Latest CX-90 teaser (12/13/2022)

The fact that there is the wording: "two variations" and the fact that the legal disclaimer also states that the higher output is linked to specific trims make me believe this is two separate engine.

Now is there hardware change or can the higher output potential be unlocked through a tune or software change? That will be interesting to see.

To further hint at different engine, the low output inline 6 seems to be exactly the same as the australian inline 6 on the CX-60 (same power and torque number). In Australia that is also the engine used on their cheapest trims. (PHEV being the most expensive for them. They also have the same PHEV power engine (range may be different though if the CX-90 battery is bigger). But they don't have the high output engine. So it looks like the only new engine for North-America is the high output engine.

low output inline 6: Australia and North-America
PHEV: Europe, Australia and North-America
High output inline 6: North America only.

Is there any indication that the low-output 3.3T inline6 is coming to USA?
I have not read any articles or watched videos mentioning that.

By projection, the high-output inline6 could be rated around 310hp (a drop of 30hp from 340hp).
This is based on a similar drop from 250hp to 227hp on the 2.5T.
(23/2.5)*3.3 = ~30hp

By projection, the high-output inline6 could be rated around 310hp (a drop of 30hp from 340hp).
(23/2.5)*3.3 = ~30hp
Canadian and US vehicles And trims usually are 99% identical. I would say it is a good assumption that USA will have the same low output for the touring, sport and GT trim, with the high output optional on the GT (called GT-P) and standard on the signature trim.

(23/2.5)*3.3 = ~30hp
There was a 30hp drop from 256h to 227hp for the 2.5L. A 60hp drop for the inline-6 wouldn’t be that far off.

It may be possible the global low output I-6 is exclusive to Canada. Wouldn’t be the first time something like that happened. Mazda has previously offered lower cost Canada only configurations because market affordability is lower there. Mazda has a disproportionately higher market share in Canada than the US, so sometimes things need to be done to maintain that share.

Well if the same US trim as a high output engine and my canadian car does not, i am crossing the border to buy a US one. :)

There is another hint on the Canadian website legal disclaimer though: "5-The Mild Hybrid and PHEV GS models will be introduced in the fall 2023. Please contact your Mazda Retailer for more information." This means that the lowest trim, cheaper options won't be introduced in Canada until the end of the year. If it is the same in the US, then this may be a reason why the US website does not mention the low output engine. It is possible that the US website is trying to hide that fact at launch to try to sell more of the higher trim models.

Initially I read that info also on Mazda website, along with the trunk capacity. Mazda Canada was the first place to actually post this info.
It would be interesting if Mazda went this route - lower trims getting detuned 3.3 L version with "only" 280HP and higher trims getting the more powerful version with 340HP. The only thing that is unclear is the fact that in Legal disclaimer they always mention the more powerful engine specs with the premium gas and the detuned version only with the regular gas. So what's going to happen if you fill up the tank with premium gas on detuned version or can you actually use regular gas for the more powerful version?
Good questions. I guess we will have to wait for answers from Mazda.

Deep dive in the accesories and options per trim from the Canada website

Standard on inline 6 MHEV GS-L with Enhanced package and up:
Towing mode,(6) which allows for a towing capacity of up to 5,000 lbs on select trims.

Standard on MHEV GS-L and up and PHEV GS-P and GT
Rear seat alert (10)

Standard on MHEV GT and up, and the PHEV GT
Blind Spot Monitoring with vehicle exit warning. (7)

Standard on MEHV GT and up (but not on the GT-P?), and the PHEV GT
Turn Across Path,(8) , Secondary Collision Reduction System (8), See-through view (8)
from a cabin that recognizes you and adjusts to your individual driving preferences (8)
Available customizable 12.3 inch display (8)
360º View Monitor with See-Through View, (9)

Optional on the Mild Hybrid GT-P and Signature models and optional on the PHEV GT model
Artisan Red color (11)

Standard on the MHEV GT-P and Signature models and on the PHeV GT model
Available Maple wood (12)
Depth defining Kakenui stiching (12)

???. there is no legal disclaimer reference to (13)
Nappa Leather-trimmed seat (13)

Reference:
6Towing mode is standard on the Mild Hybrid GS-L with Enhanced Package, GT, GT-P and Signature models.

