Latest CX-90 teaser (12/13/2022)

It’s a three row SUV, either 6 or 7 passenger i believe. I would be very surprised if that third row can accommodate three seat, since the CX-90 is replacing the CX-9.

It’s a three row SUV, either 6 or 7 passenger i believe. I would be very surprised if that third row can accommodate three seat, since the CX-90 is replacing the CX-9.
Well, from the looks of it, it will continue to be a 2+2+third row.
I thought the same on the seats, but when i googled it this morning, the search results popped up. The text preview for the mazda.ca link says

Preview of the first-ever 8-passenger Mazda CX-90.

I just cut and pasted it now, but i was unsure if it is accurate so thought I'd ask. The landing page when you click through doesn't seem to mention that line, oddly.

I thought the same on the seats, but when i googled it this morning, the search results popped up. The text preview for the mazda.ca link says

I just cut and pasted it now, but i was unsure if it is accurate so thought I'd ask. The landing page when you click through doesn't seem to mention that line, oddly.

If I had to hazard a guess,. the 3rd row is just wide enough to fit 3 seat belts back there. This will probably be on some of the trim levels, but not all.

I think they have to do this to be competitive with other vehicles in the segment. The Kia/Hyundai twins, for example, offer 8 passenger versions. They have to offer feature parity (or at least the appearance of it). This market segment is very competitive.

If I had to hazard a guess,. the 3rd row is just wide enough to fit 3 seat belts back there. This will probably be on some of the trim levels, but not all.

I think they have to do this to be competitive with other vehicles in the segment. The Kia/Hyundai twins, for example, offer 8 passenger versions. They have to offer feature parity (or at least the appearance of it). This market segment is very competitive.
Ya, Highlander and Pilot too I've since noticed.

I know some 5 kid families, this class is just too small for them, NVM a 6 kid family (I will say I don't know one fam with 6... good lord)

Also, this might be a 7 seater but they may offer a version with a 2nd row bench seat that would allow a 2+3+3 configuration.

My sales guy has stated that it is as big inside as a Kia Telluride. That was their goal.

You can find it in the source for that web page at Mazda.ca. It will likely be an option for some trims.

1673792851856.jpeg

If the Pilot, Atlas, Higlander, Telluride, etc are all 7-8 places then it make sense for the CX-90 to be a 7-8 seater. Even though that definition of 3 seats in the third row is a bit of a stretch for all those vehicle.

The current CX-9 is too small when compared to the competition in its class.

The unbox video shows 4 captain seats.
That indicates that, at least, a 7-seat setup is available.
Not sure about 8-seat yet.

I think you'll be pretty close with the hp rating. I'm hoping for 340 or higher, with 380 or higher torque. But we'll see what Mazda does. I'm actually more concerned with how its going to look lol.

I'm thinking that they'll start phasing out the CX-9 shortly after the CX-90 is released, and it will be retired completely once the CX-70 is announced. The CX-9 has been around since 2006 I believe, so after 16 years it's earned it's retirement. I don't think the CX-70 will have 3 rows, but I'm thinking that it'll have about the same cargo capability as the current CX-9.

I'm REALLY hoping they can pull all of this off!! I want Mazda to succeed.
3.3l inline 6
340hp 369lb-ft with 93 octane.

Could be a Type S competitor (which is $70K!). Not sure if a PHEV or just inline 6.

Last edited:
Back