Infotainment rebooted on its own, is this normal?

My 2019 GTR did 3 reboots in a single in town driving session earlier this week 9/15/2020. I have an appointment 9/21/2020 to check it out.

Update. The dealership had the vehicle for 3 hrs.. and a phone call with Mazda home base.. the result.. they are blaming the USB cable. Said for a Samsung note.. it must use a Samsung cable.. when pressed about what about a LG or other manufacture phones.. they just drew a blank stare. So yeah an answer non answer. And why after 6+ months of usage did it do it now? Worn cable? Not likely.

Anyways the journey continues.

The home screen on my 2019 GTR locked up the other day going down the road. After a few minuets it went blank and rebooted.. This is the first and only hiccup I’ve had since the car was new. Cable was plugged into usb but not connected to phone at the time.

Updated to iOS 14.0 a couple of days ago. Today, for the first time in the 12 months that I've had my CX5, the infotainment system rebooted on its own while using CarPlay. It happened only once during ~3 hours of driving.
I had read this thread before setting out on my drive today, and had deleted and recreated the CarPlay profile, but that didn't prevent the reboot, evidently.
I have been running ios 14 since beta in June. My info sys never rebooted.

The home screen on my 2019 GTR locked up the other day going down the road. After a few minuets it went blank and rebooted.. This is the first and only hiccup I’ve had since the car was new. Cable was plugged into usb but not connected to phone at the time.
Same thing a couple weeks ago on my 2019 GTR. I've had Sirius not load a few times but never have had the screen go blank while driving before.

Mine rebooted for the first time since owning the car (last August) while driving this morning. I forgot my phone so I can't blame it on that.

It was weird because while it was rebooting the Sirius/XM station was still playing.

I have this issue every time it's cold/extremely cold outside. I would drive my car for a few minutes and then the infotainment system would reboot. This is for a 2016.5 Touring.

Mine rebooted for the first time since owning the car (last August) while driving this morning. I forgot my phone so I can't blame it on that.

It was weird because while it was rebooting the Sirius/XM station was still playing.
Same thing happened to me. I updated the SD Nav card and haven't had anymore issues.

Resurrecting an old thread. My '21 with the new 10.25" infotainment rebooted itself this morning on my way to work. Phone was not connected so no CarPlay involved. First time it's occurred (car at 1600 miles). Anyone else experience this with the new system?

If there is a GPS SD card, please clean the contact points on the card and put it back in.
See if that helps.

Last edited:
Happened to me last weekend in the middle of a 250mi drive (on a new 500mi car)
The screen suddenly went white blank, then rebooted
My destination was nowhere to be found, not in recents anywhere, so had to connect AndroidAuto to avoid making a stop just to re-enter the address
Will try to clean card contacts :)

Resurrecting an old thread. My '21 with the new 10.25" infotainment rebooted itself this morning on my way to work. Phone was not connected so no CarPlay involved. First time it's occurred (car at 1600 miles). Anyone else experience this with the new system?

Did you happen to notice a thread titled Infotainment issues? Slow booting? Rebooting? Sluggish performance near the very top of the Infotainment section? Seems to me that perhaps it might apply to your issue?

Last weekend it rebooted while I was in Android Auto in the middle of a 200mi drive.
Good thing Android Auto restores the destination and no stop was required.
I don't think SD card plays any role in Android Auto mode, but it was inserted.
Will try ejecting it completely on the next long drive.

As long as your have GPS SD card inserted, it is being read. When the system fails to read from it, it might reboot itself. That was what happened to my '17 CX5 GT. Pull it out if you don't use it. The system boots up much faster.

My 2019 GTR has rebooted a half dozen times and each time all my favorites are gone. I never use AA or Carplay which eliminates USB and phone OS being the issue. I never use the Mazda Nav GPS. I just use my primary phone on Bluetooth to play Spotify. I use a 2nd phone for Waze (works for me). My point - the rebooting seems unrelated to the phone though I guess I can't rule out the SD card even though I don't use the Nav.

Even if Nav is not used and a card is inserted, the system reads and gets some information from the card.

An example, have you noticed the very top of your screen and the way cross streets are displayed there? That's info from the card, or at least the card feeds the info into the system to be used in displaying the info.

So, if the system gets corrupted info from the card, it can become unstable and at times this can force a reboot.

Actually it's quite possible. Cables do go bad. But it's a simple test surely, to just switch to another quality cable?
True. My cable that I've used for almost two years on my Motorola went bad recently. It happens.

My 2019 GTR has rebooted a half dozen times and each time all my favorites are gone. I never use AA or Carplay which eliminates USB and phone OS being the issue. I never use the Mazda Nav GPS. I just use my primary phone on Bluetooth to play Spotify. I use a 2nd phone for Waze (works for me). My point - the rebooting seems unrelated to the phone though I guess I can't rule out the SD card even though I don't use the Nav.
Easiest test is to just remove SD card & see if it continues. This happened to my son's Mazda 3 & the SD was the culprit. Happened mostly in extreme cold. There's a thread on here that details this issue at length.

Back