CX-5 Lift Gate backorder

I was rear ended back in September and the bodyshop is still waiting on the lift gate for my 2020 CX-5. Originally it was supposed to be available in November, then it was December, now I'm being told not till February.

Anybody else waiting on a lift gate or have you heard any news on when they will be back in stock?

Just checked Mazdaswag.com. Same situation. Backordered.
1672082145890.png

What about sourcing a used part? We may be entering a new normal where nothing is available anywhere.
Even used ones are few and far between, overpriced, and they're usually damaged.

It has been 5 months now still on backorder and Mazda has no idea when they'll be in stock.

Last edited:
Even used ones are few and far between, overpriced, and they're usually damaged.

It has been 5 months now still on backorder and Mazda has no idea when they'll be in stock.
Wow. Salvage yard lift-gates are between $3000 and $4000. Of course they're all wired up and include the privacy glass, lights, locks and latches, etc. Looks like new bare gates are only $1000 but still need the glass, wiring harness, struts, lights and locks, etc.

There are bunch of used available though if you cant wait forever.

Last edited:
its a s**** show with almost any spare parts nowadays. Dont know why after all its almost 2 years after the lockdowns. Its like we are back 50yrs ago.

Like I said in another thread, stopped by the parts department of a Toyota dealer near me a couple of days ago getting some maintenance parts and touch-up paint for my daughter’s 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback. Been told the liftgate on the RAV4 was also back ordered like Mazda’s CX-5 several months ago but now it’s in stock and no more waiting.

If you have only been dealing with the dealership, I would try contacting Mazda Corporate to ask for a used liftgate that is repaired/reconditioned and repainted to spec for your vehicle. It may not be a brand new liftgate, but if it's painted and installed by a good shop, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and you wouldn't have to keep waiting for a backordered part.

EDIT: I think the liftgate would come unpainted if purchased new, so it would need to be painted to match no matter if it was new or used.

If you have only been dealing with the dealership, I would try contacting Mazda Corporate to ask for a used liftgate that is repaired/reconditioned and repainted to spec for your vehicle. It may not be a brand new liftgate, but if it's painted and installed by a good shop, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and you wouldn't have to keep waiting for a backordered part.

EDIT: I think the liftgate would come unpainted if purchased new, so it would need to be painted to match no matter if it was new or used.

Thanks for the suggestion, called corporate last Thursday and the lift gate was delivered to the shop today!

Latest posts

Back