I'm calling out the guy that claims to have installed a Walbro in an MS6...

AH HA HA HA HA!!!!! SUCCESS!!! I am officially the first person to have successfully installed a Walbro into the speed 6! Well, unless that Boostedspd6 guy provides evidence, but I doubt that will happen.

First off, to get it to slide in there, I simply chamfered the edges of the step inside the sleeve, and then shot a heat gun in there to expand the plastic. But, that brings me to my first problem. Once you get it heated up enough to slide it in there, you only have so much time to get the pump in there before it becomes too tight, and since the plastic is softer at that point, it wants to bond to the pump. It's kind of a one-time shot to slide it in there perfectly lined up. I got my pump about an 1/8 of an inch from all the way, then I had to stop pushing to twist it a little to line it up. Once I got it lined up, it was then too late to push it in any more.

Since the nozzles weren't meeting up properly, fuel was not getting from the pump to the resevoir (the whole sleeve is a resevoir). It was instead coming out of the hole in the top of the sleeve where the electrical connector comes through. I needed to seal that entire portion, so I went to autozone and got a stick of plastic fuel tank crack filler and a dual mixture plastic welding agent. I filled the opening on top of the sleeve with the filler, then I "welded" two flat plastic shims over it all with a hole cut for the wires to poke through. It seems like overkill, but I read that the stock fuel pump supplies 61-65psi to the cam-driven one and this one is bigger, so I figured this would insure no pressure leaks.

The next immediate issue was that since I used the 341, the bottom cap would not fit back on. That didn't seem like too big of an issue at the time because I had a filter in the kit, plus the stock filter was f'n nasty. Well, after I put the Walbro filter on, I immediately realized that I had a height issue. Since I couldn't get the Walbro to budge inwards or outwards from the sleeve, when I would clip it down into the bucket, the opening inside the filter was being pushed down into the bottom of the bucket, literally choking the pump. I jogged it around in my head for a while until I figured out the best way I could approach this. I descided to leave off the piece that clips the sleeve to the bucket. I positioned the sleeve against the side of the bucket where I wanted it and drilled some holes to accomodate a few zip ties. I also drilled a few larger holes around the sides of the bucket and a couple on the bottom. I zip tied it elevated about 1" from the bottom. This left just enough room for the top portion of the assembly to slide down enough to tighten down the retaining ring.

So, I got it put back in (for the 12th time), turned the key, let it prime and started it. It fired right up! But, then soon died. ****! Took it back out (AGAIN), and through inspecting the assembly discovered that the valve for the pressure regulator had been blown out of it's seat, which is built onto the sleeve. Until then, I had thought it was sealed in there. I tinkered with it at the beggining of this whole thing, and it wouldn't move, so I didn't think anything about it. Well, as it turns out, the bottom cap for the sleeve has a portion attached to it that clips over and retains the valve in it's seat. So, I cut that fucker off the bottom cap, and put it all back together (AGAIN).

Finally, I got it started, and it stayed started! I let it idle for about 5 minutes and shut it off. I did that about four times before taking it for a spin. I intentionally didn't disconnect the battery because I didn't want any false interpretations of how it affected the vehicle. Yeah, I know it was a little dangerous, but every time I touched the electrical connector, the retaining ring was sealed down, and any time the gas tank was open, the electrical connector was wrapped up in a towell. So, I don't want to hear it. As for how it changed things, all tip-ins from all the rpm ranges I tried were much smoother and without that slight hesitation it used to have. It's difficult to explain, but it seems more consistant and responsive, like it's ready to go whenever you step on it. I have a very loud exhaust, and my car used to gurgle and pop alot, especially around 2800-3200rpm. It doesn't at all any more. As far as fixing the fuel cut, no such luck, although, it was 36*F during my post-intallation evaluation, as oposed to 76*F during my pre-installation evaluation. It did, however push it back a little more. I also removed my ATP "Boost Cut Killer" piece of junk between runs, and guess what, removing it actually made it more difficult to produce the fuel cut! All in all, I wish it wouldn't have been such a pain in the ass, but I'm glad I did it.

Advice to those who attempt this...
1. Stuff a corner of a paper towell in the female acceptor inside the sleeve before doing any dremeling or boreing in there. The whole sleeve is a resevoir with no filter between it and the CDFP AFAIK, so you don't want any particles or debris to get in there.
2. Dremel the step inside the sleeve down to the acceptor for the pump nozzel, but be careful not to take off too much material. If you compremise the resevoir, it might never be made to work properly.
3. There is a small white sleeve and a rubber ring that both need to be transfered from the nozzel on the stock fuel pump to the Walbro fuel pump.
4. Use a heat gun to expand the sleeve, but don't hold the heat still. It will melt the plastic. Make sure you have the pump lined up before jamming it in there. You only have one shot at it if you're doing it this way, and it is permanent once the plastic cools (about 5-7 seconds after heating). If you don't get it all the way in, you can complete the process as I had to as long as it's kinda close and it's lined up.
5. If you're using the Walbro filter, remember to remove the portion of the sleeve's bottom cap to retain the pressure regulator valve.

