Issue with New 2024 Mazda CX-5 Turbo seats

New 24 Mazda CX5 turbo seats just killing my back. Any thoughts?
You can play with the settings a bit to see if you find decent position.

But if you cant - Yes the CX5 gen2/2.5 seats (mainly the higher trims and also ones with ventilation) are on the small spectrum and also have bad design overall - especially the seat area and ergonomics.
Also the left and right side of the same seat are quite different and not the same as in other cars. Depending on your body you may end up sitting bad on the bolsters which shifts your natural posture/balance. There is also a metal horizontal stop bar inside the back rest. No clue why Mazda made them thet way. The cushion foam is also thin and compresses badly in the middle. There is more but I will stop here.

IMG_5520.jpeg

IMG_5521.jpeg

Not much to do. There are lots of complaints and for some folks they just dont fit well, for others are even painful. Sometimes its the seat back , sometimes its the seat pad. Some people adjust over it with time, others put addon cushions, some have the right body structure for this seat, others have back health issues and some sold their cars , etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is one of the few things I like about my 2023 cx5 turbo. I have done several 800 mile days with no issues and my wife says the same.
I just did 2 hours in my cx5 and mid to lower back was not happy. My other cars, Lexus LS and Sienna are ok. Not sure why. Thought they were good on test drive. Now my butt might be stuck!

Upvote 0
i am sure physical size has a lot to do with it. I am 5'9" and wife is 5'2". we are taking off for Sedona from Montana on Friday and may do it in one shot.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear you're not able to get comfortable in the thing.

All I can suggest, really, is to play with the various settings in order to find the best height and tilt angles.

The shape of one's backside is so unique, along with the obvious questions of muscles, spinal/hip issues, etc. Hard to know what'll be necessary with a given person and seat, in terms of making it work in the event it's uncomfortable.

Myself, I've probably sat in and/or test-driven a good 50 vehicles in the past decade. Only found two seats that felt really good. Both Mazdas, as it turns out. Purchased each, in both cases.

Hands down, the most comfortable seating position I've ever had was on a carved tree trunk bench, at a big park/garden. Hard as a rock, of course, but the shape was perfect. Sat for hours. Very supportive, the whole length of the upper leg. The right curve around the glutes and hams. Just the right angles. To be honest, I've never found a seat that holds a candle to that log. Despite being hard as a rock. Go figure.

If I get to the point of needing to replace the seat in the CX-5, I'll see if I can do a Recaro ErgoMed. Those have the right shape, support, firmness ... at least, for me.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all input. I am 5'7 165 lbs so I usually fit in seats. I sold cars for 11 years and have been in all of them. Best is Volvo, next are many German, then Honda. My Toyota and Lexus seats are ok. Should have taken a longer test drive.

Upvote 0
Germans gave great seats. Then some other Euro brands and some Fords and FCA cars.
Mazda messed up the cx5 seats but they did improve the new generation CX 00 platforms a bit. They changed the metal frame and cushion design. Still not good but better.

I hope you find a good position that works because otherwise almost everything else with the car is very nice for that price range.

p.s whats ironic is the gen-1 CX5 has great and longer seats.

Upvote 0
You can play with the settings a bit to see if you find decent position.

But if you cant - Yes the CX5 gen2/2.5 seats (mainly the higher trims and also ones with ventilation) are on the small spectrum and also have bad design overall - especially the seat area and ergonomics.
Also the left and right side of the same seat are quite different and not the same as in other cars. Depending on your body you may end up sitting bad on the bolsters which shifts your natural posture/balance. There is also a metal horizontal stop bar inside the back rest. No clue why Mazda made them thet way. The cushion foam is also thin and compresses badly in the middle. There is more but I will stop here.

View attachment 326769

View attachment 326771

Not much to do. There are lots of complaints and for some folks they just dont fit well, for others are even painful. Sometimes its the seat back , sometimes its the seat pad. Some people adjust over it with time, others put addon cushions, some have the right body structure for this seat, others have back health issues and some sold their cars , etc.
I think just a fit problem as no real hot pressure points. But I start to squirm and adjust after about 45 minutes. You think they will "break" in? Only have 900 miles on it.

