Guide CX-5 Battery Installation

$120 at Costco:
1690094801874.png

So the price for this Interstate Group 35 battery at Costo went up again now is selling for $109.99? :rolleyes::oops:🤪🤣🤬 It had been selling for $78.99 with 36-month free replacement / 60-month rotated warranty for many years until a couple of years ago.

EEA1F906-D494-43FC-B557-7F0F8CBCF516.jpeg

It then went up to $109.99 with only 36-month free replacement warranty.

F23503C8-AE42-4A38-9C89-FBC9E75E840F.jpeg

Now it’s $119.99 with 36-month prorated warranty.

Not sure it’s a good buy anymore! 👎

Last edited:
We seem to have fewer option here in Canada and the Costco Kirkland brand battery made by Clarios IMO is still a good deal specially with their 48 month full replacement + 52 month pro-rated extension warranty. The cost is $145 (Canadian), Canadian Tire brand $175, while the Mazda OEM battery was $219. Both the CTC & Mazda batteries had a much shorter warranty period.

while the Mazda OEM battery was $219. Both the CTC & Mazda batteries had a much shorter warranty period.
Wow, I installed a Mazda OEM
“High Performance” battery back in Oct. 2020, and it was only $120! And the warranty is 36-month replacement / 60-month prorated which is the same as Costco’s Interstate battery at the time.

15B7978B-F101-4F01-83BC-542A8C4C51FB.jpeg

22610D32-A4D8-4BA8-9BFD-E30B162F7B23.jpeg

DB104AD3-B903-4F0F-B6CC-8A52EADB35F5.jpeg

I also just changed my battery as my factory Panasonic battery seemed to be weak whenever the morning temperature is getting lower and it can’t drive the EPB release properly with EPB warnings. I installed an OEM Mazda “High Performance” battery which is made by Interstate. It looks exactly the same as the Interstate battery sold at Costco which is much cheaper. The only difference is OEM battery uses black plastic case but Interstate uses white. I didn’t use any memory saver, and the only thing lost is 2 trip odometers been reset to “0”. All Favorites are there. And I reset the driver side one-touch open / close power window according to the owner’s manual. It’s a US model 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech, so no i-stop and i-Eloop which require special deep-cycle AGM battery.

I think this was discussed before...sorry if repost... was thinking about alternate use of a 24F or 27F instead of the group 35... I use a 27F in my GX 460 but it came stock with a 24F. Guess I need to measure the battery tray.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 8.04.49 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 8.04.35 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 8.04.27 AM.png

That may be true on exchange rate, but people there use €, not $. During my recent 2812-mile road trip visiting Spain、Portugal、France、Andorra, what I’ve found is the inflation in the US is much worse than in these 4 countries! Everything there other than gasoline / diesel is much cheaper even with current exchange rate! When I visited UK and Europe many years ago, the feeling was totally opposite, everything is more expensive there! Here’s an example and you’d need to pay at least doubled for the same food in the US right now, not to mention you pay exactly 5€ posted, no extras such as additional 10% sales tax and 20% tips there in the restaurants.

View attachment 320856

And if you’re shopping for any parts for our CX-5 lately, you’d have to be shocked to see the price for many parts, especially the Mazda OEM parts, has gone up not 30% or 50%, but is almost doubled! 👎
Please, Please --- tell me you didn't go to Europe to eat at the 'Colonel'. LOL:eek:

Its worse in Europe, their Euro is devaluing at a much faster rate.

I Arrived in Germany Oct 2020, where $300 was roughly $250 €. When I left last year in 2022 the currencies were almost equal.
How soon we forget! When the Euro was introduced, it was pegged at 1€ = 1$. So really, we're just back to the same now :)

Please, Please --- tell me you didn't go to Europe to eat at the 'Colonel'. LOL:eek:
Ha ha, in fact we did, and at least 3 times! Also a couple of times at the Burger King! Just couldn’t resist such a good deal over there! Besides, we’re there for 36 days during the road trip, we sometimes still missed the good old American fast food!

I just read a bunch of articles on battery desulfaction and the devices appear to be the real deal and work. Interesting, never knew they existed.
Its basically built in on Anti Gravity lithium batteries. For $800 it should, but 15 pounds and 5 year warranty, they will be getting my money come new battery time.
That may be true on exchange rate, but people there use €, not $. During my recent 2812-mile road trip visiting Spain、Portugal、France、Andorra, what I’ve found is the inflation in the US is much worse than in these 4 countries! Everything there other than gasoline / diesel is much cheaper even with current exchange rate! When I visited UK and Europe many years ago, the feeling was totally opposite, everything is more expensive there! Here’s an example and you’d need to pay at least doubled for the same food in the US right now, not to mention you pay exactly 5€ posted, no extras such as additional 10% sales tax and 20% tips there in the restaurants.

View attachment 320856

And if you’re shopping for any parts for our CX-5 lately, you’d have to be shocked to see the price for many parts, especially the Mazda OEM parts, has gone up not 30% or 50%, but is almost doubled! 👎
my friends and family still in Europe would disagree. My bank account statements say otherwise for my 2 years there.

