Interesting Key / fob / chip question!! Mazda5

rick4130

:
2008 Mazda5
(bear with me...) Hi Guys, we recently picked up a 2008 Mazda5 and we love it!

Bummer is we only got 1 key from the seller...and my local Mazda dealer wants $360 for a fully functional, programmed 2nd key.

So, meanwhile I got an Ebay replacement plastic outer shell for our single key fob, and in replacing the "guts" the following happened:

I merely switched the circuit board, battery and actual key "blade" to the new fob....and it worked fine last night. I think I still had the old fob in my pocket because this morning when the car wouldn't start, I discovered the actual "chip" resides in another part of the key fob. Since it was in the house, the car didn't allow it to start.

No problem, I switched that part of it back, and it worked fine. I guess the chip needs to be in close proximity to the car, along with the "blade" that is cut to fit that particular ignition.

That's a no brainer but my wife says (and finally, here is my actual question!!!)

"Why can't you just have another key blade cut to match that one, but keep the "chip" in the car? Like in the glovebox or under the dash? That way the car won't know if it's your key in the ignition, or my exact copy of the same key?"

Does that make sense? Could we get away with 1 chip (always in the car), but 2 identical key blades?

Thanks! This is one of those things I wish my generation never dreamed up...car keys with batteries and microchips!!!?!?!?!?!

It may actually work just fine that way BUT (and its a big but LOL) Then your car could be stolen by almost anyone with a screwdriver because the electronic immobilizer in the key wouldn't recognize that an invalid key
(or screwdriver) had been used to start the engine. Not likely to be an issue, but be aware that the insurance company would likely view it the same as you leaving the key in the ignition. IF they found out about it, that is....

Thanks, that's something to think about, I just can't get over the cost involved to do it right!!

If it makes you feel any better I can't get over it either. I bought mine at auction and it had only one key too.

I also only have one key and was planning on getting a second, but this thread makes me think again.

There was a thread on here some time ago about an easier/cheaper way to duplicate the keys for our 5s. IIRC the hard part is getting around the "dealer must program" part

I had the same problem due to my wife losing the keys. Find a good auto locksmith. They will be able to program new keys. Last set I bought think around $200 for 1 switch blade remote type and 2 keys cut and programmed.

Just buy the key online, you will get a price break. And while you're at it get a third, non-fob key (around $30).

Yes, you'll have to have the dealer program the second key but call around to other dealerships, this is one of those things where you'll get different prices depending on which dealer you call. Shouldn't be more than $50 or $75 but I've not actually paid to have this done so I'm not positive on the price.

Here are the part numbers with current (2016) prices from Montgomery Mazda out of Charlotte North Carolina. Website = http://onlinemazdaparts.com/ This is where I bought keys back in '09, still are working fine.

They will cut the key based on your VIN (included in the price) and free shipping on orders over $100 or $125.

CC43675RYC: transponder part of switchblade style key, $139.63 (MSRP = $172.42)
G2YA762GXB: key part of switchblade style key, $44.52 (MSRP = $54.98)
KRTT09001: key ring, $0.99 (MSRP = $1.21)

Also look up this key: part number F1Y1762GX, $38.57 (MSRP = $47.62 (has gone up $20 in the past 7 years!)). This is a "normal" key, no fob, water proof, smaller in the pocket, etc.

So... about $185 for the key fob (with key), cut. Then programming. Once you have two keys I recommend getting the normal key (F1y1762Gx) as a spare.

Last edited:
Back