Impressions and comparison after a week with my rav4.

I strongly considered a used Outback so learned a lot about them. The CX-5 won me over with best in class; handling, fuel efficiency, power, and tow rating. A new 6 cylinder Outback is $35K. Ouch! I test drove a new Outback and the CVT wasn't for me. Otherwise, nice car.

the 6-cyl comes with a regular 5-speed tranny through 2014. the 2015 is all CVT. i test drove the 4 cyl OB and i didn't care for the CVT, either. truecar has a 2014 6 cyl limited with sunroof at $31.7k. the 2015 CX-5 on truecar is $29.5. so yes there is an 'ouch'.

the 2012 i drove has 40k miles, clean carfax, pretty much loaded with leather, sunroof, 6cyl. they are asking $24,500 as a certifed pre-owned. mpg is 18/20/25 which does have it's own 'ouch' factor.

Last edited:
^ Yes, you'd have to be a Subie cult member to pay top dollar for less than attractive Outback styling, droning CVT, and 20 MPG EPA combined mileage rating.

Even the Rav4 is sounding pretty good now. Hopefully OP has accumulated a couple thousand miles on his new Rav4 to report on...

^ Yes, you'd have to be a Subie cult member to pay top dollar for less than attractive Outback styling, droning CVT, and 20 MPG EPA combined mileage rating.

Even the Rav4 is sounding pretty good now. Hopefully OP has accumulated a couple thousand miles on his new Rav4 to report on...

didn't read, did you? the 6-cylinder doen't have a CVT. you bought a 2013, woefully underpowered CX5, so i really don't think you're one to talk. the 2013 was so bad mazda had to rush the 2014 to market. good luck on your resale...

Lets get ready to rumble..........I'm getting some popcorn.

Just kidding, hey they make all kinds of cars because people have varrying needs and likes, no need to beat up on each other.....Ok I feel better now.

didn't read, did you? the 6-cylinder doen't have a CVT. you bought a 2013, woefully underpowered CX5, so i really don't think you're one to talk. the 2013 was so bad mazda had to rush the 2014 to market. good luck on your resale...

Yes, I read. Example: "the 6-cyl comes with a regular 5-speed tranny through 2014. the 2015 is all CVT." I recall who wrote that....

Note: Rav4 thread, no popcorn required if on topic.

Last edited:
Lets get ready to rumble..........I'm getting some popcorn.

Just kidding, hey they make all kinds of cars because people have varrying needs and likes, no need to beat up on each other.....Ok I feel better now.

Well done, I couldn't resist too. lol

Yes, I read. Example: "the 6-cyl comes with a regular 5-speed tranny through 2014. the 2015 is all CVT." I recall who wrote that....

Note: Rav4 thread, no popcorn required if on topic.

odd, i don't see 'moderator' by your name. just the silliness that you actually donated money. snicker. you are continuing the off-topic, btw. you contributed nothing to the rav4 topic...

Odd. Pay to play, lol.

Regarding the offtopic conversation:

Odd. Pay to play, lol.

Regarding the offtopic conversation:

who pays for something offered for free? not me. this site costs nothing to use. and you're still continuing the off-topic.

^ cthewOrld - sorry if I bothered you, that wasn't the intention.

Nodnerb - How's the new Rav4 treating you so far.

Nodnerb - How's the new Rav4 treating you so far.

Hasn't let me down in any way shape or form. Love it!!! Loved my cx5 too though. Glad my old thread has been so entertaining. Miss the cx5 for some things, but the rav is the better vehicle for me. If the cx5 wasn't a dud though, and mazda was prepared to help, I'd still have it. The rav is an awesome winter car. Starts faster, runs better, gets warm faster and blows more heat. Handles as good as the cx5 did and has much more power than the 2.0 cx5. And it doesn't stall!!!!! Still hope everyone loves their cx5 though. Wish there wasn't so much hate towards the rav on this thread. Kind of immature. Like kids arguing over apple or android. Both the rav and cx5 are great IMO. Drawbacks and bonuses to both, same as every other product in existence. Thought that was clear in my original post though. I don't think I was being biased at all and it is a great car if it works right and even more so with the 2.5 I'm sure. For me, I like how my rav starts when I want it to though. Lol. You know my dilemma. You've heard of my issues from the get go.

Last edited:
FWIW, we test drove a RAV4 XLE and really liked it. It impressed us more than the CX-5. Too bad Toyota no longer offers a manual, that would have sealed the deal.

That being said, I still have not bought anything. I have cash-in-hand but nothing has screamed "buy me" yet.
I guess I'll have to get something when my current vehicle gives up.

FWIW, we test drove a RAV4 XLE and really liked it. It impressed us more than the CX-5. Too bad Toyota no longer offers a manual, that would have sealed the deal.

That being said, I still have not bought anything. I have cash-in-hand but nothing has screamed "buy me" yet.
I guess I'll have to get something when my current vehicle gives up.

Take it over some rougher roads if you are still considering the rav. The biggest complaint of most rav owners is it can be rough over some roads. And I agree but it's fine for me. May not be for some. The cx5 was a bit smoother over rough terrain. If you scour the rav4 forums though, there are so few real mechanical or engine issues it's hard to find anyone with an issue. Which is one of the reasons I went with it after the mazda.

And you or anyone else who wants honest unbiased opinions of the difference between the two I will offer it. I will not, nor have I ever bashed the cx5. People who bash other vehicles simple because they chose something different are ignorant. Buying a car is a personal choice to simply find the vehicle that works for them.
However, I am clearly not on this forum as much anymore for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Nodnerb - Thanks for for update on Rav4 ownership-to-date, your comparisons based on lots of seat time in both are useful to many of us. Keep us posted.

The Rav4 has upset a lot of UK owners due to the UK launch not including a space saver option initially. Many owners tow with one.

Finally Toyota UK did say a SS would be made available, so people bought a Rav expecting to either buy a SS or get one as standard, model dependant.

Toyota reneged on their original promise! which has upset a lot of owners, what's really bizarre is the UK car doesn't even have the bracket used to secure a spare wheel, it has to be WELDED to the boot of a NEW car!!

If you want a full sized spare then as with the CX-5 it involves raising the boot floor and losing luggage space, poor for both cars really.

In the US market, no significant impact on CX-5 demand w/ss spare versus full sized spare. We are just glad to avoid run flat tires.

Back