It was bound to happen

Your set-up is very similar to mine. I really think it all boils down to tuning. And at the last tune, I LOST almost 10whp. One question though.. did you keep your stock wastegate or did you use the shorter arm one that came with the T-28?

nvmsp said:
Damn. They should be able to figure out wats wrong. Something isnt right in the tune. Has he messed with the timing as far as changing the stock timing?

Either way obviously the car needs more tuning. Have you lost to cars on the street, is that why you say 1st and 2nd are slow? Or does the car just not feel all that fast? Because even with that much horsepower you should be beating stock Evo's etc.

Even going to the track I didn't get any better than 14.3 in the 1/4. The timing is done by the Haltech. There is no more stock settings on my car. Everything has to be tuned now - fuel/timing, etc. The only thing that HASN'T been changed is the wastegate from the old 25 since the new wastegate didnt fit. I think I have enough room now to switch it out. The stocker is only good for up to 15psi while the newer one is meant for up to 30. But whether this has any major effects on the car or not, I don't know. I asked him about the wastegate and it was supposed to be "fine". Now I have my doubts. Then again, I'm trying to think of any possibilities at this point.

laracroft said:
Even going to the track I didn't get any better than 14.3 in the 1/4. The timing is done by the Haltech. There is no more stock settings on my car. Everything has to be tuned now - fuel/timing, etc. The only thing that HASN'T been changed is the wastegate from the old 25 since the new wastegate didnt fit. I think I have enough room now to switch it out. The stocker is only good for up to 15psi while the newer one is meant for up to 30. But whether this has any major effects on the car or not, I don't know. I asked him about the wastegate and it was supposed to be "fine". Now I have my doubts. Then again, I'm trying to think of any possibilities at this point.

Lara, your car is definitly a low 13 sec car. When did you run the 14.3? When I ran against you we both had bad launches, but you bogged and missed second and still trapped 100 but ran a 15 flat and caught right back up to me. I didn't see you run any faster than a 14.7 that night. And I dont think 15psi on your turbo yeilding that horsepower is bad. Maybe a 5whp drop on the next dyno is not something to complain about making it all a huge argument. Maybe it was hotter out that day or maybe it was the tune.

I dont know why 300whp was promised on that turbo at that psi. Even Rich on your turbo at 14psi didn't hit 300whp and His tune is Perfect to the T. When you say 1st and 2nd are slow I dont understand. At the track you were spinning both gears and wouldn't get traction till 3rd. I wouldn't blame the tune for the times you ran. With better tires and a practicing your launch your car would surprize you. I had the toyo proxy 4's and my all season tires gave me better traction than those. You even told me that it's hard launching at the track and you needed more practice. Not the cars fault.

Like you said, your best bet for the car is to wait until mine, fredo's, and the other cars are done for him to focus on yours. But I would give him a call cause everyother time I make the trip to his shop, more and more cars are waiting in line to be worked on. I dont know what to say, you keep putting him down, but he's only one man running a shop with alot of stress on him from his customers demanding that their cars be finished first. I guess either find another shop that can tune the haltech (there are plenty). He wants someone to give him a hand at the shop, but he's real picky when it comes to hiring mechanics. I know my car will make good power with the setup Im going with and Manuel promised my car to be built, tuned and ready for the trip to tampa. He's already had the car for 3 weeks but I didn't give him the deposit until the week after. And now it will be another 2 weeks before I get it back. But, for what Im going to have after he's done is well worth the wait. Manuel told me my car will be finished because he wants to see the times I could get along with superprotege's on that sunday at the track.

After and when you attempt to tune your car again, take it to the track. And then let someone else drive your car and see what times they can get. Or do this now.

1st and 2nd are already tricky when the car is stock, thats why i race from
2nd gear roll anyway(not to mention clutch,tranny,Lsd,tires), it seems to always work out for me when racing.

In the mean time you should race something like an Evo, Sti, or something along these lines of a fast car from a 2nd gear roll. See what happens...

I dunno, just wanna see you enjoy your car.

Lara, what type of spark plugs are you running? What is the gapping?

At what boost levels are we going to need to be worrying about blowing out the spark??

Beau was blowing out spark at 16 psi in ddogg77s car i believe.

I don't see why lara made such low numbers, at 15 psi, on a 28RS, you are moving quite a bit of air. As long as the tune is good, she should make closer to 300 horses depending on elevation, and ambient temperature.

JOMO said:
Lara, your car is definitly a low 13 sec car. When did you run the 14.3? When I ran against you we both had bad launches, but you bogged and missed second and still trapped 100 but ran a 15 flat and caught right back up to me. I didn't see you run any faster than a 14.7 that night. And I dont think 15psi on your turbo yeilding that horsepower is bad. Maybe a 5whp drop on the next dyno is not something to complain about making it all a huge argument. Maybe it was hotter out that day or maybe it was the tune.

