Installed Reworked k04.

anm6

:
09 Speed 3
Hi guys , So had my Reworked installed yesterday and was wondering on what boost I should be seeing, I know it's a dumb question but on the stock K04 I woulld see a quick spike to 21-22 ish and then 18 PSI. Last night saw nothing other than 18 PSI. Is this due to fact that it is ported to the exhasut flows that much better?

Umm, yah, that's why you go reworked or bigger turbo, so you can make the same flow at lower ultimate boost levels, heating the charge and stressing the turbo less. Plus, now you're not pushing the WG as hard so, it should be steadier on boost produced.

Every car is different though so, you'll have to do a little experimenting, both instrumented and butt-dyno, to see what's going on. See if Ken or whoever reworked your KO4 can give you a compressor map for it, that'll help. You should make ALOT more power at 18 psi after a rework than 18 psi stock, that's for damn sure.

Yea I will be going to dyno Saturday, I really hope to see some god numbers with all my mods. I was just curious on why the boost is down, I know it's not always a bad thing as I am probaly hitting the load targets at lower boost due to better flow, As you stated above. Turbo is a PG reworked unit.

Just to +1 on Darth's observation: You should be able to build more power at the same boost level and hopefully avoid the spike. This does NOT mean that the K04 should be run a higher sustained boost that 18 psi. The reason has to do with the very small size of the center shaft (only 5mm) and that the scroll size is still basically the same. If you exceed 6,000 rpm and boost above 18 psi at that rpm or higher, the center shaft will still be subject to overheading with resultant failure. It's still a K04. It is a much better K04 and will flow better, but it still has a small scroll and has very small center shaft.

My guess is, however, that you will see a power gain at the same safe boost levels and that you should have much better (and safer) exhaust flow through the wastegate. Let us know how the dyno pull goes and what your impressions are after you've put a few miles on it. IMHO, this is probably a much better mod than going truly "big turbo" with the resultant need for custom tune and turbo lag.

Why would it be , The reworked it fine on the stock tune? NO. Pg said the turbo is just fine on the stock tune.

Now, let me know if I have this wrong:

You aren't satisfied with the power jump from from the HT tune with your mods so, you're putting a reworked turbo on a tune that you didn't like on the stock turbo?

did u buy it through pg? if so contact ken and ask for a refund or for the money to go towards a gt3076r or something.

It is a PG Turbo but bough it from a member on Mazdaspeed forum. The over all numbers sux
But at 4k its making 24 MORE WHP and MORE 30 WTQ. But then falls hard.. Looks like I need a
Cobb AP. HT For sale :).

Sounds like you been bit by the used part bug. It's like clamidia, generally no symptoms apparent at time of purchase but, a surprise later that kind of spoils the whole experience.

Even if the turbo isn't fubar, you're definitely well into the range that will require a pro-tune to work right. No OTS map is going to work for you, man.

Defiantly do not think the Turbo is crap pulls real hard to 4k and the car just falls you can actually fell it stop making
Power but the boost stays at 18 still supe rich 9's

Ugly Dyno sheet :(

Attachments

• Dyno Reworked K04.bmp
    787.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
boost #s aren't a particularly good way to determine turbo health. If I put a plug in the outlet of a turbos with 10 chipped fins I can hit stratospherically high psi but, the turbo's still crap. I think something is awry post MAF, probably post turbo, since you're you say you're seeing really rich numbers and dying off in the top end. I'd suggest you should be looking really closely for boost leaks.

I did try the ported with stock tune. Worse #'s than that I can get those when I get home. Just realy shocked
cat made less power with a ported turbo.

Back