Lease Ending for My 2017 CX5 GT

Pipemajor

Hoot Mon!
:
Minnesota
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Leaning toward keeping the '17. I moved up from a '15 to the '17 when that lease ended as I really liked the RCC/SG, LED headlights/rear combo lights, HUD and heated steering wheel.

Unable to determine if any of the 2020 CX5 trim lines have the LED rear combo lights and don't particularly care for the turbo. Can anyone confirm if Mazda dropped the LED rear combo feature?

I just got a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring and it does have the combo LED taillights.
Thanks, yes I saw that in their product brochure. The Mazda web site features comparison tool simply is blank when it lists the LED taillight assembly. Error on their part.

used 17 is the model I recommend to friends/family wanting a used NA CX-5 since it has newer body style and no Cylinder Deactivation.

My dealer called over the weekend and left a voicemail saying that he had several buyers looking for a 17GT, and wouldn't I like to talk to them about a trade. Could be BS, but sounds right.

Needless to say, I didn't.

So I stopped by the local Mazda dealer today. They had a Touring and Grand Touring w/Premium pkg on the floor. Also had a CX-30 but I'd smack my head getting into that every time.

One of the more annoying omissions on earlier models is now included in the 2020 lineup - all window buttons are now fully lit. They also have the AA/ACP integration but I added that to my '17 GT about a year ago.

Just for fun, I also stopped by the Subaru store down the street to look at the Forester. I have until early May to decide but thinking my '17 GT is still in the lead.

Last edited:
My dealer called over the weekend and left a voicemail saying that he had several buyers looking for a 17GT, and wouldn't I like to talk to them about a trade. Could be BS, but sounds right.

I also got a forwarded email from the dealer's used car manager saying he wanted to buy my '17GT 'as discussed in their morning meeting' but he needed to buy it by Feb 28.

I ignored it. Strangely, not that many '17s come up in local used car inventories. Lots of 2016.5 models...

I have a 2019 Reserve and find this omission (non-lit window & lock buttons) to be extremely annoying. For goodness sake, my 15 year old pickup truck has lit window buttons and door locks. For the superior high-end engineering on the mechanics of the car, there are things that make me shake my head in disbelief.

Another one of those things you mentioned is their website. You cannot go there and feel certain you are getting accurate data regarding features & options. Another puzzled shake of the head.

Regarding the number of For-Sale 2017s out there...that's an interesting thing. I took a look at Carmax nationwide inventory of CX-5s:

(14) 2013
(24) 2014
(31) 2015 (111,450 sold new this calendar year)
(107) 2016 (112,235 sold new this calendar year)
(29) 2016.5
(25) 2017 (127,563 sold new this calendar year)
(44) 2018 (150,622 sold new this calendar year)
(97) 2019 (154,543 sold new this calendar year)

That sure is a funny number for used 2017s, isn't it? I wonder if it's not in some weird middle-state of not being that old relative to preceding model years, and the number sold not being that high relative to subsequent model years.

That 2016/2016.5 for-sale number sure jumps out at you.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 Reserve and find this omission to be extremely annoying. For goodness sake, my 15 year old pickup truck has lit window buttons and door locks. For the superior high-end engineering on the mechanics of the car, there are things that make me shake my head in disbelief.
What omission?

OK, I'm still confused. My 2019 Touring has backlit window/lock buttons. Doesn't yours?

I’m on a couple dealer’s finder lists. Been shopping for a 17 GT-PP in the colors and condition I want for quite some time and am hoping those leases start getting returned soon. :) To my surprise, they actually follow up regularly.

OK, I'm still confused. My 2019 Touring has backlit window/lock buttons. Doesn't yours?
This stuff is why I stopped telling blond jokes...made me feel like a hypocrite.

I just went out and looked. They do have lights in them, but they do not illuminate when I turn the headlights on, either manually or via Auto mode. They have never been lit.

So the manual (Pg3-38) says
When the power window lock switch is in the locked position, the light on each power window switch, except for the driver's power window switch, turns off. The light may be difficult to see depending on the surrounding brightness.

But the lock was not on. I roll the windows down & up as I'm driving, they're not locked out. I just started the car, turned on the headlights, turned on the Power Lock Switch, turned it off, and the button lights do not illuminate.

I never really gave it much thought. Unless there's another trick I'm missing, I guess I gotta have the dealer look at it.

Yeah - you have a bug :) Mine are always lit at night. Probably with the headlights/sidelights.

Yeah - you have a bug :) Mine are always lit at night. Probably with the headlights/sidelights.
I wonder if turning off the folding mirrors had an impact on this.

I did that the first or second day I got the thing, and you mess with the window lock button in the process.

I just went out and looked. They do have lights in them, but they do not illuminate when I turn the headlights on, either manually or via Auto mode. They have never been lit.
How about that? Mine have never been lit either until just now when I toggled the window lock. I love finding new (to me) features months later.

Mine are lit as well. Just as a data point, I have disabled my DRL. Didn't affect whether the buttons were lit or not.

How about that? Mine have never been lit either until just now when I toggled the window lock. I love finding new (to me) features months later.
Have you disabled the automatic folding mirrors function?

Back