Lease Ending for My 2017 CX5 GT

My vote: keep the '17.

Last weekend I went to the dealer with the intent of trading in my 2017 GT for a 2020 Reserve. As we are going over the numbers a salesman next to us thought they were getting my car and started calling back potential buyers for my '17. I guess there is a wait list for them in my area? Without going into numbers of the deal, I assumed I got a "good" trade in price since it would be a quick flip for the dealer.

In the end I backed out of the deal and decided to keep my 2017. I'll miss the extra boost of power and the vented seats but not the gas mileage or extra car payments. 2017 is still very close to what you get with the new 2020s.

My vote: keep the '17.

Last weekend I went to the dealer with the intent of trading in my 2017 GT for a 2020 Reserve. As we are going over the numbers a salesman next to us thought they were getting my car and started calling back potential buyers for my '17. I guess there is a wait list for them in my area?
It really seems that owners hang on to the 2017s, and those that hit the market don't stay there for very long.

It's interesting that there's a large enough following of those who are "in the know" on such specifics of this year of this model of Mazda to drive such a narrowly focused demand.

It really seems that owners hang on to the 2017s, and those that hit the market don't stay there for very long.

It's interesting that there's a large enough following of those who are "in the know" on such specifics of this year of this model of Mazda to drive such a narrowly focused demand.

As much as I wish this was the case for Mazda, I think it is more the sweet spot price wise:

My '17 has 14k miles, AWD and the premium package. (Remote start too but can't count that). They were willing to give me $21,500 and they were going to CPO it and sell it for $24,500 from what I heard. Quick 2k - 3k for the dealer and almost 10k less than a new 2020 GT with PP for the potential buyer. Sounded like a good deal for all parties involved if I went through with it.

As much as I wish this was the case for Mazda, I think it is more the sweet spot price wise:

My '17 has 14k miles, AWD and the premium package. (Remote start too but can't count that). They were willing to give me $21,500 and they were going to CPO it and sell it for $24,500 from what I heard. Quick 2k - 3k for the dealer and almost 10k less than a new 2020 GT with PP for the potential buyer. Sounded like a good deal for all parties involved if I went through with it.
Yeh, except that (a) they already had a list of buyers looking for 2017s, and (b) there are others here with 2017s who say that dealers have been chasing them.

Then there's the Carmax stats I posted earlier that showed darned few 2017s on the market relative to their sales and relative to other CX-5 model years (although ths could be for a lot of reasons.)

So it's more than the particulars of your specific vehicle. Either way, you could be in worse position, huh?

Yeh, except that (a) they already had a list of buyers looking for 2017s, and (b) there are others here with 2017s who say that dealers have been chasing them.

Then there's the Carmax stats I posted earlier that showed darned few 2017s on the market relative to their sales and relative to other CX-5 model years (although ths could be for a lot of reasons.)

So it's more than the particulars of your specific vehicle. Either way, you could be in worse position, huh?

Very good point! I hope OP keeps his '17. :)

The 17 is probably one of the most reliable cars ever, out of all makes. Mazda had it perfect so they tweeked it with CD. I am confident with my 18, but I am basically a long term tester of cylinder deactivation.

FWIW a local dealer is quite interested in getting my 2018. Primarily as a trade for a new Mazda, but also claiming there is demand for used CX-5s.
The CD feature or scourge is totally over hyped here.

FWIW a local dealer is quite interested in getting my 2018. Primarily as a trade for a new Mazda, but also claiming there is demand for used CX-5s.
The CD feature or scourge is totally over hyped here.
So is he offering you enough to consider making a quick flip into a 2019?

Are you tempted to go turbo?

A local dealer is quite interested in getting my 2018. Primarily as a trade for a new Mazda, but also claiming there is demand for used CX-5s.
This is just a ploy to get you to trade up to a new vehicle.
I've been getting these messages for years from car dealers, regardless of what brand I was driving at the time, or the year of the car.
I started getting the come on from my Mazda dealer 6 months after I bought my new 6.
"Hey, the new turbo 6 is out. Trade yours in now". Ok, sure....and take a massive hit on depreciation while I'm at it. No thanks.
Before that I was getting messages from my Nissan dealer that there were people out there looking for my 2006 Altima. Really? Who the hell wants a 2006 Altima? No-one, that's who.
Two weeks ago I even got a robo call from a Nissan dealer that said someone was looking for a 2002 Pathfinder like mine, and would I be interested in trading it in.
Yea right. It's an 18 year old rust bucket. Like someone actually wants that thing.
These types of messages ("there's a demand for used CX-5's") is just a sales tactic.
Your dealer is interested in your 2018 because he wants to make a sale, and a few bucks.

Umm, I can see not wanting to PAY for the turbo, but how can anyone who drives a car "not care" for a more powerful engine?
Simple. Economy. I want enough power for everyday driving but no more. When we bought a new '92 Camry the manager (a close friend of ours) said, "Don't get the V6. The 4 cyl has plenty of power and gets much better mileage." He was right. My hot rod days ended 45 years ago after souping up my VW Beetle.

I want an engine designed to run on 87 octane gas. I was considering the diesel CX-5 if that ever became available here in the states. It finally is but VW has effectively destroyed diesels in passenger cars in this country. My local Mazda dealer said they got one last fall and sat on it for 2 months before trading to another dealer.

I visited my CU this afternoon to get rates. He said my 14k mile CX5 w/premium package was priced @$24k. My lease residual is a shade over $20k so why give that profit to the dealer? BTW, I was disappointed with the 3.5% rate quoted for a 36 month term. Their website said 3.15% but only if I also had an active checking and credit card acct with them. My savings bank will do 3.49%.

My dealer called over the weekend and left a voicemail saying that he had several buyers looking for a 17GT, and wouldn't I like to talk to them about a trade. Could be BS, but sounds right.

Needless to say, I didn't.
This is an old trick. Of course they want your car, IF you want to buy a new one. See what kind of number they offer you. I bet its way under what you could sell for privately. Probably a lot less than what you will see as a fair trade in value as well. I have taken my 2011 Tacoma regular cab in for a couple of fluid changes over the past couple of months. Both times I received a call from the dealer saying "they need cars like mine". What they need is more sales and hope I will help them to make one. Always feels good to have a dealer call and tell you "they are looking for a car like yours".

This is an old trick. Of course they want your car, IF you want to buy a new one. See what kind of number they offer you. I bet its way under what you could sell for privately. Probably a lot less than what you will see as a fair trade in value as well. I have taken my 2011 Tacoma regular cab in for a couple of fluid changes over the past couple of months. Both times I received a call from the dealer saying "they need cars like mine". What they need is more sales and hope I will help them to make one. Always feels good to have a dealer call and tell you "they are looking for a car like yours".
Actually rather annoying. They just want turnover. Realtors are the same. I get a call each week saying they have buyers begging to move into our neighborhood and what a great price they would offer. I counter, "Well then, where am I supposed to live?"

Actually rather annoying. They just want turnover. Realtors are the same. I get a call each week saying they have buyers begging to move into our neighborhood and what a great price they would offer. I counter, "Well then, where am I supposed to live?"
I used to get tons of those every week when I lived outside of DC. They're just fishing for listings. I get them every once in a while here in the country as well, but not the same frequency.

Such are the downsides of capitalism, but I guess every ecosystem needs its bottom feeders.

Back