z, TAY0-33-28Z or KCYR-33-28Z, in the TSB are also listed for CX-9 if you check the parts application.

If I had a CX-5 Turbo, I personally would choose TNY9-33-28ZA front OEM pads and KCYR-33-29Z shim set to avoid using protectors.

Just had my brakes done on my 2020 9GT due to the horrific clicking tsb and the part number on my invoice for the pads is TAY0-33-28Z and the attachment shims is L2Y6-33-29Z. Problem solved. Should be identical for the 5 Turbos

Just had my brakes done on my 2020 9GT due to the horrific clicking tsb and the part number on my invoice for the pads is TAY0-33-28Z and the attachment shims is L2Y6-33-29Z. Problem solved. Should be identical for the 5 Turbos
Thanks for the info. According to the TSB, protector L2Y7-43-782 should be used with brake pad TAY0-33-28Z to eliminate the clicking noise. Does the invoice list the protector L2Y7-43-782?

Thanks for the info. According to the TSB, protector L2Y7-43-782 should be used with brake pad TAY0-33-28Z to eliminate the clicking noise. Does the invoice list the protector L2Y7-43-782?
No prob. My invoice does not list the protector but my noise is completely gone. Maybe the attachment shims have been modified and revised so that the protector is no longer needed. I'm not sure but they did also replace all my rotors at the same time under warranty and I have zero noise now.

No prob. My invoice does not list the protector but my noise is completely gone. Maybe the attachment shims have been modified and revised so that the protector is no longer needed. I'm not sure but they did also replace all my rotors at the same time under warranty and I have zero noise now.
Glad you’ve got that clicking noise fixed under warranty. My 1998 Honda CR-V has similar problem but the clicking noise is not too loud and I just get used to it when I back up and move forward the car.

The L2Y7-43-782 protector comes with 25 pcs. and each vehicle needs only 8 for the job. It could be that your dealer couldn’t charge 8/25 partial cost to a single part number on the invoice for your job, and they may include this into other miscellaneous or shop charges on the invoice.

From the TSB:

NOTE: For CX-5, only vehicles with the “PAD SUBSET, FRT CALIPER” TKY8-33-28Z, TAY0-33-28Z or KCYR-33-28Z applicable for the VIN are subject to this TSB.

Also from the TSB:

NOTE: The modified pads alone are effective for brake squeak, but the modified shims and grease should also be used, especially for customers who are very sensitive to brake noise.

So we know Mazda is aware of any of these pads: TKY8-33-28Z, TAY0-33-28Z or KCYR-33-28Z used on the 2,5T (CX-5 or CX-9) would potentially cause the clicking or squeaking noise. I definitely wouldn’t want protectors as a temporary fix added to the guide plates. I prefer a “modified” TNY9-33-28ZA pads with “modified” KCYR-33-29Z shim set which don’t need the protectors are supposed to eliminate the clicking or squeaking noise.

Of course whichever OEM front brake pad set you choose for your turbo CX-5, you should always contact the parts department of a Mazda dealer to verify the correct part number with your VIN as the Mazda dealers will have the latest info on parts. Online sellers even if it comes from a Mazda dealer, won’t have the most current parts info available.

And BTW, this TSB has become a great factory workshop manual when you DIY replacing the front brakes on the 2.5T.

Last edited:
It does seem strange they keep the 3 part numbers available rather than superseding to the TNY9-33-28ZA pads.

It does seem strange they keep the 3 part numbers available rather than superseding to the TNY9-33-28ZA pads.
If you search Mazda parts online sellers from an actual Mazda dealer, you’ll find TKY8-33-28ZB and KCYR-33-28Z are no longer available. TAY0-33-28Z is on backorder. And TNY9-33-28ZA and matching KCYR-33-29Z shim set are the only thing available now from these Mazda dealer online sellers.

TAY0-33-28Z pad set seems to include the shim set as we usually expected from an OEM brake pad set. So why Tchman2016’s dealer ordered a separate attachment shims L2Y6-33-29Z is a mystery.

F936FC32-D164-4DAD-A1EC-1314202FF3E5.jpeg

If you search Mazda parts online sellers from an actual Mazda dealer, you’ll find TKY8-33-28ZB and KCYR-33-28Z are no longer available.
My local dealer who is also an online seller still shows the TKY8-33-28ZB available. I will call tomorrow just out or curiosity to see if they’ve updated info. I agree the updated version would be the best choice.
I guess this is similar to the turbo oil filter supplier/ part number change.

