Latest CX-90 teaser (12/13/2022)

Another static review. I like both of these review channels (Throttle House and TheStraightPipes). Looks like they did these reviews at the same venue, and with the same pre-production car lol.

Interesting, it comes with 21" wheels in the top trim. Also tows up to 5000lbs. Apparently the 3.3L is supposed to be more fuel efficient than the CX-9. Digital rear view mirror and higher res cameras for the rear and 360 cams confirmed. Fully digital gauge cluster.

Another static review. I like both of these review channels (Throttle House and TheStraightPipes). Looks like they did these reviews at the same venue, and with the same pre-production car lol.

Interesting, it comes with 21" wheels in the top trim. Also tows up to 5000lbs. Apparently the 3.3L is supposed to be more fuel efficient than the CX-9. Digital rear view mirror and higher res cameras for the rear and 360 cams confirmed. Fully digital gauge cluster.
That review was actually a lot better than the TH review.

Me, I am interested in the MPG. If the Inline 6 gets the same MPG as the 2.5T, that would be very tempting. With that said, I wonder what the weight difference is between the PHEV and the inline 6? The PHEV is down about 20 HP and has the same torque.

Over 100k miles in a 2018 CX-9 and a 2021 CX-9, I have averaged 24.4 MPG (all tracked on Fuelly). Really tempted by this but want to see the PHEV.

Me, I am interested in the MPG. If the Inline 6 gets the same MPG as the 2.5T, that would be very tempting. With that said, I wonder what the weight difference is between the PHEV and the inline 6? The PHEV is down about 20 HP and has the same torque.

Over 100k miles in a 2018 CX-9 and a 2021 CX-9, I have averaged 24.4 MPG (all tracked on Fuelly). Really tempted by this but want to see the PHEV.
From the C&D article:
Mazda promises that the CX-90's six-cylinder will provide better fuel economy than the CX-9's 23 mpg combined EPA rating thanks to its hybrid system.

Another interesting piece, 6, 7, or 8 passenger:
Mazda will offer three different seating configurations with space for either six, seven, or eight passengers. The extra width allows for the third row to accommodate three people in certain models, and the second row will be offered either as a three-person bench, as two individual captain's chairs with a pass-through in the middle, or as captain's chairs with a fixed console between them.

more video reviews posted:

Last edited:

From what i gather based on the CX-60 comments, the PHEV is not a great hybrid in terms of fuel efficiency in hybrid mode. It should still be better than the current gen but likely won’t be class leading compared to other hybrids. Where you win with any PHEV though is how much you can drive around on battery alone. If your commute is within the battery range then you could expect to safe a lot on gas.

See this OP post about CX-60 mileage.
Thread 'CX-60 4 Month Owner Review'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cx-60-4-month-owner-review.123878705/

I find it odd that the cx90 is getting downhill descent control when it’s huge and luxurious. I’m pretty sure the cx50 doesn’t have it, which is smallish and “rugged”. Still nice to have for any vehicle I guess, but now I’m curious if this has respectable ground clearance or if it’s not a dirt road type of vehicle.
2B23C038-DC56-4DEB-A8B8-AE521F860803.png

I have a feeling that, in US, Mazda will sell more inline6 model than PHEV.
That inlines6 sounds great. Remind me of the BMW inline6.

Hope the coming CX-70 has the inline6 as an engine choice also.

My background - I used to have 1st Gen Mazda 3 2008 sedan (very comfortable ride comparing to the competition even after several years), added 1st Gen Mazda Cx5 to the family (surprisingly less comfortable ride mostly due to noise but more space for growing family), recently replaced my 14 years old M3 with Mazda Cx9 GT 2022 (wow, what a change - comfort, features, engine responsiveness and silence). I was very curious about upcoming new Mazda SUVs - especially Cx 70 but obviously Cx 90 as well at least to compare to current Cx9.

A few things I have noticed from these early videos. The new CX90 is wider - the benefit is probably more room in the front (this is were CX9 lacks although for me, being 6' 1'' it has never been a problem. I can sit in the front just fine with plenty of room for my legs and I can sit behind my sitting position in the 2nd row perfectly fine) and wider trunk space.

Trunk space looks bigger but: looks like the floor is very high and surprisingly there is practically no storage space under the floor - a little compartment and the rest is taken by the tools. Also there is no extra space in the trunk behind the right wheel and no hidden compartment. So I am actually curious from practical perspective how much bigger the trunk space is comparing to the current CX9 (for me personally the trunk space is more than adequate - much easier to pack our camping gear comparing to CX5 - did not lose my rear view this year).

I also noticed that European reviews of CX60 show limited leg room in the 2nd row and unfortunately it seems like there is a similar issue with CX90 - the space for legs does not look much bigger than in the CX9. On the other hand there is more space in the 3rd row but not by much judging from the fact how the reviewers were having hard time to fit their feet behind the 2nd row.

So overall it looks like the car is bigger with more usable space but it does not seem that much bigger than current CX9. Obviously there is a new engine and the new transmission. I don't care for panoramic sunroof, bigger media screen and full digital cluster and majority of the features look similar to the current CX9. I am also not a big fan of this oversized rear end. I like the front but in my opinion CX9 has a nicer profile. I guess Mazda had to make some sacrifices/choices to accommodate more trunk space and more room in the 3rd row for American market.

