Latest CX-90 teaser (12/13/2022)

Mazda Canada has some additional details now on the website regarding CX90 and it shows cargo capacity in 6 seats configuration: 2129 L. CX9 for comparison has 2017 L with the 2nd row folded.

CX90 number is very similar to current Acura MDX cargo capacity and the car itself is just slightly wider and boxier than CX9 so it makes sense.

For those saying that it is the same size as the CX-9, every video so far says it is bigger, with more room in all rows.

I have a feeling this will look much better in person.

For those saying that it is the same size as the CX-9, every video so far says it is bigger, with more room in all rows.

I have a feeling this will look much better in person.
Reviewers are saying it looks better in person but there are definitely some awkward angles (just like the 3). Priority on the CX90 was space so I suspect that's why it looks the way it does, to give more room for people on the interior.

Reviewers are saying it looks better in person but there are definitely some awkward angles (just like the 3). Priority on the CX90 was space so I suspect that's why it looks the way it does, to give more room for people on the interior.
I watched a few videos again, starting to like it tbh. Wonder if my CX9 will now start to look weird to me...

Some interesting info. on the Mazda.ca details. Seems to point to 2 versions of the 2.5 hybrid, a mild setup with less power (280 hp) and a high performance.
1675257085025.png

1675257011924.png

I hate to say it, but after watching a few videos, the interior packaging seems to be compromised by the long hood. The leg room in the second and third rows is disappointing, I think there is more room in my old school CX-9. Still, looks good enough for kids back there but that 6' guy in the straight pipes review was squeezed back there. On the plus side, the width of the cabin seems to be similar to the first generation.

This dragged out reveal is really maddening. Still no performance numbers, driving impressions, or dimensions. Too much hype for what appears to be incremental improvement over the current car.

I mean, he is 6' tall, after all. People of his size would likely be sitting in the front or in the 2nd row, with shorter/smaller people or kids in the 3rd row. Is there even a 3rd row in the midsize SUV class that would satisfy 6' people sitting in the front, 2nd row and 3rd row at the same time? Fullsize SUV, sure, but midsize?

I really don't see what the big deal is with the way Mazda's chosen to do this reveal. It is a big deal for the company - brand new model on a brand new architecture with a brand new inline 6 engine and a brand new PHEV. There's a lot to process, and maybe that's why they're doing piecemeal reviews? No idea. But it's clear that there are some who enjoy the teasers and the anticipation they create, and some who just want all the info in a big dump. Maybe its just because of "the algorithm", but I never saw this kind of marketing hype generated by the competition.

One thing is for sure - these teasers are designed to get people talking (and there is 8 pages of talk so far). Whether you like them or not, you're still talking about them! Lol

I second to this, the way it was revealed was fine as for the past month, Mazda made headlines of the automotive industry with this and actually kept everybody's attention. Are they slow in releasing the products ? Yes, they are but tbh I am not surprised as for such a small player to have 4 models released on a new platform in a span of 2 years its quite a lot. I would assume they have a dedicated team for the entire large platform, that's why they are releasing these gradually.

Also if the price stays as rumored in the Canadian market I don't really understand what more you can expect. The alternatives out there are basically none, unless you are paying way more for such a setup. People who realistically complain about the 3rd seat not being spacious enough, should get a full size or minivan. This is an SUV that occasionally will carry people in the 3rd row, therefore it would do the job for the majority of people.

I hate this NA mentality that everything needs to be f***** big and large. That's why they are not building the 6 anymore, because everybody wants big and large, even though they are driving daily with 2 to 4 people max in the car. GROSS.

Not sure why a lot of people are disappointed in the engine power. Must have been the hype of 3.3l turbo that made some hoping for an AMG or a M serie Mazda. Of course it depends where the CX-90 is priced, but if it is priced to overlap a honda Pilot and an Acura MDX ($35 to 50K USD), then I would say the engine performance is right where they should be.

Here is how it stacks up against the competition (price based on lowest possible MSRP. Research done as quick as I could, there might be mistakes in there):

Volvo XC-90 Core base model: 247HP, 258tq ($57,095)
Honda Pilot: 3.5l V6 285 HP, 262 tq ($40,495)
Toyota Highlander 265 HP, 309 tq ($37,755)
Acura MDX: 290HP, 267 tq ($49,925)
Kia Telluride 291 hp, 262 tq ($37,255)
Volvo XC-90 Plus/Ultimate: 295HP, 310 tq ($61,995)
Ford explorer: 300hp, 310tq ($38,355)

Mazda CX-90 : regular fuel low output: 280 hp - 332 tq
PHEV: 323 hp - 369 tq
Premium fuel high output: 340 hp - 369 tq