My local dealer who is also an online seller still shows the TKY8-33-28ZB available. I will call tomorrow just out or curiosity to see if they’ve updated info. I agree the updated version would be the best choice.
Keep us posted.

I guess this is similar to the turbo oil filter supplier/ part number change.
Actually Mazda’s oil filters are simply the supplier change (for lower cost?) like you said but only for US market.

You still see PY8W-14-302 which is made in Japan by Tokyo Roki installed from factory on the 2.5T. And you can get it from overseas online seller such as partsouq.com.

1WPY-14-302 is made in Thailand by Denso and is available from US Mazda dealers.

PY8W-14-302-MV is Mazda’s “Value Line” oil filter from Mexico which is also available from US Mazda dealers.

I believe the different brake pads situation on the 2.5T is more complicated which should have something to do with the noise problem the TSB mentioned. As the result, the “modified” brake pad set with “modified” shim set are now available.

yes the shipping cost on the Tokyo Roki is a no go for me. I’ll stick with the Denso. Never imagined the PY8W-14-302 would become unavailable through US dealers. As I remember 6 of them was under $50 with tax.

yes the shipping cost on the Tokyo Roki is a no go for me. I’ll stick with the Denso. Never imagined the PY8W-14-302 would become unavailable through US dealers. As I remember 6 of them was under $50 with tax.
Ha, I still remember Glee217 refused to use Thai made oil filter and got 20 Japanese PY8W-14-302 oil filters from partsouq.com for his 2.5T last year:

2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

$7.75 each is a great price. Shipping is expensive for his entire order. But he received all Mazda and Honda parts within a week. I believe he’d have paid a bit less on price with shipping if he ordered the same items from a US online seller. But he got the Tokyo Roki oil filters he really wanted instead of Denso’s.

Last edited:
Talked with the local Mazda dealer and out of the 3 pad part numbers discussed he only has the TAY0-33-28Z which he said seems to be the proper one.

Talked with the local Mazda dealer and out of the 3 pad part numbers discussed he only has the TAY0-33-28Z which he said seems to be the proper one.
Did you ask if TAY0-33-28Z pad set comes with the shim set like the parts schematic indicated in post #29? TNY9-33-28ZA pads and matching KCYR-33-29Z shims are available through online sellers. You can always ask your Mazda dealer to order these and they should be available within a day.

I also just learned recently by another member that Mazda even is selling OEM “Value” spark plug set of 4 for much cheaper price! I haven’t checked it out yet, but if it’s made by NGK, I may give it a try.
The regular ones were just NGK's with a Mazda logo on them. I feel like a sucker having bought those.

I guess the Value version is they stop pretending they are anything but NGK's with a markup?

Glad you’ve got that clicking noise fixed under warranty. My 1998 Honda CR-V has similar problem but the clicking noise is not too loud and I just get used to it when I back up and move forward the car.

The L2Y7-43-782 protector comes with 25 pcs. and each vehicle needs only 8 for the job. It could be that your dealer couldn’t charge 8/25 partial cost to a single part number on the invoice for your job, and they may include this into other miscellaneous or shop charges on the invoice.

From the TSB:

NOTE: For CX-5, only vehicles with the “PAD SUBSET, FRT CALIPER” TKY8-33-28Z, TAY0-33-28Z or KCYR-33-28Z applicable for the VIN are subject to this TSB.

Also from the TSB:

NOTE: The modified pads alone are effective for brake squeak, but the modified shims and grease should also be used, especially for customers who are very sensitive to brake noise.

So we know Mazda is aware of any of these pads: TKY8-33-28Z, TAY0-33-28Z or KCYR-33-28Z used on the 2,5T (CX-5 or CX-9) would potentially cause the clicking or squeaking noise. I definitely wouldn’t want protectors as a temporary fix added to the guide plates. I prefer a “modified” TNY9-33-28ZA pads with “modified” KCYR-33-29Z shim set which don’t need the protectors are supposed to eliminate the clicking or squeaking noise.

Of course whichever OEM front brake pad set you choose for your turbo CX-5, you should always contact the parts department of a Mazda dealer to verify the correct part number with your VIN as the Mazda dealers will have the latest info on parts. Online sellers even if it comes from a Mazda dealer, won’t have the most current parts info available.

And BTW, this TSB has become a great factory workshop manual when you DIY replacing the front brakes on the 2.5T.
Hello,
I have a 2018 CX9 Signature with 56K miles and get the occasional front brake clicking.
Am I understanding this correctly - if I install the TAY0-33-28Z pads and KCYR-33-29Z shim set this will solve the clicking issue without using the protectors?

Back