Interior Lighting

So i am thinking that my LED problem has something to do with the low resistance of the LED's. :'(

tahts possible, that the ambient current isn't really enough to overcome the resistance load of the filament, but with that led adn the 'bucks driver' it says it has to run at various voltages might be causing it to pass on minimal voltage to the leds, maybe drop an email to superbright and ask if they have ones just like that but 12v only, or if there's a way to diasble the 'buck driver'

1st time poster here. The lights on the attached pics look awesome. I don't have the Xenon HID on my GT AWD CX-5, so does it make sense to change out the halogens on my ride? If so, how difficult is it to do?

Same for the front and rear lights inside the car.

Thanks!

Don't think it would be too hard to swap out to HID kit... CX-5 already has projectors and from my previous experience with mazda projectors they are very good for HID kits. You would need to just find a nice place to place the ballast within the engine bay. Since there is ton of space in the engine bay it should be easy.

Don't think it would be too hard to swap out to HID kit... CX-5 already has projectors and from my previous experience with mazda projectors they are very good for HID kits. You would need to just find a nice place to place the ballast within the engine bay. Since there is ton of space in the engine bay it should be easy.

Thanks kimchei because you answered the other question I had regarding whether or not the CX-5 has the projector housing for the lights.

Hello everyone.

I have a Mazda CX5 AWD Touring with the Tech Package and Bose Package. I just finished replacing my Daytime Running Lights with PW13 LED's, My license Plate Lighting with W5W LED Wedges, Foglights with H11 Leds and all my Interior Lights with Red Festoon 3022 LED Lights (12V). See Attached Interior Photos. The Foglight, DRL and License Plate Lights in LED make a huge difference! Sorry, they are not the best pics, but you get the idea.

_DSC2601.jpg_DSC2602.jpg_DSC2603.jpg_DSC2605.jpg_DSC2608.jpg

RushFan

Hello everyone.

I have a Mazda CX5 AWD Touring with the Tech Package and Bose Package. I just finished replacing my Daytime Running Lights with PW13 LED's, My license Plate Lighting with W5W LED Wedges, Foglights with H11 Leds and all my Interior Lights with Red Festoon 3022 LED Lights (12V). See Attached Interior Photos. The Foglight, DRL and License Plate Lights in LED make a huge difference! Sorry, they are not the best pics, but you get the idea.

View attachment 193601View attachment 193602View attachment 193603View attachment 193604View attachment 193605

RushFan

did you get your bulbs from superbrightleds? are you experiencing the dim while off map light problem that badapple is?

which of these did you get?

3022.jpg
or
3022-hp4.jpg

Last edited:
I did use SuperBrightLeds. I got the 3022-x9. I am not experiencing the Dim While Off problem. They are very bright. There is a reason aircraft use red lighting, they do not dilate the eye. I love the Red Lighting! I can see outside of the vehicle with no problem while ALL dome lights are lit.

RushFan

I did use SuperBrightLeds. I got the 3022-x9. I am not experiencing the Dim While Off problem. They are very bright. There is a reason aircraft use red lighting, they do not dilate the eye. I love the Red Lighting! I can see outside of the vehicle with no problem while ALL dome lights are lit.

RushFan
ah ok, you got the 12v only ones, i didn't look at those originally cause the light angle is fairly narrow, while the ones badapple got and i was looking at are the 120degree lights but they are wide voltage too which i think is causing his problem

and red lights are somewhat old school, you pretty much only find it in smaller old ga planes i believe, there was a move towards more 'blue-green' (450-500nm) lighting because it doesn't distort colors (important for reading navigation charts) like with the old style red lights and requires less 'brightness' to allow better visual acuity than red lights that need to be much brighter

Last edited:
Those look great... Hey I was wondering if anyone who has the xenon hid package feel like the lights are a bit too yellowish?.. Im thinking if it's worth it to change the bulbs... How hard would it be? Since the xenon headlights have the auto leveling and a motor that turns the housing, I think I might be way over my head... Not just a simple PnP...

Last edited:
One of the things I DON'T like on my CX-5 is the paltry light in the back. I'd like to add a dome light in the headliner where the tailgate is. It looks like I could tap into the existing light and route the wires by tucking them in under the headliner and plastic panels by pushing them down between them and the rubber gasket around the hatch opening. Anyone tried anything like this?

ask bad apple how that led bulb he put in the cargo is working (once he gets the fuse fixed that is)

HAHA! It was bright as hell until the fuse went...i still can't find that lil bastard. could not locate it in the Manuel and everything else in the car seems to be working fine.

HAHA! It was bright as hell until the fuse went...i still can't find that lil bastard. could not locate it in the Manuel and everything else in the car seems to be working fine.

thats really weird, did you notice if you were getting the 'dim' issue with that one like the maps? or has the map light issue rectified itself

thats really weird, did you notice if you were getting the 'dim' issue with that one like the maps? or has the map light issue rectified itself

There didn't seen to be a issue with the trunk led...other than it blowing the fuse.

The map light issue didn't fix itself. I ordered another type of LED to see if that might fix my problem.

There didn't seen to be a issue with the trunk led...other than it blowing the fuse.

The map light issue didn't fix itself. I ordered another type of LED to see if that might fix my problem.
the same ones that other guy got? with the acrylic block around them? did you ask superbright support about it? i'd really rather not go with those ones cause the first ones you have throw light in a much wider area according to the specs (120 vs 30 deg)

BadApple, did you put the oem bulb back in to see if it works, to verify that it is a fuse and not the led bulb going bad...

Okay...so i got my LED's in for the front map lights and the rear trunk light...

I have problems!!!

First off...they fit in the map lights...the 31mm was no problem!! When i put both LED's in the sockets and turn the lights to the off position, the map lights stay on...they are dim, but they are on. The only way i can get the map light with the LED to turn completely off is when i remove 1 LED from either map light and place it with a stock bulb...then the LED turns completely off and works properly.

Is there a way to fix this??

I ordered the 3022-xHP4 Festoon LEDs for the Map lights and the trunk light.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ffestoon.html

emailed superbright with your problem this was their response
It sounds like you have some voltage leak to those bulbs when the vehicle is off. Try a resistor (470 ohm) from radio shack. Wrap one leg around each end of the bulb and let the resistor sit away from the bulb,not touching it (other than the ends).

@Akira,

Since you had the halogens on your Mazda, I had a question for you. I have the CX-5 Grand Touring, but didn't get the Tech Package, so would I be able to do a simple replace of the stock Halogen headlights/fog lights with H11 bulbs and stock Halogen DRLs with 9005 HB3 bulbs?

If so, sounds like an easier thing to do than getting an HID conversion kit.

If anyone else knows the answer to this, please feel free to let me know!

Last edited:
Another thing, does anyone know if the Error Free Decoders are needed when swapping out Halogen bulbs with LEDs?

Latest posts

Back