Neutral safety switch 5 speed Protege5

My p5 has these two 15/16 size bolts with 2 green wires for each coming from the transmission...I broke the wires on both..what aren't hey? And I put spades on them them and connected them dunno if ts right..help

There's two switches on the transmission.
One is the neutral switch which tells the ECU when the transmission is in neutral, and the other is a reverse switch which turns on the reverse lights when you're in reverse.

They are both simple on/off switches and if you managed to reconnect the wires, you should be fine.

If the reverse switch is broken, your reverse lights won't come on, and if the neutral switch is broken, you'll get a code.

The ECU needs to know when you are in neutral (or when the clutch is in) so that it can send the engine to idle.

Screenshot_20220512-072033_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

This is the reverse light switch.
The neutral switch looks similar.

Screenshot_20220512-083413_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
There's two switches on the transmission.
One is the neutral switch which tells the ECU when the transmission is in neutral, and the other is a reverse switch which turns on the reverse lights when you're in reverse.

They are both simple on/off switches and if you managed to reconnect the wires, you should be fine.

If the reverse switch is broken, your reverse lights won't come on, and if the neutral switch is broken, you'll get a code.

The ECU needs to know when you are in neutral (or when the clutch is in) so that it can send the engine to idle.

View attachment 309979

This is the reverse light switch.
The neutral switch looks similar.

View attachment 309981
Ok so we're green wires go into the bolt part..they broke flush to the plastic..so I cut the plastic off and it's soldered wire onto 2 spades...i tried to solder no luck..so I just put electrical spades on the wires and slid them on..but not sure if there on the right connections...

Ok so we're green wires go into the bolt part..they broke flush to the plastic..so I cut the plastic off and it's soldered wire onto 2 spades...i tried to solder no luck..so I just put electrical spades on the wires and slid them on..but not sure if there on the right connections...

You should be fine if you have a connection.
It doesn't matter if you mixed up the two green wires. It will work either way.

You can easily test the one by seeing if your reverse lights come on.

The other one will throw a code if there is no connection.

Make sure that the spades aren't touching the metal case of the switch. That would short it out.

Put a jump box on got it to start. Cream was written but still that dragging labored sound. And motor sounds of.. could I skipped time?

It's probably your IAC relearning how to idle the car.

It takes about 100 miles of driving at different engine temperatures and different things for it to learn.

Your car will stumble at idle and maybe even even stall until it settles down.

Whenever the battery is disconnected for more than 10 minutes, it needs to relearn.

Bro...if I could I would promote you in life. Like an angel of my questions sent here to save me from frustration and anxiety.
.with that being said..can I bleed the clutch on my own?

..can I bleed the clutch on my own?

Yes, that's quite easy to do.

The only problem is that you will need a helper to pump the clutch and hold the clutch pedal in while you open the bleeder screw.

Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir and keep it topped up while you're bleeding the clutch.
If you drain the reservoir dry while bleeding, you'll have to start over.

The clutch and brakes use the same reservoir.

Screenshot_20220513-083253_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

A bad or disconnected neutral switch will also affect the idle. If the clutch is depressed and the clutch switch is good, the ECU will idle the engine. If the car is in neutral, the clutch isn't depressed and the neutral switch is bad, the ECU doesn't know that it's in neutral so it assumes you are driving and controlling the engine RPM with your foot and won't control the idle. Found this out after replacing my engine when the connections on the neutral switch weren't fully seated - it threw a code and I figured it out.

Reactions: pcb
If you are at 0 throttle and in gear, the ECU turns the fuel injectors completely off until the cars speed drops to about 2 mph.

The ECU needs to know if the clutch is depressed or if it's in neutral so it can tell the IAC to idle the car.

Back