Large Number of Used/CPO CX-90s Highlight Pricing Problems?

I posted this on another sub-thread here, but I think it is its own issue.

I'm a car nut who follows the car market really closely before ever making a purchase, and I've been following the CX90 since before its reveal and the CX70 (i.e., the CX90 without a third row :cautious:) since before its reveal this week. I love Mazdas (we have a 2019 CX-5) and love the look of the CX90 but was waiting for the CX70 since slightly smaller and less costly would be better for me. But, as most now know, the CX70 is CX90 size, without a third row. So, being a little thrifty, I pivoted back to focus on the CX90 since there are gently used or CPOs out there to be found - and I actually prefer buying CPO vehicles with 15K or less miles for the cost discount and increased warranty.

Well, I was shocked to see how many CX90s - in every trim - are available with less than 10K miles, even lots with 5K or less and the prices are almost universally 17-20% less - with 19% showing up again and again, so lets call that the median discount.

The number of CX90's available seem really high for a new model - i.e, there hasn't even been enough time for people to be 2 years out on a lease and returning those vehicles. There are two other possibilities.

First, these weren't selling as well as Mazda hoped; therefore, dealerships shifted many of them to loaners and "manager's cars" so they could be sold for less as used vehicles without setting off red flags about "huge discounts" on the new model. And let's face it; with near-luxury pricing that was much higher than Mazda's historical ranges, the possibility that many would go unsold - especially at the higher trim levels - was a known risk. (I mean, my wife drives a beautiful premium package BMW X3 we bought for $40K with less than 15K miles. The new CX90 has to compete with CPO luxury cars too, albeit the X5 is a more comparable competitor than the X3.)

Second, and this is the uglier option, people bought the vehicles and returned them because of QC issues. We've all heard about some of those.

I suspect that the pricing issue (and the loaner / manager's car games that led to) is the primary factor, and probably by a wide margin.

Have others noticed this? Any different opinions on why so many are available used or CPO and at such considerable discounts? If its just the market talking on the pricing: cool, I'll buy a very gently CPO one with less than 10K miles and be happy with the discount.

Those low mileage ones are almost guaranteed to have been dealer service loaners being sold as CPOs

Dealers selling demo units. Most people I know with a CX-90 LOVE them. I see no reason to get another car as this is the best car I have owned in my 69 years! My lease is up in 30 months and I will get another one of these as it's perfect for me.

The BMW X7 is the direct competitor to the CX-90 as it is a 203", 3-Row. But the X5 is big enough to suffice. Why I ordered an X5 as soon as they dropped the minivan sized 2-row as the CX-70.

As to why so many CPO CX-90s I am not sure. It is selling better than the CX-9, but not as well as hoped. They sold about 3,310 in January 2024 here in the U.S. The problem is they have no stepping stone to the CX-90. You buy one of the down market compacts (CX-5/50) and your next step is a full size 3-row up market CX-90. It sits as an outlier in their lineup. Like Europe, the CX-70 should have been a smaller midsize and come first.

Back