BMW X5: 335HP, 332 tq ($62,595)
Acura MDX type S: 355 HP, 354 tq ($67,895)
BMW X7: 375HP, 398 tq ($78,845)
Ford Explorer ST: 400HP, 415tq ($55,835)
Volvo XC90 Recharge: 455 HP ($71,900)

From the Mazda Canada website: "The Mild Hybrid electric vehicle (MHEV) model offers a choice of two Turbo inline 6 engines"

"The new turbo 3.3 L inline 6 engine is available in two variations: the first base version with 280 hp and up to 322 b-ft of torque; the second, our most powerfull engine to date with 340hp and up to 369 lb-ft torque"

So it is confirmed that there will be a detuned and higher performing version of the engine. Based on the legal portion of the webpage, the GS, GS-L and GT trim will get the low output engine, and the high output will be on the GT-P and Signature trim. For the americans here, the GS and GS-L are similar to your touring and sport trim.

From the Mazda Canada website: "The Mild Hybrid electric vehicle (MHEV) model offers a choice of two Turbo inline 6 engines"

"The new turbo 3.3 L inline 6 engine is available in two variations: the first base version with 280 hp and up to 322 b-ft of torque; the second, our most powerfull engine to date with 340hp and up to 369 lb-ft torque"

So it is confirmed that there will be a detuned and higher performing version of the engine. Based on the legal portion of the webpage, the GS, GS-L and GT trim will get the low output engine, and the high output will be on the GT-P and Signature trim. For the americans here, the GS and GS-L are similar to your touring and sport trim.
It's still a little bit confusing because nowhere else Mazda mentions 2 variations. It is hard to believe that they are coming with actually two different 3.3 L engines. I still think there is only one engine 3.3 L turbo but so far all the numbers were related to high octane, premium fuel. Now they finally started mentioning horsepower number related to regular gas (what most people will be using) and because it is significantly lower they refer this to "detuned" version. I might be mistaken so better just to wait for official specs.

I think they finally specify the difference between premium and regular fuel, that's why the difference in horsepower. Still significant drop.
I was thinking it was 2.5 but these in relation to the 6 cylinder make sense

It's still a little bit confusing because nowhere else Mazda mentions 2 variations. It is hard to believe that they are coming with actually two different 3.3 L engines. I still think there is only one engine 3.3 L turbo but so far all the numbers were related to high octane, premium fuel. Now they finally started mentioning horsepower number related to regular gas (what most people will be using) and because it is significantly lower they refer this to "detuned" version. I might be mistaken so better just to wait for official specs.
Except he’s quoting the website so it IS official.

@youri can you please provide a link on where you saw this info on Mazda’s site?

@youri can you please provide a link on where you saw this info on Mazda’s site?
Here it is:

First-ever 2024 Mazda CX-90 PHEV AWD 3-row Premium SUV | Mazda Canada.

On that page click “+ Learn more” under the turbo inline 6 picture.

And the trim engine offering was from your previous post (disclaimer 3). Where it states which trims get the mild hybrid inline 6’s and the PHEV trim.
Post in thread 'Latest CX-90 teaser (12/13/2022)'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/latest-cx-90-teaser-12-13-2022.123878507/post-6771455

1675275493824.png

1675275556748.png

Last edited:
Also interesting on that page is the use of “up to” for the torque but not for the hp number….

Here it is:

First-ever 2024 Mazda CX-90 PHEV AWD 3-row Premium SUV | Mazda Canada.

On that page click “+ Learn more” under the turbo inline 6 picture.

And the trim engine offering was from your previous post (disclaimer 3). Where it states which trims get the mild hybrid inline 6’s and the PHEV trim.
Post in thread 'Latest CX-90 teaser (12/13/2022)'
https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/latest-cx-90-teaser-12-13-2022.123878507/post-6771455
I think we are dealing with two different engine specs. That drop is way too large to be due to the grade of fuel used. I guess we will have to wait and see once more info. is available.

I think we are dealing with two different engine specs. That drop is way too large to be due to the grade of fuel used. I guess we will have to wait and see once more info. is available.
Initially I read that info also on Mazda website, along with the trunk capacity. Mazda Canada was the first place to actually post this info.
It would be interesting if Mazda went this route - lower trims getting detuned 3.3 L version with "only" 280HP and higher trims getting the more powerful version with 340HP. The only thing that is unclear is the fact that in Legal disclaimer they always mention the more powerful engine specs with the premium gas and the detuned version only with the regular gas. So what's going to happen if you fill up the tank with premium gas on detuned version or can you actually use regular gas for the more powerful version?

Last edited:
Back