Now I am eagerly waiting for CX 70 to see if that might be my next future vehicle replacing aging CX 5.

Pricing in Canada starts in the mid-$40k and goes to low $60k in top trim, according to Mazda Canada CEO. This is actually less than I was expecting.

Wow, that's lower than I was expecting as well. Considering a 2023 CX-9 Signature in Canada retails for about $56k before taxes, $61-64k seems like it might be a reasonable jump for a much more powerful engine, pano roof, bigger screen, more cargo space, 21" wheels, RWD-biased full-time AWD, ability to tow up to 5000lbs, and so on.

My background - I used to have 1st Gen Mazda 3 2008 sedan (very comfortable ride comparing to the competition even after several years), added 1st Gen Mazda Cx5 to the family (surprisingly less comfortable ride mostly due to noise but more space for growing family), recently replaced my 14 years old M3 with Mazda Cx9 GT 2022 (wow, what a change - comfort, features, engine responsiveness and silence). I was very curious about upcoming new Mazda SUVs - especially Cx 70 but obviously Cx 90 as well at least to compare to current Cx9.

A few things I have noticed from these early videos. The new CX90 is wider - the benefit is probably more room in the front (this is were CX9 lacks although for me, being 6' 1'' it has never been a problem. I can sit in the front just fine with plenty of room for my legs and I can sit behind my sitting position in the 2nd row perfectly fine) and wider trunk space.

Trunk space looks bigger but: looks like the floor is very high and surprisingly there is practically no storage space under the floor - a little compartment and the rest is taken by the tools. Also there is no extra space in the trunk behind the right wheel and no hidden compartment. So I am actually curious from practical perspective how much bigger the trunk space is comparing to the current CX9 (for me personally the trunk space is more than adequate - much easier to pack our camping gear comparing to CX5 - did not lose my rear view this year).

I also noticed that European reviews of CX60 show limited leg room in the 2nd row and unfortunately it seems like there is a similar issue with CX90 - the space for legs does not look much bigger than in the CX9. On the other hand there is more space in the 3rd row but not by much judging from the fact how the reviewers were having hard time to fit their feet behind the 2nd row.

So overall it looks like the car is bigger with more usable space but it does not seem that much bigger than current CX9. Obviously there is a new engine and the new transmission. I don't care for panoramic sunroof, bigger media screen and full digital cluster and majority of the features look similar to the current CX9. I am also not a big fan of this oversized rear end. I like the front but in my opinion CX9 has a nicer profile. I guess Mazda had to make some sacrifices/choices to accommodate more trunk space and more room in the 3rd row for American market.

Now I am eagerly waiting for CX 70 to see if that might be my next future vehicle replacing aging CX 5.

I agree with some of your comments, the shape of the rear looks very much like the Mazda3 hatch. Don't get me wrong, it does look good, but I do prefer the overall rear shape of the CX-9 (and the previous gen Mazda3 hatch's rear shape). Load floor does look a bit high, but with the 3rd row down there is a LOT of usable cargo space.

I hate to say it, but after watching a few videos, the interior packaging seems to be compromised by the long hood. The leg room in the second and third rows is disappointing, I think there is more room in my old school CX-9. Still, looks good enough for kids back there but that 6' guy in the straight pipes review was squeezed back there. On the plus side, the width of the cabin seems to be similar to the first generation.

This dragged out reveal is really maddening. Still no performance numbers, driving impressions, or dimensions. Too much hype for what appears to be incremental improvement over the current car.

Overall kinda "meh" release process. Performance numbers seem just a tad lower than I'd hoped. Not a huge fan of the rear hatch either. The biggest issue for me is the all electric range, currently projected by some to be 21 mi...if so, that seems low. At the original 37mi estimate, it would've made a far more compelling case for me personally. They've really dragged things with this IMO

Last edited:
Dragggggged out and in one video the guy said driving it will not happen until end of March.

I agree with some of your comments, the shape of the rear looks very much like the Mazda3 hatch. Don't get me wrong, it does look good, but I do prefer the overall rear shape of the CX-9 (and the previous gen Mazda3 hatch's rear shape). Load floor does look a bit high, but with the 3rd row down there is a LOT of usable cargo space.
Ya I'm not in love with the rear, but I guess for the extra room i could live with it. Front seems more tweaked in looks rather than a full on change. My instinct is I like the current gen's looks better.

Power #s don't blow me away, maybe I fell for the hype. I think for me this will come down to how it drives. At this point I'm not calling up my dealer to try and secure a spot in line.

But if it drives circles around the rest as the CX9 did in 2016, with the 5000 lb towing, I'd be very sold at the prices being rumoured.

Agree with others that Mazda dragged the reveal of this flagship. Kind of disappointed they could have done better with the infotainment (one long horizontal panel would have done better).

Still waiting on the numbers (performance/pricing on trim levels). I might be in the minority but that thick D-pillar on the back is giving be Honda CR-V vibes, which is no good.

Latest posts

Back