I dont know why 300whp was promised on that turbo at that psi. Even Rich on your turbo at 14psi didn't hit 300whp and His tune is Perfect to the T. When you say 1st and 2nd are slow I dont understand. At the track you were spinning both gears and wouldn't get traction till 3rd. I wouldn't blame the tune for the times you ran. With better tires and a practicing your launch your car would surprize you. I had the toyo proxy 4's and my all season tires gave me better traction than those. You even told me that it's hard launching at the track and you needed more practice. Not the cars fault.

Like you said, your best bet for the car is to wait until mine, fredo's, and the other cars are done for him to focus on yours. But I would give him a call cause everyother time I make the trip to his shop, more and more cars are waiting in line to be worked on. I dont know what to say, you keep putting him down, but he's only one man running a shop with alot of stress on him from his customers demanding that their cars be finished first. I guess either find another shop that can tune the haltech (there are plenty). He wants someone to give him a hand at the shop, but he's real picky when it comes to hiring mechanics. I know my car will make good power with the setup Im going with and Manuel promised my car to be built, tuned and ready for the trip to tampa. He's already had the car for 3 weeks but I didn't give him the deposit until the week after. And now it will be another 2 weeks before I get it back. But, for what Im going to have after he's done is well worth the wait. Manuel told me my car will be finished because he wants to see the times I could get along with superprotege's on that sunday at the track.

Ok, let's go through this again because I don't think you're understanding or were paying attention to that one time at the track.

1) I only spun once and it was my first run. The funny thing is, it was my BEST run.. even with the lost traction. Oh yeah and after my first run, my radio blew out. Niceeeee.

2) The second run was WORSE overall and I didnt get wheel spin because my trap time was MUCH better. I had just missed a gear while shifting and that was it. I ended up being in the high 14's or low 15's.. I forget. (which btw, I heard you bragged about beating me since you raced next to me... yeah.... I heard about that. Not cool. But hey, I missed a gear, so if it makes you feel better... whatever.)

3) Mike then tried my car because he thought I WAS AT FAULT because I sucked as a driver,.. but lo and behold.... it bogged down in 1st and 2nd with NO SPIN and his time was in the 15's. MEANING, it's not me.. IT IS the car and there is video to prove it. Driving has nothing to do with tuning.

Overall, the tune is bad. There was only wheel spin one time and the rest of the time, the car bogged down. There was no problem in the launches and there is NO REASON why it did this. The fact is, the car is supposed to be running in the 13's, ask anyone... EVEN Manny will tell you this because he's the one that said it. It confused him too why I didnt do better. And yeah, he wanted to see how my car did along side the super gutted protege with slicks and race gas too. Good luck keeping up with that car. Just dont get your hopes up THAT high. That car does in the low 12's, almost 11's. You won't be anywhere near that and neither will alot of people on here. Thats called REAL HIGH expectations.

Which reminds me... Alejo ran in the low 14's with spikes to 15 psi with stock EVERYTHING except for a CAI. Kinda sucks to know that he did better than both of us huh?

So what does that mean? It means that a stock MSP with 15 psi does the same as a highly modded MSP at 15 psi. Does that sound right? Nope. And if that were the case, do you think anyone would be modding anymore when they can just up the boost on their MSP's???

And yes, the car with the present mods should be closer to 300whp with maybe between 15p to 20psi. There are a few on here that already does this. 15psi on my turbo should be around 275whp. It's a fact given the other MSP's on here with the same mods. Check other threads if you don't believe me. There is no way that my car should be 240whp and especially go from being 253whp a month prior to that. Can you use driver error for those numbers??? I think not.

And I never said Manny was a bad guy. But when I MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to go down there for him to check my car, for money I already paid him for in advance, and he chooses to work on another car for a few hours and work on mine for 1, that tends to tick me off. Especially when I have to make a longer trip out there than anyone else and make special arrangements with other people to watch my dog, sleep on a sofa, have my disabled brother tote me around town and be tired as hell when I walk through my door at 10pm at night two hours away because my car just wasn't finished in time, making it a wasted trip. Or the fact that he forgot a bracket that holds my A/C belt on, causing it to nearly fall off at the track after the 2nd run and have a need to adjust it everytime I go out on the road thereafter. OR THE FACT that the wrong clutch was put on making it nearly impossible to daily drive any slower than 30mph without the whole car shaking. OR ALSO that I had NO BRAKES after I got it back from him either when I have a kid that usually sits in the backseat of my car which is a big issue for me when I can't STOP. So overall, my complaints are justified. I never brought them to light until now because I thought you should know about all this so you can be prepared ahead of time.

