Inaccurate Dipstick

Mounty

:
03 MP5
I did a search and found 1 thread that is 2 years old about the engine dipstick, so I want to see if anyone else has the same issue.

I brought my car to Firestone to get an oil change, took it home and checked the dipstick, it was way over the F. So I checked the invoice and it says 5 qt. I almost had an heart attack. I took the car back, and after much agrument with 2 mechanics and the store owner, they did another oil change. Their explanation for the 5 qt shown on the invoice was that the system out 5 qt on every invoice.

Anyway, I stood there to see that the tech put 3.5 qt in, and he did, and brought the empty bottles out. I checked the dipstick again 2 hours after I got home, and it is still above the F. I am starting to wonder if the OEM dipstick is accurate or not.

mine is VERY accurate

i have messured how much came out of the engine and it matched the dipstick readin

our cars take 3.9 quarts of oil

i always put 4 and reads slighttly above full, so i figured it was 3.9

Did you check after the engine had been running or cold? I have always been told to check when the engine has been off for a while.

DE31 said:
a dip stick is the thing you stick into a nitrous bottle to check how much voltage is left...

You idiot! Nitrous bottles aren't measured in volts! HAHAHAHA YOU FUCKTARD!

They're measured in amps... (hand)

5 qts would be way too much....maybe that was the price for a 5 qt max change and anything over that would be more money?

my dip-stick reads good......

3.72345 qts to fill my oil pan......

i got my oil changed at the dealership once and the dipstick mechanic told me that my car took 4.5 qts. (i bring my own oil) I said, "the manual says 3.7 so i figured 4 would be enough." and he gives me this look like "I ******* WORK HERE, JACKASS." Then he asked me what the filter thing did(AEM SRI). needless to say, dumbass. (stfu) Oh and my dipstick reads fine!

Checked the oil again, it is at where the flattened part end, meaning at the top of the "F." Maybe they didn't give it enough time to drain all the old oil out? Thanks for the replies, guys!

yeah the only thing I can think of is that your oil was still warm...

dipstick was always accurate on mine. (dunno)

chaosProtege said:
i got my oil changed at the dealership once and the dipstick mechanic told me that my car took 4.5 qts. (i bring my own oil) I said, "the manual says 3.7 so i figured 4 would be enough." and he gives me this look like "I ******* WORK HERE, JACKASS." Then he asked me what the filter thing did(AEM SRI). needless to say, dumbass. (stfu) Oh and my dipstick reads fine!

yeah, some techs at dealers.....the guys are pretty cool at my dealer that i go to to get warranty work done.....

they all know i do the work on my car......

are you taking your measurements when the car is cold? hot? after a drive? ... the manual gives you directions on how and when to take to take the measurement.

ChopstickHero said:
are you taking your measurements when the car is cold? hot? after a drive? ... the manual gives you directions on how and when to take to take the measurement.

I usually check it when the car is cold, and been sitting for at least a few hours after driving on flat ground. I have on occasion checked the oil when the car is hot and right after driving, and they all came back over F. Hm...

Back