Lift gate / rear bumper

I am probably going to be getting a mazda3 soon. One thing that i dont like is having to slide my hand under the lift gate potentially scratching the rear bumper to open the hatch. THEN you prettymuch have to pull down on the painted surface of the hatch to get it to a hight you can push closed... is there anything you can do in these areas to help prevent scratches other than the comment 'just be careful' ?

When closing the hatch, there is a handle built into the bottom. Just get some momentum in closing it and let go, she'll close without ever having to touch the paint.

When closing the hatch, there is a handle built into the bottom. Just get some momentum in closing it and let go, she'll close without ever having to touch the paint.

I'll do this plus use one finger to press on base of rear wiper to close hatch if I do not get enough momentum. As long as you don't have long nails or have your keys or something in your hand, no worries opening hatch.

i did end up getting my mazda3, and i DID find that handle to close it with. but i'd still like to know what this clear bra is. In winter i can see opening the lift gate with gloves on, and sand and salt may be waiting for me to rub/scratch it in.
Is this a spray on? or a clear tape/plastic type cover?

whats up ecniemann, i live in West Allis!

The clear bra I used is made by 3M. It's like window tinting for your paint job and it's about 8 mils thick. If you search eBay you will find a bunch of it in bulk form or the car kit style.

Yeah, the handle is nice...and good tips on pressing the wiper to close...you can also close the hatch by the mazda emblem.

On a side note. Wisconsinite here too. Southside of Milwaukee :p

i'd still like to know what this clear bra is.
Is this a spray on? or a clear tape/plastic type cover?
It's a clear film, very similar to screen protectors for devices with LCDs (cellphone screen protectors, PDAs, handheld game consoles etc.).
I think the application of the film is similar to installing window tinting.

My wifes engagement ring is killing the paint under the door handles and the hatch. She remembers most of the time, but forgetting a few times scratches the %^&$ outta the paint. I'd do the 3m clear if'n I could do it all ova again

Back