Jedidiah55's KL Swap

Jedidiah55

McNoobin'
:
2003 Protege 5 V6 GT
I've been putting off writing a thread for almost a year now, and I am by no means an expert on the topic
That's my engine its from 93 Probe ATX for 750 shipped with liftgate service
IMG_0563.jpg

Lantis Type R MTX w/LSD 550 picked up
took everything off the p5 tranny and put on the kl tranny except pressure plate
wiring harness from a 94 626 with ecu 30-45 bucks at a local junkyard (which raised their prices now)
Kl02 VAF 20
intermediate shaft 30 wrong bracket so i have a custom made one thank god for cutting torches and welders
flexy hoses from advance auto parts 1" to 1 1/4" 36 inches and 30 inches i believe 35 dollars
part number 72082 25 bucks
i have the wrong size cause i listened to my friend
extended the kl throttle cable mount to use p5 throttle cable
used stock p5 PS pressure hose and reservoir and half the return hose from the kl and the p5 and connected them
ebay headers and down pipe 100 shipped
used stock p5 shift linkage
used p5 mounts
IMG_0565.jpg

i have my ecu in my engine bay to tweak my wiring and this is before my car was running
my ecu now sits in the glove box

wiring
i had all my p5 tranny sensor on the kl tranny so i let the p5 harness control the starter but i wired my kl starter wire to the p5 starter fuse
i grounded the fuel pump relay wire not the pin on my p5 ecu its purple wire
for power i used the p5 battery wire pin 4 to my kl 1A and the rest are from fuses
cooling fan p5 wire 47 to kl ecu pin 2P and 3L
used my extra temp sensor for p5, i extended the connector and now i have a temp gauge
battery light fix!!!!!!
part i used about 14 bucks after tax
2012-03-25175415.jpg

wired up
2012-03-25150245.jpg

the explanation
i stole from
http://www.mp3car.com/the-faq-emporium/117895-faq-relays-how-they-work-and-how-to-wire-it-up.html

Relay.jpg

86 needs to be connected for a power source from the alt or a power source thats only now when the car is idling
85 ground
87a grounded to 85
87 battery
30 need to go to the battery light wire yellow/black wire and your battery light will work
pin diagram
relay1.jpg

things deleted from P5
cruise control never used it, its not a safe feature to have

wiring deleted from P5
everything engine except 1 temp sensor and a/c wire still working on a/c

wiring from kl deleted
EGR stuff, a/c, tranny stuff except starter wires

something has also been a little off with my car and the more things on the car i change the more i have to change
idk how my car was running so smoothly but after i change my O2 sensors slowly i have been redoing everything

as it sits today
2011-10-31145659.jpg

want to work on a ram air set up

I'm getting about 30 MPGs

my old fsde FTL
0118011146.jpg

dropped a valve which got stuck in the exhuast port and when the piston came up it cracked my block and destroyed the piston head

Last edited:
it took about 3 months, but i worked on it a total of 9 days, for about 50 hours, i worked 2 jobs and was taking classes about 300 miles away from where the swap was at, but it wouldn't of taken very long if i stayed in one place

i wanted to go with a turbo set up like the eco-boost motors, for a little extra fun

and damn the wiring, 95% of it is right but something is missing
I'm trying to use the fan method for adjusting my tps sensor, to do it you jump the TEN and the GND pins and move the TPS till your fans kick on and then you adjust it back untill the fans kick off however my fans don't kick now...Idk if my kl diagnosis box isn't hooked up right or if its my TPS cause when I move it, I can hear a difference in the engine. But when I ground the TEN pin out of my ECU still nothing... so idk(deadhorse
p5 pin 47 to kl pin 2P

Last edited:
it took about 3 months, but i worked on it a total of 9 days, for about 50 hours, i worked 2 jobs and was taking classes about 300 miles away from where the swap was at, but it wouldn't of taken very long if i stayed in one place

wish I had the knowledge to do this kinda stuff. Great work..weird seeing that ford logo on engine in a Mazda. Even though both same company.

its not that hard, just start on a small scale and work your way up
motor and tranny together-->get harness and trim it--->throw on motor--->pull old motor out----> drop new motor in and position harness while putting it in--->connect axles, hoses, and mounts----->then wiring--->then tuning
im still stuck on those last steps.... but its idling aroung 600-800 and running a little rich

haven't dyno'd it yet, but i'm at least at 150 a good number is probably 165 max 175

i was thinking the stock hp was 170 but it's 164 so i'm probably around 160 with 150 torque if i'm lucky i could be 170whp with 160 ft/lb

Last edited:
yeah stock engine, ebay headers, and 2.5" exhuast to 3", and a slighty tune for now, im going to build a ram air over the weekend if i can and have it pulling out cold air from behind my driver side fog light but from beneath the car

great. kl was watching videos and I like their sound but I'm turbo.

I do not spend more money just by the sound lol but I really like your work.

thanks my goal was to do the swap under 2k, and for it to be fully functional and reliable with a little extra on top
(i think im at 1.5k) with a/c depends if its new or not ill probably finish this at 1.8k

itsn't not the best but i'm 20 this is my first engine swap and i'm going to try to do a twin turbo set up afterwards but i might just go single turbo due to cost, and i have a t3/t4 with a haltech sitting in my living room

Back