7Standard on the Mild Hybrid GT, GT-P and Signature models and standard on the PHEV GT model.

8Standard on the Mild Hybrid GT and Signature models and standard on the PHEV GT model.

9Standard on the Mild Hybrid GT and Signature models and standard on the PHEV GT model.

10Standard on the Mild Hybrid GS-L, GT, GT-P and Signature models and standard on the PHEV GS-P and GT models.

11Optional on the Mild Hybrid GT-P and Signature models and optional on the PHEV GT model.

12Standard on the MHEV GT-P and Signature models and on the PHeV GT model.

The tire size is 275/45R21 on the signature model.
I checked their prices on tirerack.com.
The price ranges from $260 to $503 per tire.

ugh. I guess if you want that premium experience, you get ALL of the premium experience.

I was just going through the manual posted on Mazda Canada and there are some (not all) dimensions listed. This thing is huge. It did not appear that big in the videos but is literally longer (2 inches), wider (1 inch) and higher (1 inch) than the CX-9. Tread is wider by 2 inches and there is a huge jump in wheelbase by 7.5 inches. One thing I am curious is why the trunk floor is so high with practically no under floor storage. Everything seems so high - is this caused by the rear wheel drive or some electric engine components?

Dimensions:
Length: 5100mm (200.8 in)
Width: 1994mm (78.5 in)
Height: 1740mm (68.5in)
Front/rear tread: 1705/1708mm (67.1/67.2 in)
Wheelbase: 3120mm (122.8 in)

I was just going through the manual posted on Mazda Canada and there are some (not all) dimensions listed. This thing is huge. It did not appear that big in the videos but is literally longer (2 inches), wider (1 inch) and higher (1 inch) than the CX-9. Tread is wider by 2 inches and there is a huge jump in wheelbase by 7.5 inches. One thing I am curious is why the trunk floor is so high with practically no under floor storage. Everything seems so high - is this caused by the rear wheel drive or some electric engine components?

Dimensions:
They did this in the '22 CX5's too, they made the floor level with the lip on the hatch opening, but it's adjustable (co be lowered down a notch). I prefer it being level with the lip so it's easier to slide stuff out and in. I can't really speak to the CX90 situation but thought I'd share my experience with the CX5.

Dimensions:
That's honestly not that big. Just a few inches longer than the Highlander, Palisade, MDX, etc. with the same width and height for the most part. This is great for mazda imho, because their 3 row (cx9) was just a tad too small for folks cross shopping, and now they made it a tad bigger which will probably sell very well without being too much larger than the competition. I'm wondering how it'll feel on the road, cause I've driven the 3 cars I mentioned above, and they all felt like different sizes on the road even though they're all practically the same dimensions.

Yeah I noticed the tire size too. With those prices I'd be tempted to go up or down an inch with a set of aftermarket rims. Tire selection at 20 or 22 inches should be more common (and more affordable).

That's honestly not that big. Just a few inches longer than the Highlander, Palisade, MDX, etc. with the same width and height for the most part. This is great for mazda imho, because their 3 row (cx9) was just a tad too small for folks cross shopping, and now they made it a tad bigger which will probably sell very well without being too much larger than the competition. I'm wondering how it'll feel on the road, cause I've driven the 3 cars I mentioned above, and they all felt like different sizes on the road even though they're all practically the same dimensions.

Biggest difference is the wheelbase. Pushing wheels to corners likely enabled by the switch to RWD platform. I'm curious to see the weight distribution -- maybe it will be close to 50%/50%, BMW-like.

CX-90
Length: 200.8 inches
Width: 78.5 inches
Height: 68.5inches
Front/rear tread: 67.1/67.2 inches
Wheelbase: 122.8 inches

CX-9
Length: 199.4 inches
Width: 77.5 inches
Height: 69 inches
Front/Rear Track: 65.3 / 65.2 inches
Wheelbase: 115.3 inches

Last edited:
I really don't see what the big deal is with the way Mazda's chosen to do this reveal. It is a big deal for the company - brand new model on a brand new architecture with a brand new inline 6 engine and a brand new PHEV. There's a lot to process, and maybe that's why they're doing piecemeal reviews? No idea. But it's clear that there are some who enjoy the teasers and the anticipation they create, and some who just want all the info in a big dump. Maybe its just because of "the algorithm", but I never saw this kind of marketing hype generated by the competition.

