Is the CX-5 a LEMON ?

JoeSakic19

Contributor
:
2014 Mazda3 GS + 2013 CX-5 Touring.
Here's my story

My girlfriend bought a brand new 2013 AWD CX-5 Touring in October 2012. The car was amazing. She got all the goodies like screen, bluetooth, fogs, heated seats, cruise control, wheels, A/C, ect.

Maybe around christmas time the problems started to appear.

-The first one was that no air at all would come from the vent system before like 10 minutes after the car was started. The air conditioning system would not work for 10 minutes than all of a sudden would turn on. Pretty bad when the temperature outside is -20 to -30 Celsius.

-The second one was that the air conditioning system would work but do a hell of a noise. Again for 10 or more minutes and then stop.

-The third one is problem at idle. I've found that others had this problem in here. RPM goes crazy for nothing when the car is on idle. 500 to 2000rpm variation. WTH

-Last one to date is a transmission problem appearently. Some posters on here seemed to have the same problem as us. When drinving normaly the check engine light, traction control light and others come on and the car won't accelerate. We have to brake and restart the car and then all the lights that were on are off. This have happen 3 times already. We have an appointment at a Mazda dealer next week. AWD problem they say.

My girlfriend is 20 and she trade her Fiesta for the CX-5. I'm sad for her since this is her first expensive car and she have alot of problems with it. Should not happen with a brand new car (a 45K one...) I didn't have any with my 2011 2 to date :D

Sorry for my english. I'm french.

Have a nice day

In general? No. The one your GF owns? Possibly. The dealer needs to be taken to task over these issues and if they can't solve them then Mazda NA needs to be informed that if these are not sorted post haste, she will be talking with the consumer affairs bureau.

It's a very well known fact when a person has a problem he/she is trying to find a forum to vent about it. This might indicate that there are a lot of issues with a product. Yes, we have some complains here but considering that cx-5 sold few hundred thousand units around the world, that's not a lot. Accordingly to JD Power, Mazda reliability is above average.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability-press-release.htm

Last edited:
You must be a marketing major... you captured everyone in this post title.

Blasphemy.

Our CX-5 has been bulletproof. :)

Take the car back to the dealer. It is still within 1-year bumper to bumper warranty. I suspect a software fault with the ECU. if this is the case, reprogram the ECU will fix it - it is like reformat the desktop and reinstall the operating system.

My xtrail heating fan only blows when the engine temp is high enough, when in auto, no point in blowing cold air if you have selected +20 C.
If i select manual the blower will go to full speed, but if the engine is cold only cold air will blow.

Some upmarket cars such as BMW can have a electric heater to give early heat, i believe?
But the Mazda isn't upmarket.

I would be concerned about the latest problem the OP has, if hes got a dodgy electrical connection some were it would be a very time consuming problem to find.

I certainly don't think the other problems are major.

Mine's not a lemon, it's the best new car I've bought in 30 years.

Even my Volvo S80 had one initial issue that the dealer needed to address. The Volvo S80 ranks 2nd best in 2013 J.D. Powers Mid-sized Premium Car Dependability Study. After over 6000 miles my AWD 2013 CX-5 has been flawless. That's very impressive even ignoring the fact that it's a new, clean sheet design.

That sucks... For the most part, our CX-5s just have rattle problems. Maybe you have that too and just can't hear it over your other issues. LOL. jk.

My question is how the hell you paid 45K for this car?? Is that the premium over there?

Have done 17,000 miles so far and (trying not to tempt fate) it has been pretty much flawless so far!

No, does not meet criteria for lemon.

And CR reports above average reliability, which I've also experienced for first 15K miles.

Sounds like your CX needs attention by service department (free under warranty).

I think the dealer and Mazda CA have 30days, 3 visits to fix it, if they can't then you can ask for money back, just read up on Lemon law for Canada.

after getting it fixed and if she still doesn't like it, trade it in for a Yota or Honda, I heard those cars never breaks....jk :)

btw there is always a bad apple in every basket, there are Yota and Honda lemons also, I'm sure even Lexus...or maybe not....

I would definitely go to the dealer and express your concern and all the problems you've had. If it isn't fixed in a reasonable amount of time, you could probably follow up on the lemon law in Quebec.

Bonne chance!

No way she paid 45k for a CX5 in Canada. Unless you included tax financing and all of that.

Why would I lie..... She did include all of that. And with the 1.9% or 2.9% ,dont remember, the total of the "loan" (not sure if it is the good word) it came up to 45k

I'm certainely not trying to be a mazda hater here. My car is a 2011 mazda 2 that i've bought in october 2010 and I LOVE it. No issue so far. Not one. My girlfriend car well it's another story. It's probably her that have a bad aura since her fiesta was having problem too ahah.

And I know that the car is under warranty but if there is so many problems now, I can't imagine that jt will be better after the waranties are over.

We really hope that the dealer adresses all the issues because we LOVE the car but this sh*t is disapoiting

I must say, after 14k miles, it's been perfect.

I hope they can fix yours, having that happen when buying a new car is a huge dissapointment and source of frustration. Something similar happened to me 7 years ago, it was a major pain in the butt.

Last edited:
Mine is brilliant. Love it to bits.

Only real downside, the reliability of the TomTom. Live services not working and awaiting the dealership to look at it.

Alex

My kia when brand new had quite a few problems with it - juddering clutch was the worst , but the dealer was really great and the early problems were all forgotten when fixed, so there is hope for you as long as the dealer is on your side.

You must be a marketing major... you captured everyone in this post title.

I agree, that is a pretty much all encompassing title rather than "Is my CX-5.."

-The first one was that no air at all would come from the vent system before like 10 minutes after the car was started. The air conditioning system would not work for 10 minutes than all of a sudden would turn on. Pretty bad when the temperature outside is -20 to -30 Celsius.

My xtrail heating fan only blows when the engine temp is high enough, when in auto, no point in blowing cold air if you have selected +20 C.
If i select manual the blower will go to full speed, but if the engine is cold only cold air will blow.

That's my guess too. I don't use the full auto on the AC or Heat but it would make sense that it might adjust like that while it waits for the engine to heat up. I just use the controls on manual so it goes at the speed I want it to go. Try taking it off auto mode.

-The second one was that the air conditioning system would work but do a hell of a noise. Again for 10 or more minutes and then stop.

Again, that sounds like it is tied into the auto mode. With the fan on High and set just at the upper vents the blower fan is quite loud in these. If you have it set on auto and set the temp for really far from the current temp it will run the fan on high until it gets closer to that temperature. Also try either taking it off auto or setting it for a temp that is closer to the current temperature in the vehicle so it tries to do things down more slowly.

I think the dealer and Mazda CA have 30days, 3 visits to fix it, if they can't then you can ask for money back, just read up on Lemon law for Canada.

And I think it is 3 tries for each problem, try the above tips on the heater/ac and then hopefully they can focus on the more serious problem.

btw there is always a bad apple in every basket, there are Yota and Honda lemons also, I'm sure even Lexus...or maybe not....

Exactly, all you get with more reliable cars are lower odds of getting problem, not a guarantee of no problems. Especially with new models.

Last edited:
Back