Is the CX-60 a dud?

Lots of reviews like that, all of them based on the early versions that were given to the journalists. Most issues have been promptly addressed by Mazda since. But to be fair, they shouldn't have given a half-baked product to the journalists, that's a marketing fail.

Lots of reviews like that, all of them based on the early versions that were given to the journalists. Most issues have been promptly addressed by Mazda since. But to be fair, they shouldn't have given a half-baked product to the journalists, that's a marketing fail.
Totally agree.Still sucks because people are reading these reviews and could be basing their decisions on a half-baked product, as you've said @Gajdzin
I've seen a lot of complaints on the ride and saw the TSBs released to address that. Some of this journalist's concerns are the same complaints about the infotainment unit. I expected more groaning about the drivetrain but that seems only a mild concern.
Their concerns over the wood and styling on the interior are only personal choice so I don't hold much weight on it. I actually think it looks awesomely art-deco and I am excited to see it in person.

That review is from 19 hours ago. Not on an early version. That is what worries me.

That review is from 19 hours ago. Not on an early version. That is what worries me.
My buddy who is an automotive journalst tells me Mazda has not delivered a new batch of cars, from recent production, to be tested - he got one recently to review, from early production, he had to wait half a year, there was a long queue before him...

Looking at this review:

The CX-60 comes off as an absolute dud. Is this a one off thing or have Mazda botched the vehicle?

I hope the CX-70 and CX-90 are not like this.

Imo, as a PHEV yes it has lots of issues, as an ICE, no. My PHEV goes today and my Diesel arrives tomorrow!

They have lots to improve.

What I have noticed is a lot of the first customers of the CX60 are previous Mazda owners, so they are used to very firm suspension, so they are happy with the CX60. But the Diesel variant rides so much better than the PHEV, I was surprised just by how much.

Mazda really needed to incorporate a better more advanced suspension design for the PHEV.

However in saying that, in the UK, nothing that touch the vehicle for the price (when the discounts are applied) for the specification and size of vehicle. So it has its place, and some people are happy to offset the short-comings for what they do get. If you look at an Audi Q5, you have to add on nearly all the option packs to meet the CX60 Homura spec, and then the price difference is rather considerable.

As Gaz said above, Mazdas press office really does need sacking, as giving cars that arent currently up to spec to journalists to review is ridiculous, similar to not even telling them simple things like 1 , there is a softer suspension option free of charge and 2, Apple carPlay can work on touchscreen by activating it in the menu etc.

Imo, as a PHEV yes it has lots of issues, as an ICE, no. My PHEV goes today and my Diesel arrives tomorrow!

They have lots to improve.

What I have noticed is a lot of the first customers of the CX60 are previous Mazda owners, so they are used to very firm suspension, so they are happy with the CX60. But the Diesel variant rides so much better than the PHEV, I was surprised just by how much.

Mazda really needed to incorporate a better more advanced suspension design for the PHEV.

However in saying that, in the UK, nothing that touch the vehicle for the price (when the discounts are applied) for the specification and size of vehicle. So it has its place, and some people are happy to offset the short-comings for what they do get. If you look at an Audi Q5, you have to add on nearly all the option packs to meet the CX60 Homura spec, and then the price difference is rather considerable.

As Gaz said above, Mazdas press office really does need sacking, as giving cars that arent currently up to spec to journalists to review is ridiculous, similar to not even telling them simple things like 1 , there is a softer suspension option free of charge and 2, Apple carPlay can work on touchscreen by activating it in the menu etc.
the diesel drives better in what way?

• Haha
Reactions: BWJ
the diesel drives better in what way?

Its quite considerable.

The loss of underslung weight, means the car is more agile, and feels so much lighter on the road. The steering is much lighter and the car moves and changes direction with much more ease. The suspension is less compromised because of the weight and is smoother, especially over potholes, yet still keeps its firmness for cornering.

The engine is far more suited to the car and it is very responsive and the sound is orgasmic. The torque curve is wonderful. The gearbox has much cleaner shifting, but it does have a few confusing moments when coming to stop at lights, and you coast for a bit due to the way the economy saving works. Ok, so for the first 5-10 minutes when its on choke it's a bit noisy, but after than its very very quiet and when you open it up it sounds and performs very much like a 6 cylinder version of a Subaru turbo petrol boxer engine! (having owned two Impreza STI's) I would never have thought I would find a diesel vehicle that is a drivers car, but I have now.

After spending a few days with it now, its a night and day difference. I'll be writing more about it in the forthcoming weeks , I don't like to say too much at first as humans can have some form of internal bias - from brand fans to new car expectations etc., so I try to iron those out before reviewing something.

What I can say for sure right now is it was the best decision I have made and I am glad to be rid of the PHEV, the AWD diesel is the car the CX60 was meant to be for sure. My dealer, who also hates the PHEV and no longer recommends it to people have sold five diesels in a week, their entire months available stock quota already - three of which to PHEV owners who have traded theirs in for one.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BWJ
Its quite considerable.

The loss of underslung weight, means the car is more agile, and feels so much lighter on the road. The steering is much lighter and the car moves and changes direction with much more ease. The suspension is less compromised because of the weight and is smoother, especially over potholes, yet still keeps its firmness for cornering.

The engine is far more suited to the car and it is very responsive and the sound is orgasmic. The torque curve is wonderful. The gearbox has much cleaner shifting, but it does have a few confusing moments when coming to stop at lights, and you coast for a bit due to the way the economy saving works. Ok, so for the first 5-10 minutes when its on choke it's a bit noisy, but after than its very very quiet and when you open it up it sounds and performs very much like a 6 cylinder version of a Subaru turbo petrol boxer engine! (having owned two Impreza STI's) I would never have thought I would find a diesel vehicle that is a drivers car, but I have now.