One thing is for sure - these teasers are designed to get people talking (and there is 8 pages of talk so far). Whether you like them or not, you're still talking about them! Lol

I'll take a stab at this. I don't think the complaints are on the medium or process that Mazda has used to release it, but the overall lack of detail. They teased the heck out of it last year, which is OK, then made promo vids- also OK, but then shipped the car for review at some clandestine driveway but strictly for review only as a static model. I understand that a lot of these issues are related to homologation schedules and that final ratings and other details may not formalized. However, if you're sending demos and plan to ship product in the Spring, you should at least have the pricing and specs out. They are apparently sending dealers two each in March, but they've not provided dealer allocations or order windows. I also found it odd that Mazda decided not to show the CX-90 at any of the N.A. auto shows thus far (I may be wrong) which to me is a wasted opportunity.

For the record, Mazda did a far better job with the CX-90's release than the 2016 CX-9 which was botched, so I do think that they've been trying to fix their mistakes but IMO, they overcorrected

Yes and no. Same length now as an Atlas, but a good 4 inches up on a Pilot, Ascent, Telluride. That's not negligible in the same class.

I find length is more limiting than width...height and wheelbase I don't really care.
Escalades are a class size up and considered huge, but theyre now just 11 inches over the CX90.

Yes and no. Same length now as an Atlas, but a good 4 inches up on a Pilot, Ascent, Telluride. That's not negligible in the same class.

I find length is more limiting than width...height and wheelbase I don't really care.
Escalades are a class size up and considered huge, but theyre now just 11 inches over the CX90.

The XC90 is 195, Q7 is 199.3, X7 is 203.6, GLS is 206.4, Sequoia is 208.1, Tahoe is 210, Suburban is 225.7

The 210 vs 225.7 of the Tahoe vs Suburban surprises -- they look like completely different cars in person and it's just 15 inches...

The XC90 is 195, Q7 is 199.3, X7 is 203.6, GLS is 206.4, Sequoia is 208.1, Tahoe is 210, Suburban is 225.7

The 210 vs 225.7 of the Tahoe vs Suburban surprises -- they look like completely different cars in person and it's just 15 inches...

The outside dimensions are misleading because of the rear drive platform and long hood. From the limited information available, the interior of the new CX-9 seems to be about the size of an Acura MDX. This isn't surprising I guess as Mazda is trying to both move upmarket and sell more CX-90s. The MDX sells 50k per year, so it has been judged acceptable by consumers.

I've driven the Tahoe and the Suburban - Avis rents them both. I got a Tahoe once as a "free upgrade" over a minivan because they didn't have the van I reserved. I was pleasantly surprised by the Tahoe - it's actually quite nice to drive on the highway and you forget how big it is. This might be because the rental had the fancy magneride suspension. I decided to rent another for my next vacation trip. However, I reserved a Tahoe and got another "free upgrade", this time to a Suburban.

The extra length makes the Suburban a huge pain to maneuver. For me, the threshold between tolerable and "too big" is somewhere between those two.

I think that Mazda CX 90 is making better use of the outside dimensions - at least judging from the videos. Dimension wise Mazda CX-9 appears to be perfectly adequate and almost equal to the cars like Telluride or Pilot but because everything is more rounded that limits head space in the first place and trunk volume. I found that 2nd row is actually quite wide (it is the middle of the car) but front row towards the front of the car starts shrinking because how the panels on the front doors are shaped and protruding into the cabin. Visually it looks great but this way you start loosing some inches. The same thing happens toward the end of the car. The space between wheels in the trunk is actually smaller than in the 1st gen CX-5 by good 7-8 cm. Roof line also does not help.
So CX-90 looks a little bit more boxy and that definitely will help with interior space.

Latest posts

Back