My only point, ALL currencies are devaluing, and ALL currencies post pandemic are suffering from inflation. There may be some obscure exception, and it would be promising to see one, but I am not coming across one. Please advise if you do.

I mean I can still eat fast food in the states for similar prices.

How soon we forget! When the Euro was introduced, it was pegged at 1€ = 1$. So really, we're just back to the same now :)
I was mentioning my very specific recent times where heavy devaluing happened substantially faster with € vs $.

Point being, its an issue with ALL countries post pandemic, and trust I am not taking any political sides, its costing more to live everywhere for any number of reasons that I won’t insult your intelligence on.

Unless one is truly wealthy, its financially harder for an American, European, Russian, Australian, South American, (no idea on China, their info is locked tighter than Saudi or Iran) post pandemic.

I do LifePo4 in my powersport gear (ATVs, Snowmobiles, etc) but not personally worth it to me where I live for the autos. Understand and respect if option works for you.

Simply not worth it to me with quick AAA or portable chargers these days

T8MAX_921bbe69-12e7-4dec-a0e5-da1fada6c064.jpg

my friends and family still in Europe would disagree. My bank account statements say otherwise for my 2 years there.
You need to check out the current living standard there comparing to the US, not a few years ago.

My only point, ALL currencies are devaluing, and ALL currencies post pandemic are suffering from inflation. There may be some obscure exception, and it would be promising to see one, but I am not coming across one. Please advise if you do.
China is having the deflation right now.

I mean I can still eat fast food in the states for similar prices.
Have you visited any restaurants lately in the US? Here a KFC chicken sandwich、French fries、a soft drink are already $10.79, added a chicken tender、an ice cream, it’ll cost at least another $5, then 8.25% sales tax the total will be $16.20! This’s 3 times more expensive than the same food at KFC in Spain!

B3FC3582-9809-4799-8891-151E0A3AE8BB.jpeg

You need to check out the current living standard there comparing to the US, not a few years ago.

China is having the deflation right now.

Have you visited any restaurants lately in the US? Here a KFC chicken sandwich、French fries、a soft drink are already $10.79, added a chicken tender、an ice cream, it’ll cost at least another $5, then 8.25% sales tax the total will be $16.20! This’s 3 times more expensive than the same food at KFC in Spain!

View attachment 320884
I lived there last year and my family and friends complain in Germany the same that folks do in the states.

Appreciate the insight on China.

Specials at McD’s are still super cheap, my experience is different than yours, but I can’t give perspective from Spain as I wasn’t there.

Dwight the BEST battery now is Lithium antigravity group 35 with re-start.

With a new battery at close to $200 , and the Anti gravity at $835, but lasting 3 times as long, weighing about 10 pounds and not ever being stranded with the re-start feature its my next upgrade. Just weight savings alone is mind blowing. Its why highest end Porsche and Merc trims use lithium for their ICE as to save weight.

So with the cost of 200ish every 2-3 years (short trips, loaded options) I’ll change this once instead of 3 times and have more
Consistent voltage without being stranded because of their re-start feature and its only 16 pounds and warrantied for 5 years.

Cost effective, I would go to Costco, but when mine and my wife’s runs out, Anti gravity it is.
This Lithium antigravity Group 35 / Q-85 battery could be a good alternative for those whose Mazda has I-ELOOP or i-stop and requires a special Q-85 battery. Q-85 is only available at the Mazda dealer and someone had mentioned it would cost about $400+ USD (now $600? $800?) with required re-programming.

For those who use Group 35 battery, it’d be very difficult to justify getting a $800 battery where it was $78.99 for a battery just a couple of years ago.

This Lithium antigravity Group 35 / Q-85 battery could be a good alternative for those whose Mazda has I-ELOOP or i-stop and requires a special Q-85 battery. Q-85 is only available at the Mazda dealer and someone had mentioned it would cost about $400+ USD (now $600? $800?) with required re-programming.
This raises an interesting question. I have i-stop disabled in my car (using an aftermarket module). So in theory, I don't/shouldn't need the Q-85 battery. Is there anything that would stop me using a group 35 battery comes the time I need to replace?

This raises an interesting question. I have i-stop disabled in my car (using an aftermarket module). So in theory, I don't/shouldn't need the Q-85 battery. Is there anything that would stop me using a group 35 battery comes the time I need to replace?
Q-85 should be a stronger battery than Group 35 battery to support the i-stop stop-start system and i-ELOOP. If you choose the Group 35 battery replacing the factory Q-85 battery with i-stop disabled, the only issue should be how do you resolve the reprogramming part. May be you can ask the module manufacture disabling the i-stop if they know anything about it.

The Anti Gravity is Group 35…..AND Q-85 battery, so its likely what most everyone Mazda will run if the make the switch for longer life lithium, better warranty, and lead acid is going up faster while lithium batteries (at least for internal combustion engines) generally are becoming more common, and coming down in price.

OK, after searching for G35 vs Q-85, performance is the only difference, so I think they are interchangeable if i-stop is not in play. Interestingly, I see a number of Lithium 35/Q-85 batteries (Dohon, PowerTex, etc)available online for half the price of that Antigravity battery.

Back