And yes, he should get more help, but he's one of those people that likes to be hands on with everything. I don't blame him, but when it interferes with either doing the job right or causing delays in build time, it's a problem. That goes for anyone running a shop. But I'm also not going to waste my time waiting around to get something fixed when it should have been right from the start or at least by my 4-5th trip down there. I am NOT to blame and I'm not a noob when it comes to my car. I know how it should act and no one ever blames me for wanting s**t that's so out of wack that I dream about wanting the impossible. I'm tired of getting walked on and settling for so-so work when it should be what was promised. And you want to hear something funny....you sound like I did earlier this year.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123625070

Last edited:
Well Lara. I'm sorry for what you went through with Manuel, I really hope he fixes everything for you. Thanks for the headsup and letting us know what you went through.

I never bragged about beating you on that one run. "Yeah yeah, I beat her when she bogged and missed a gear". No, never happened. Thats nothing to be proud about. If we had a perfect pass, nobody bogging, missing a gear, then it would be worth talking about.

And my goals hp and track wise are different than yours. Im going for big #'s, and quick times. Im going with a different setup than you, and my goal is easily attainable.

Thats cool. Just so long as you know that if you're looking to get 400whp at the track, you're going to need to lighten up that car, purchase slicks and probably get some "juice". What all are you getting done? The parts you already mentioned aren't going to get you those numbers. What aren't you sharing????

laracroft said:
Thats cool. Just so long as you know that if you're looking to get 400whp at the track, you're going to need to lighten up that car, purchase slicks and probably get some "juice". What all are you getting done? The parts you already mentioned aren't going to get you those numbers. What aren't you sharing????

I will prob lighten up the car, Slicks will be purchased soon. And Im not going to be using nitrous.

You will need different pistons if you go with nitrous. Can't use the ones he's putting in. I want nitrous. : )

avarela86 said:
You will need different pistons if you go with nitrous. Can't use the ones he's putting in. I want nitrous. : )

Actually fredo, the ones going in are nitrous friendly. Some things you dont even know. HHAHAHA.

Hopefully next week the soul of JOMO's p5 will be entering my car (MPI + extra injectors). Should be a huge difference. There isn't a big difference between 5psi and 10psi on my car due to the insanely rich afr i'm getting at 10psi, where as the afr is better at 5psi. I already heavily built block and an fmic, and exhaust, and ported and polished everything. i think the mpi + extra injectors (set up for the max on stock turbo, 15psi?) should be the icing on the cake, or mainly most of the cake and a bucket load of icing, unless i go with a turbo upgrade later on. wondering what i need or should get after mpi+extra injectors. don't mean to thread jack

smo0f said:
Hopefully next week the soul of JOMO's p5 will be entering my car (MPI + extra injectors). Should be a huge difference. There isn't a big difference between 5psi and 10psi on my car due to the insanely rich afr i'm getting at 10psi, where as the afr is better at 5psi. I already heavily built block and an fmic, and exhaust, and ported and polished everything. i think the mpi + extra injectors (set up for the max on stock turbo, 15psi?) should be the icing on the cake, or mainly most of the cake and a bucket load of icing, unless i go with a turbo upgrade later on. wondering what i need or should get after mpi+extra injectors. don't mean to thread jack

Its cool. Maybe a 3inch downpipe or a MAM manifold. Im pretty sure that 15psi isn't maxing out the stock turbo.

JOMO said:
Its cool. Maybe a 3inch downpipe or a MAM manifold. Im pretty sure that 15psi isn't maxing out the stock turbo.

I thought that's all the stock WGA can hold (14.7 psi to be exact, read it somewhere here). I still have the stock s-pipe but it's pnp'd (same for header). Would the t25 benefit much from a 3" dp? Wouldn't that also require a different header, at least it is preferred to change the header to accomodate?

smo0f said:
I thought that's all the stock WGA can hold (14.7 psi to be exact, read it somewhere here). I still have the stock s-pipe but it's pnp'd (same for header). Would the t25 benefit much from a 3" dp? Wouldn't that also require a different header, at least it is preferred to change the header to accomodate?

Benefit from the Dp. Hell yes. We put a 3'' GHL dp on sandspeeds car about a little over a month ago and there is a nice difference and he is still using the stock exhaust mani. A few companies make 3'' dp to fit the stock mani. You would get more power with changing the stock callaway mani, but the power diff is still noticable with the stock one.

i'm probably going to wait until the manifold cracks, as that seems to be expected. the GHL dp is a bit pricey, is it really that much better from say corksports or whoever elses

smo0f said:
i'm probably going to wait until the manifold cracks, as that seems to be expected. the GHL dp is a bit pricey, is it really that much better from say corksports or whoever elses

Well its top of the line products. I havent seen a corksport dp in person, but the GHL looks and performs awsome. I also thought I read somewere that the corksport tends to crack. I guess read up on what people think about the diff dp's.

I might elect to go for an MPI 3" oval tubed DP as it is reasonably priced. I believe the CS cracking was due to lack of motor mounts and/or better hangers. thanks for the info

Back