After spending a few days with it now, its a night and day difference. I'll be writing more about it in the forthcoming weeks , I don't like to say too much at first as humans can have some form of internal bias - from brand fans to new car expectations etc., so I try to iron those out before reviewing something.

What I can say for sure right now is it was the best decision I have made and I am glad to be rid of the PHEV, the AWD diesel is the car the CX60 was meant to be for sure. My dealer, who also hates the PHEV and no longer recommends it to people have sold five diesels in a week, their entire months available stock quota already - three of which to PHEV owners who have traded theirs in for one.

If you skip to about 14:39 in the video below, the reviewer's comments seem to mimic yours (y)

If you skip to about 14:39 in the video below, the reviewer's comments seem to mimic yours (y)

And thats the lesser powered RWD model too.

I spoke with another PHEV now Diesel owner at my dealer yesterday, completely unprompted as I was only dropping off the dog separator thing which I had forgot when trading the PHEV in.

He was basically saying to the dealer exactly the same as what I have above, it was very interesting to hear exactly the same rhetoric from someone who had also had both versions of the car.

Yesterday I managed 65.8mpg on the motorway, and 40mpg in town with its lovely burble. The engine is an absolute masterpiece of engineering.

The only downside, and Mazda have commented on this, is that on tickover when stopped it can be a little noisy - Mazda said its because they have detuned it for economy and emissions, so the tickover is 750rpm, which is low for any engine. I can probably tweak this on a map in the future and bring it up to 800rpm which will smoothen it out a little.

I spoke with another PHEV now Diesel owner at my dealer yesterday, completely unprompted as I was only dropping off the dog separator thing which I had forgot when trading the PHEV in.

He was basically saying to the dealer exactly the same as what I have above, it was very interesting to hear exactly the same rhetoric from someone who had also had both versions of the car.

Yesterday I managed 65.8mpg on the motorway, and 40mpg in town with its lovely burble. The engine is an absolute masterpiece of engineering.

The only downside, and Mazda have commented on this, is that on tickover when stopped it can be a little noisy - Mazda said its because they have detuned it for economy and emissions, so the tickover is 750rpm, which is low for any engine. I can probably tweak this on a map in the future and bring it up to 800rpm which will smoothen it out a little.
So interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Wait, do you have more powerful inline 6 diesel?

Yes, I have the 254bhp AWD diesel. the one in that video is the 200bhp RWD one. We are the first to get the 254 AWD aside from Japan, and mine was the first one registered in the UK :)

That has some crazy high torque figure as well. Amazing gas mileage by the way.

However back on topic, there seems to be some reviews hitting for the AWD 254 today, most of them mention about the suspension is much better which is something i noticed instantly.

These guys review different cars each day, as I have only driven two cars over the past six months, I'd say I have a better impression between the diesel and phev. He focuses a bit too much on the car itself when its something he has already done with the PHEV, but still.

We disagree on the engine note, so thats one for the driver to decide. I love it. Bub Bub Bub.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Southeast, @BWJ, I don't know what the deal is between the two of you, but I will ask you both to drop it and be respectful. If you can't do that, use the Ignore feature to ensure you don't see the other person's posts.

Thank you.

@Southeast, @BWJ, I don't know what the deal is between the two of you, but I will ask you both to drop it and be respectful. If you can't do that, use the Ignore feature to ensure you don't see the other person's posts.

Thank you.
Just as @sm1ke stated....We ask that you drop this dispute, be respectful and consider using the Ignore feature.

Please remember...We're here on Mazdas247 to discuss Mazdas in a respectful way, help each other and enjoy the community. If you're here to disturb the Mazdas247 community, your account will be permanently banned.

Thread cleaned and back on topic, thank you.

My buddy who is an automotive journalst tells me Mazda has not delivered a new batch of cars, from recent production, to be tested - he got one recently to review, from early production, he had to wait half a year, there was a long queue before him...

Well, these are the new reviews for the diesel and they don't sound much better. The engine seems fantastic but let down by the chassis.

These lines:

"There’s a cheapness to proceedings. The back axle also lacks the control and precision that you get from the Germans, which perhaps sounds a bit irrelevant for this kind of car but, because the CX-60 will otherwise oblige when you really want to hustle it, is worth noting.

With such an ambitious, unusual powertrain, you wouldn’t expect the car’s ride and handling balance to undermine it, but this is the case."

Well, these are the new reviews for the diesel and they don't sound much better. The engine seems fantastic but let down by the chassis.

These lines:

"There’s a cheapness to proceedings. The back axle also lacks the control and precision that you get from the Germans, which perhaps sounds a bit irrelevant for this kind of car but, because the CX-60 will otherwise oblige when you really want to hustle it, is worth noting.

With such an ambitious, unusual powertrain, you wouldn’t expect the car’s ride and handling balance to undermine it, but this is the case."

I would say not to read too much into this. What folks don't get it is that being a first year model on a whole new platform with a whole new engine, you can't mesh everything together on the first try, as these cars have not been on the road for a long time, therefore information is not there, feedback from owners is not there.

THe underpinnings are good (phisical hardware). You get a double wishbone and a multilink in the back. You get a 8 gears multiplate wet clutch as a transmission, who does a good job other than at small speeds.

All of this will be adjusted at the next year model I would assume. The car, in the diesel form, is what would you expect from a first year model that basically does not have a single piece in common with the rest of Mazda lineup.

People need to temper they're exepectation accordingly.

Back