Upvote 0
The foam breaks a bit after time if that is the problem for you. Only way to know is drive more and tweak seat angle and lumbar. Because the seat is small it needs lots of try and test.
If after a while still no improvement then it may not be the right fit :(

Upvote 0
p.s whats ironic is the gen-1 CX5 has great and longer seats.

That's what I found, as well. The 2016's seats felt much better than the ~2018 or any of the newer ones. I think they are a bit longer, a bit more supportive in the "right" places ... at least, for my own backside.

In the Model3 and Model6 seating, for example, the ~2012 vintage fits me great. Other vintages, not nearly so much.

Ya never know.

Upvote 0
That is one of the few things I like about my 2023 cx5 turbo. I have done several 800 mile days with no issues and my wife says the same.
I agree, though I realize seats are highly individual. Having a heck of time finding a comfortable office chair but I've been fine in my CX-5s going back to 2014. In fact it's one of the key items I look at on a test drive. Having back problems, it doesn't take me more than 10 minutes to know something is off. But this is more about geometry than cushioning. A sore butt comes from lack of cushioning, which I can agree with as a complaint for some of Mazda's seats, especially the CX-50 which are more firm than the CX-5.

Upvote 0
I agree that CX5 seats are not comfortable at all, but thinking positively - this may have saved some from falling asleep
They might have changed them since '21 but still my five cents:
I never used lumbar support and everything was fine
Before one of the 5hr drives I decided to make the ride a bit more comfortable and pumped up lumbar support, can't remember if it was all the way or half
The ride felt comfortable but the very next morning my back started to hurt pretty bad
I turned it off and never had an issue again

Upvote 0
I've done probably a dozen two day road trips of around 18-20 hours of driving in my CX-5 Turbo and the seats definitely break in a little, but are also not the best for long trip comfort.

I wonder how many car seat suppliers there are nowadays, because it seems all seats these days basically have the same dimensions regardless of the size of the vehicle. 20 inches wide must be the industry standard or something.

Upvote 0
Not many. Everything is outsourced to a small number of companies for seat frames.
The same story for the foam cushioning on the seat frame and for the leather skins.
The car manufactures just assemble and sell nowadays. Also a lot of the parts are same between models to make scaling production easier and faster.

My experience is that Mazda usually uses the cheaper options vs BMW or Mercedes for example who often times go nextlevel.

Looking closely at the vynil "leather" scraps that are part of the seat lestherette skin (not the perforated parts in the middle which is coated leather) and one would notice its different parts stitched together and every part has different texture even. Some are smoother some are very rough on a random basis. Only the Signature trim is bit different.
Also the CX5 platform is quite old now. Its long overdue for real refresh interior wise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not many. Everything is outsourced to a small number of companies for seat frames.
The same story for the foam cushioning on the seat frame and for the leather skins.
The car manufactures just assemble and sell nowadays. Also a lot of the parts are same between models to make scaling production easier and faster.

My experience is that Mazda usually uses the cheaper options vs BMW or Mercedes for example who often times go nextlevel.

Looking closely at the vynil "leather" scraps that are part of the seat lestherette skin (not the perforated parts in the middle which is coated leather) and one would notice its different parts stitched together and every part has different texture even. Some are smoother some are very rough on a random basis. Only the Signature trim is bit different.
Also the CX5 platform is quite old now. Its long overdue for real refresh interior wise and exterior wise especially the back end.
fixed it for you :)

Upvote 0
Idk, I still think it's one of the best looking CUV's. And judging by the design of the CX-70/90, their latest and greatest, I wouldn't expect big changes. In fact the overall design is very similar.

Upvote 0
The 6 and CX-9 have the best seats that accommodate the most people. The CX5 seats are too small in width and depth and also that front bolster that pushes up your legs and is uncomfortable for larger people. Skinny people usually don't have issues with the CX5 seats. The padding was made softer in the 2024s

Upvote 0
The 6 and CX-9 have the best seats that accommodate the most people. The CX5 seats are too small in width and depth and also that front bolster that pushes up your legs and is uncomfortable for larger people. Skinny people usually don't have issues with the CX5 seats. The padding was made softer in the 2024s
any chance you know the 2024 driver seat cushion part no. for the ventilated one?
Unfortunately the public catalogs are still up to 2023.

Upvote 0
Back