Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

I ended up purchasing a repacement screen from Opuradio as previously mentioned. It should be here today and I'll work on it over the weekend. Cost was about $250usd shipped.

sigh new crack again on bottom right corner.

PXL_20230513_234159060.jpeg

I ended up purchasing a repacement screen from Opuradio as previously mentioned. It should be here today and I'll work on it over the weekend. Cost was about $250usd shipped.
Update: I received and installed the replacement screen from Opuradio. The install was fairly easy as it is the entire digitizer assembly. All that was needed was to remove the assembly and click the new one in (after removing the entire head unit from the dash of course). I did have some difficulty getting the top plastic guide clips to line up properly when reassembling the head unit. The screen does appear to be a little more "washed out" in lighter conditions than the OEM one. I'm not sure why this would be the case as the screen itself was never replaced. Time will tell of this lasts through the winter (although we may upgrade to a cx-90 before then)...

So I have a 2017 Mazda 3 that I got in 2018. I driven it to and from my schooling in SF so suffice to say it's past warranty. I just got these cracks going on. I took it in to the dealership and they said it will cost over $200 to look at and determine what the issue is. That's not including repair and part obviously. I didn't have a recall for this on my VIN. Anybody have any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20230520_155132.jpg
    20230520_155132.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 74
So I have a 2017 Mazda 3 that I got in 2018. I driven it to and from my schooling in SF so suffice to say it's past warranty. I just got these cracks going on. I took it in to the dealership and they said it will cost over $200 to look at and determine what the issue is. That's not including repair and part obviously. I didn't have a recall for this on my VIN. Anybody have any suggestions?

There is no recall for this issue, but there is a Service Bulletin that your 2017 Mazda3 is included in. Download this copy of the bulletin and send it to the dealer, along with the photo of your screen. This basically confirms the problem, but because this isn't a recall, it doesn't guarantee that the dealership will fix it for free. I would try to argue that Mazda has identified that the issue is a manufacturer defect, but if you get pushback from the dealer, just go over their heads and try contacting Mazda Corporate with your issue. It's possible that they will assist you in getting the screen replaced, and they may be able to cover a part (or all) of the cost.

If you try all of this and can't get anywhere with the dealer or with Mazda, then I would look into a screen replacement from Opuradio as @foster6a suggested. The actual screen replacement might not be OEM, but it should be easy enough to DIY.

20230602_172257.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my issue has come back. Quick refresher, I opened this thread almost 3 yrs ago when my original screen started cracking. I got it replaced for free out of warranty. The new issue is with the replacement screen. However, Mazda issued a warranty extension on some 16 and 17 models. I am going to try my luck with the local dealer and report back.

Last edited:
View attachment 319890

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my issue has come back. Quick refresher, I opened this thread almost 3 yrs ago when my original screen started cracking. I got it replaced for free out of warranty. The new issue is with the replacement screen. However, Mazda issued a warranty extension on some 16 and 17 models. I am going to try my luck with the local dealer and report back.
Any luck with another replacement?

Mine had the same issue. I contacted Mazda and they offered me a "good will" $1000 for the fix. It costs $2000. It is a known issue and there is a service alert on 2016-2017 models #SSPB9 and a service alert on 2016-2018 models #SA-008/18

I am planning on trying to get enough people to register the complaint to possibly move the complaint up the ladder at Mazda. They know about the issue and are refusing to cover it.
Same. They should offer rebates for those of us who paid for the repair.

View attachment 319890

For anyone experiencing the same issue, I can't recommend highly enough this e-bay seller:

19 bucks, and my problem got solved. And no matter what the outside or inside temp variations are (i.e. can be as extreme as turning the A/C on at the lowest on a super-hot Colorado summer day), the digitizer from the seller mentioned above, seems to hold strong. Not to mention the great price and the super-fast shipping (in less than 3 days).

Hope this information helps anyone.

For anyone experiencing the same issue, I can't recommend highly enough this e-bay seller:

19 bucks, and my problem got solved. And no matter what the outside or inside temp variations are (i.e. can be as extreme as turning the A/C on at the lowest on a super-hot Colorado summer day), the digitizer from the seller mentioned above, seems to hold strong. Not to mention the great price and the super-fast shipping (in less than 3 days).

Hope this information helps anyone.
I can't find the part in their store anymore

I can't find the part in their store anymore
The part # I've bought (for my 2014 Mazda3) is BHP1611J0D and it's still available at that e-bay store named north-autoparts .

Here is the direct link (hopefully it won't be filtered out):

The part # I've bought (for my 2014 Mazda3) is BHP1611J0D and it's still available at that e-bay store named north-autoparts .

Here is the direct link (hopefully it won't be filtered out):
unfortunately they don't carry the part for CX9. ordered the digitizer for $240 shipped from china.

That's weird, because I thought Mazda Canada warrantied all the screens for 2016/2017 models. I know that the 2018+ models were not covered, but yours should be. Unless Quebec has different rules/policies? Try a Mazda dealership in Ontario perhaps?
I have a 2017 with the same thing. do you know where I can get more info on it?
I am in canada

Add another 2019 CX9 to the list. Only 28,500 miles. Bought in August 2019 so I'm out of warranty by time...

Anyone with a 2019 have luck getting a replacement? I see the service alert is only for 2016-2018 vehicles.

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

Took my vehicle to the dealer today. The service advisor said he saw 6 more like this in the past month. Each time he said he submits a request to Mazda for a good will repair and 5/6 were denied and 1 was offered to split the cost 50/50. He didn't elaborate what was different about the 1/6 that got the 50/50 "good will" offer. Only that this is supposedly a hard part for Mazda to get. I was quoted $2,088 to replace the screen.

Took my vehicle to the dealer today. The service advisor said he saw 6 more like this in the past month. Each time he said he submits a request to Mazda for a good will repair and 5/6 were denied and 1 was offered to split the cost 50/50. He didn't elaborate what was different about the 1/6 that got the 50/50 "good will" offer. Only that this is supposedly a hard part for Mazda to get. I was quoted $2,088 to replace the screen.
I just had mine replaced yesterday.
Mazda covered it.

I just had mine replaced yesterday.
Mazda covered it.

What year is your vehicle? What did the process look like? Am I just waiting for Mazda to get back to the dealership and whatever decision they make I'm stuck with it?

Latest posts

Back