Latest CX-90 teaser (12/13/2022)

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada

"Plug-in Hybrid Tuned Specifically For North America" 👀👀

Official News Release at the link below.

I just noticed the headline.. I have to wonder how "performance-oriented" this will actually be. It does seem much more likely that the PHEV will be the top spec, but I wonder what the numbers are going to look like.

I just noticed the headline.. I have to wonder how "performance-oriented" this will actually be. It does seem much more likely that the PHEV will be the top spec, but I wonder what the numbers are going to look like.
I'd wager it'd somewhere around ~350hp +/-20 depending on the motor rating.
I was really hoping they'd announce this thing earlier than Jan. I was really looking to get into a PHEV, but while I prefer Mazda, the Jeep GC 4xe makes a compelling offer. Wonder what pricing looks like for it and whether they'll entirely supersede the CX-9 or offer both.

Hopefully, we get more than 323hp here.. bigger battery is welcome also.

The one on CX-60.
1671064897529.png

The CX-90 is a bigger vehicle so it would have space for a bigger battery. But it is also a bigger vehicle, so it may actually need a bigger battery to get the same 39 mile of range as the CX-69.

"although Mazda does hint that the U.S. version of this powertrain could have slightly different specifications."

"although Mazda does hint that the U.S. version of this powertrain could have slightly different specifications."

Huh? Are they thinking the US version will be different from the Canadian version??

I'd wager it'd somewhere around ~350hp +/-20 depending on the motor rating.
I was really hoping they'd announce this thing earlier than Jan. I was really looking to get into a PHEV, but while I prefer Mazda, the Jeep GC 4xe makes a compelling offer. Wonder what pricing looks like for it and whether they'll entirely supersede the CX-9 or offer both.

I think you'll be pretty close with the hp rating. I'm hoping for 340 or higher, with 380 or higher torque. But we'll see what Mazda does. I'm actually more concerned with how its going to look lol.

I'm thinking that they'll start phasing out the CX-9 shortly after the CX-90 is released, and it will be retired completely once the CX-70 is announced. The CX-9 has been around since 2006 I believe, so after 16 years it's earned it's retirement. I don't think the CX-70 will have 3 rows, but I'm thinking that it'll have about the same cargo capability as the current CX-9.

I'm REALLY hoping they can pull all of this off!! I want Mazda to succeed.

Since the CX-90 PHEV shares the same architecture at as the 60, I think it'll likely have a refined version of our turbo 2.5s, whereas the CX-60 PHEV can get by with a N/A. It was clear from talking to Mazda a few years ago that the CX-9 engine rating was perceived as having low power for the N American market vs. their peers (even though most of us disagree). Regardless of how we feel, a lot of folks cross-shopping with BMW/ Volvo/ Hyundai etc... felt that it didn't match up on power so for this reason alone, I'd be surprised if they offered anything lower than 350 (and frankly, I hope it's closer to 375 considering that the battery alone adding ~500lbs) if they are to retain that Mazda performance "feel" . JMO

Probably minor bump in hp (ICE or EM) and battery size (range).

View attachment 314656

Ah ok, so the CX-60 article was very likely written before the latest CX-90 press release in the OP, where they pretty much outright stated that the North American model will be more performance-oriented. And C&D likely meant North American models in their article, not US only, as it wouldn't make any sense to make a Canadian spec powertrain and a US spec powertrain.

Since the CX-90 PHEV shares the same architecture at as the 60, I think it'll likely have a refined version of our turbo 2.5s, whereas the CX-60 PHEV can get by with a N/A. It was clear from talking to Mazda a few years ago that the CX-9 engine rating was perceived as having low power for the N American market vs. their peers (even though most of us disagree). Regardless of how we feel, a lot of folks cross-shopping with BMW/ Volvo/ Hyundai etc... felt that it didn't match up on power so for this reason alone, I'd be surprised if they offered anything lower than 350 (and frankly, I hope it's closer to 375 considering that the battery alone adding ~500lbs) if they are to retain that Mazda performance "feel" . JMO

That's a good point. I'm sure some people have been/are put off of the CX-9 just because of the lower HP rating on paper, to the point where they don't even care about the torque or bother taking it for a test drive. Its a shame because a test drive sells this car better than a spec sheet or a salesperson can.

I do like that they're leaning into marketing the performance/drivability aspect a little more with the CX-90. IMO they leaned a little too hard into premium luxury with their marketing with the CX-5, and instead of pivoting to sport luxury when the 2.5T option was made available, they continued with the current marketing.

I think you'll be pretty close with the hp rating. I'm hoping for 340 or higher, with 380 or higher torque. But we'll see what Mazda does. I'm actually more concerned with how its going to look lol.

I'm thinking that they'll start phasing out the CX-9 shortly after the CX-90 is released, and it will be retired completely once the CX-70 is announced. The CX-9 has been around since 2006 I believe, so after 16 years it's earned it's retirement. I don't think the CX-70 will have 3 rows, but I'm thinking that it'll have about the same cargo capability as the current CX-9.

I'm REALLY hoping they can pull all of this off!! I want Mazda to succeed.

I will make a different prediction... I think the CX-9 stays around for another 2 or 3 years. The same for the CX-5. The move to hybrids and electrics is not overnight. Especially for Mazda. It's selling well enough to continue in production. They are selling 4,000 a month in the U.S. right now.

I will make a different prediction... I think the CX-9 stays around for another 2 or 3 years. The same for the CX-5. The move to hybrids and electrics is not overnight. Especially for Mazda. It's selling well enough to continue in production. They are selling 4,000 a month in the U.S. right now.

Anybody else get the notice from Mazda about the Mazda CX-90 PHEV? It looks like the first engine in the CX-90 will be a PHEV.

Anybody else get the notice from Mazda about the Mazda CX-90 PHEV? It looks like the first engine in the CX-90 will be a PHEV.

No. Did you got an email from Mazda ?

To be honest, based on what am I seeing from the CX60 forum I will definitely stay away from the PHEV, as there are way too many kinks to sort it out plus the real life battery range in cold climate is something like 25-30km which makes it pointless.

On the other hand I don't really understand why it takes them so long to release the I6, whether is the diesel or gas.

There is no reason to release information on the i6 until the reveal of the CX-90. The PHEV is already in service with the CX-60. That is the only reason we know so much about it.

To be fair all info on the i6 is probably available from the Australian CX-60, but everyone is holding on to the belief that the american i6 will be more powerful than the australian one.

Back