Dipstick problems

So my original dipstick snapped at the hook. Bought a replacement from O’Reilly but here’s my problem. I just changed my oil on Friday and I have nothing on this dipstick. 240 miles since the oil change and I checked today and do not even have a spec on the dipstick. Looks like I just unwrapped it it’s so clean

My question is, are all dipsticks the same length? Mine is rounded but flat at the end where the low and high are marked. Hard to believe I have no oil. Car runs fine and sounds fine so I’m either thinking they never changed the oil or that the dipstick is short

So my original dipstick snapped at the hook. Bought a replacement from O’Reilly but here’s my problem. I just changed my oil on Friday and I have nothing on this dipstick. 240 miles since the oil change and I checked today and do not even have a spec on the dipstick. Looks like I just unwrapped it it’s so clean

My question is, are all dipsticks the same length? Mine is rounded but flat at the end where the low and high are marked. Hard to believe I have no oil. Car runs fine and sounds fine so I’m either thinking they never changed the oil or that the dipstick is short
Can you compare the old and new dipstick lengths, or see if you can find dimensions online? If worst comes to worst, I can grab mine and measure it with a tape measure. Personally, that shouldn't be hard to sort out so do that first.

I have a general distrust for quick oil change places and the like (you can read horror stories from @katapaltes and others), so I'd be concerned about seeing no oil on the dipstick. You should still see oil on the dipstick regardless of if they did or didn't change the oil. Any oil is better than no oil. But get the dipstick length sorted out first.

If you still have the original dipstick with the broken handle, just put it back in and see what the oil level reading is. The oil change place that snapped my dipstick handle and cracked my accordion air intake while checking the air filter (both on the same visit) split the cost of replacing those items with me and I bought OEM. I would imagine that unless the aftermarket dipstick you bought was specifically made to fit our cars then it could easily be the wrong length. Actually, I wouldn't trust an aftermarket dipstick at all unless I'd compared measurements against the OEM part.

@BenjiHoggi @katapaltes i dont have the original anymore but when I ordered the new one it’s basically a direct oem replacement from dorman I believe and an “exact fit” per oReillys. They were also the same in length when I got the new one versus the old one. Same round body and barely visible L and H marks. It’s interesting because this is not the dipstick I had on my 2002 p5. That one was flat.

Since my initial post I have had the ability to read the oil I believe. It’s light weight 5w30 so holding it just right with the correct lighting you can see where it hits the middle between low and high. Odd to me considering it was just change but none the less, oil was seen.

@BenjiHoggi we need to talk about your mudflaps and where you got your rack covers for the crossbars

@BenjiHoggi we need to talk about your mudflaps and where you got your rack covers for the crossbars
Fire away. I'm happy to chat.
Like I mentioned in the other thread, and as you have seen, the roof rack covers are hard to find. The mudflaps were some work to install but they aren't expensive and I've rocked them for a few years now I think. While they are more cosmetic than functional, they are still pretty dope. I can certainly help you get them figured out.

Since my initial post I have had the ability to read the oil I believe,.. holding it just right with the correct lighting,.

Been there, done that. 😂

Just an FYI, the distance between the low mark and full mark is exactly 1 liter, and wait ten minutes after shutting off your engine to check the oil so it has time to drain out of the cylinder head and dipstick tube.

NEVER let your oil go below the low mark or you could wreck your engine in seconds.
Check your oil at every fill up, at least until you know how fast it's burning oil.
Chances are it's burning at least some oil.

Back