Guide CX-5 Battery Installation

Last edited:
I'm curious what this new 36 month pro-rated formula is at Costco US

Last battery I picked up from Costco was '22 IIRC and at that time it was non-prorated 36 month.

EDIT: Ok... looks like I won't bother with further use of Costco for batteries unless it is a steal of a deal

Yes, I found out on August 3 that US Costco just downgraded the auto battery warranty this July after a couple of price increases and warned people here in post #130.

Meanwhile Walmart’s EverStart Maxx group 35N 640 CCA battery is $20 more but has better 36-month free replacement warranty and free installation.

GT

Yes, I found out on August 3 that US Costco just downgraded the auto battery warranty this July after a couple of price increases and warned people here in post #130.

Meanwhile Walmart’s EverStart Maxx group 35N 640 CCA battery is $20 more but has better 36-month free replacement warranty and free installation.

GT
I think I may have only ever once used a battery warranty, and that was Costco being generous. Batteries seem to last 5+ years for me. I'm still on my original in my 2018. The Costco battery in my tractor may be 10 years old by now.

I don't really consider the warranty except maybe as a tie-breaker.

Just bought a new battery from Costco for my 2018 cx5 sport, $119.99. Original battery was still cranking pretty well, but it was registering consistently below 12.4 so I felt it was time at over 5 years. Costco warranty is 36 month prorated. Guy said people were bringing batteries back toward end of warranty to get new ones so they changed the warranty. I guess Costco doesn’t test batteries and has a no questions asked return policy so they made the warranty change. Kind of dumb not to load test the battery for a return.

no issues replacing battery, took about 10 mins. I just had to reset the one-touch windows and screen brightness. It reset my current trip odometer, but nothing else.

Just bought a new battery from Costco for my 2018 cx5 sport, $119.99. Original battery was still cranking pretty well, but it was registering consistently below 12.4 so I felt it was time at over 5 years. Costco warranty is 36 month prorated. Guy said people were bringing batteries back toward end of warranty to get new ones so they changed the warranty. I guess Costco doesn’t test batteries and has a no questions asked return policy so they made the warranty change. Kind of dumb not to load test the battery for a return.

no issues replacing battery, took about 10 mins. I just had to reset the one-touch windows and screen brightness. It reset my current trip odometer, but nothing else.
For the record, I paid Cdn $149.99 converted into US currency=$112.49.

I guess Costco Canada didn't get the memo from their US head office (still 48 month free replacement plus 100 month prorated at 25% minimum :ROFLMAO:. Walmart Canada has 36 month free replacement plus 108 month prorated, that's 9 years!!! For once we're getting a good deal here north of the border:D

Welp my battery is cranking slower in the morning so I best buy a new battery. I see that the Walmart EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size 35 12 Volt, 640 CCA is $139.84. Is this still the best price for a group 35, 640 CCA battery?

Welp my battery is cranking slower in the morning so I best buy a new battery. I see that the Walmart EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size 35 12 Volt, 640 CCA is $139.84. Is this still the best price for a group 35, 640 CCA battery?
You may have missed some previous posts. In the US it's $119.99 at Costco and it seems to be the best price but not the best warranty! Walmart is about $20 more but has better warranty. Your choice;)

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who is a Costco member. I see that there are people selling Costco shop gift cards on ebay but they mark them up too high.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who is a Costco member. I see that there are people selling Costco shop gift cards on ebay but they mark them up too high.

Membership is really only worth it if you shop there often enough. I buy all my car batteries there, and I also bought my OLED TV from there because they offer an easy "over-the-counter" replacement if there are any issues during the factory warranty period. They also offer extended warranties at decent prices.

I think in your case, I'd personally opt for the Walmart battery for the extra peace of mind.

So I got the Walmart battery and installed it. It took me about 20 minutes or so. I made a video Replacing the Battery in a 2018 Mazda CX-5
You did the right thing replacing the battery before it failed and possibly leaving you stranded. A small price to pay for peace of mind (about $30/year)! I know from past experience that when your car cranks slower than normal, the battery is about to fail; I've had OEM batteries fail after only 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 years...while others have lasted more than 4 years.

So I got the Walmart battery and installed it. It took me about 20 minutes or so. I made a video Replacing the Battery in a 2018 Mazda CX-5
I've seen your video and it would have been easier if you tucked away that bulky positive terminal in the space next to the air filter box. That extra inch of clearance helped me a lot to remove and install my battery. Also just as a safety measure to avoid accidental shorts and sparks, it's better to reconnect the positive terminal first then the negative (ground) as otherwise the ratchet handle or wrench can touch a metallic part. It's all shown on page 1 of this long thread ( see item 14 and 15 on post #1 page 1 and post # 11). :)

I've seen your video and it would have been easier if you tucked away that bulky positive terminal in the space next to the air filter box. That extra inch of clearance helped me a lot to remove and install my battery. Also just as a safety measure to avoid accidental shorts and sparks, it's better to reconnect the positive terminal first then the negative (ground) as otherwise the ratchet handle or wrench can touch a metallic part. It's all shown on page 1 of this long thread ( see item 14 and 15 on post #1 page 1 and post # 11). :)
Agreed. I pushed the positive cables out of the way and was able to slide the battery a little forward and right out.

Back