Locksmith price to cut and program chip?

What's a reasonable price to have a locksmith cut a key and program the chip (already programmed the remote myself). Got an offer for $145, wondering if I can do better. Washington, DC area FWIW. TIA!

Do you have two different keys already? If so, you can program the third yourself.

If not, you can have your local Ace hardware cut and clone your current key. I think it's like $50 last time I checked.

Cloning is way cheaper than programming because you don't need a special computer to interact with the PCM. Hence why a hardware store can do it.

The car will still think you only have one key, so you still can't program a third yourself. However, the cloned key will work just fine.

Huh? AFAIK you need two things: a key cut to fit the ignition, and a programmed chip near the ignition (usually embedded in the key).

There's two ways to make a key. Have a locksmith make a completely new key with a different signature that is programmed to work with the PCM. Now you have a different Key 1 and Key 2.

The second way to it clone the key you already have. The PCM will see both keys as Key 1, despite there actually being two keys.

The cloning is the far cheaper option, because you don't need an expensive computer to talk to the car.

Interesting. Good to know on he cloning.

I paid about $150 in NC for 2 keys to be cut and programmed to my Mazda 3 from a local locksmith. I had a single key and was able to do the remotes myself. So the price isn't too far off.

No that's not how it works.

It was a single visit to the locksmith. It was probably $100 (or a little more) for 1 and $50 for the second.

If you can tackle a simple DIY, you can also get a $12 immobilizer bypass and leave the original key (or just chip), google/Youtube. You can then freely make key copies.

The car itself is theft proof ;)

Last edited:
I don’t have a step by step but you can try google if someone with Mazda3 did a how to guide.

Search for additional YouTube videos. The idea is the same for all mfg and not complex. Or, have an alarm shop install it, should be very easy for them, or get a cheap remote start alarm installed. Cost comparable to getting keys chipped at dealer.

Yes and no and some internet hearsay. General idea, yes should work. But I came across an internet comment that Ford/Mazda’s system can detect a pattern of the RFID chip not moving when it is close proximity to the cylinder after a series of restarts and may trigger anti theft

Last edited:
Back