If anybody is giving this a try and runs into a snag, let me know. I can try to walk through it.

yep pics = proof

no pics no proof and that just makes us think you are a liar (stfu)

thanks ATE i plan on doing this in the spring useing your write up

if i did it myslef i would have the pics.. since i didnt do it myself i dont have very many.. remember when me and vinnie did this mod NO ONE ELSE had done it yet, i had no other information but to get it working, and make it work..if its such a big deal meet me on race day at the track. i plan having the whole motor rebuilt and getting the big 3076R, putting on some new axles and rebuilding the tranny..ill be in the 12's where will you be? bring that GSX

Last edited:
Yeah, didn't someone dip into the 12.9s with just an intake and exhaust on the other forum?

Boostedspd6, if you can find someone in the area to meet up with you to verify it, go right ahead. All they have to do is listen to your back seat when you start the car. If they can hear a whining sound for about 3 seconds before you crank it, then it is verified. The stock pump is very quiet, whereas the Walbro is pretty damned loud. If someone that is credible to this forum can honestly vouch for you, I'll give you a public appology for saying that you don't have a Walbro in your car. But until then, I'm gonna call BS. Either way you look at it, you lied, whether it's actually in there or not. YOU origionally said that YOU did it, and that YOU dropped the tank, and that YOU borrowed a tool from Mazda, and that YOU modified it to work right, and that YOU were going to do a write up all about how YOU got it to work. Now you are saying that it was done at a shop. A shop wouldn't have done what I had to go through to put a Walbro in the tank. They would have made you pay for a replacement bucket which costs $185.00. Then they would have charged you an ass-ton of money to modify the bucket to accept the Walbro. You're looking at around at least $300.00 worth of work without the cost of the pump or bucket. If you honestly spent that much money to get a Walbro in there, then I feel even more sorry for you. Either way, YOU are a liar and YOU have lost some credibility here.

Update: Car is still running great. I can only get the fuel cut to occur at/after around 6000 rpm, and that's at about 40*F AND after removing my ATP "Boost Cut Killer". Next on my list of things to do is a CDFP. Then, I believe, I'll have the most fuel available to the motor on an MS6 or MS3 (on this side of the world at least). Cheers!

.....like it was nothing....and to say youll be in the 12s after 10 G's is depressing.

it wont be 10 grand maybe about 6,500 i have lots of hook-ups.. the only thing im going to have to buy at cost is the pistons rods and the turbo kit and the cam driven pump, but i can send mine back in for a core charge.. everything else i can get done for a cheaper price.

priced out some axles for the car at about $750....the rebuilt trans about $950 to $1000 including the clutch-shop guy owes me a favor since i brang him some good business on exhausts. and im not doing it till the spring time so prices should drop on the turbo kit by then hopefully.

i hit 13.29 with a 1.7 60 foot with my intake exhaust and the cp-e FMIC, MBC set at 17psi with the walbro....time slip is posted on the 1/4 mile thread i believe.. but i want more and i wanna be the fastest or second fastest behind chris, i dont wanna end up like mike.

Last edited:
Yeah, didn't someone dip into the 12.9s with just an intake and exhaust on the other forum?

Boostedspd6, if you can find someone in the area to meet up with you to verify it, go right ahead. All they have to do is listen to your back seat when you start the car. If they can hear a whining sound for about 3 seconds before you crank it, then it is verified. The stock pump is very quiet, whereas the Walbro is pretty damned loud. If someone that is credible to this forum can honestly vouch for you, I'll give you a public appology for saying that you don't have a Walbro in your car. But until then, I'm gonna call BS. Either way you look at it, you lied, whether it's actually in there or not. YOU origionally said that YOU did it, and that YOU dropped the tank, and that YOU borrowed a tool from Mazda, and that YOU modified it to work right, and that YOU were going to do a write up all about how YOU got it to work. Now you are saying that it was done at a shop. A shop wouldn't have done what I had to go through to put a Walbro in the tank. They would have made you pay for a replacement bucket which costs $185.00. Then they would have charged you an ass-ton of money to modify the bucket to accept the Walbro. You're looking at around at least $300.00 worth of work without the cost of the pump or bucket. If you honestly spent that much money to get a Walbro in there, then I feel even more sorry for you. Either way, YOU are a liar and YOU have lost some credibility here.

Update: Car is still running great. I can only get the fuel cut to occur at/after around 6000 rpm, and that's at about 40*F AND after removing my ATP "Boost Cut Killer". Next on my list of things to do is a CDFP. Then, I believe, I'll have the most fuel available to the motor on an MS6 or MS3 (on this side of the world at least). Cheers!

that was me 12.8 with TBE CAI and EMS

i think chris has a good shot for low 12's once hes up and running good.. thats what i wanna shot for if not lower..

I also have a couple of 12.8s, 12.9s and just as soon as I have the new cam driven fuel pump and turbo manifold I will be in the mid to low 12's.

i think chris has a good shot for low 12's once hes up and running good.. thats what i wanna shot for if not lower..

if your talking about me i am planning on getting 11's and then when i go with a fully built drivetrain ill be going for 10's. This is if no other problems arise as far as the computer and fuel flow go. Ive seen a few cars do high 10's with the 3076r and if its not possible there will be a turbo upgrade.

well you will get the power,just worry about the rest of the car! i can see the car wheels falling off with those super sayayin powers!

AH HA HA HA HA!!!!! SUCCESS!!! I am officially the first person to have successfully installed a Walbro into the speed 6! Well, unless that Boostedspd6 guy provides evidence, but I doubt that will happen.

First off, to get it to slide in there, I simply chamfered the edges of the step inside the sleeve, and then shot a heat gun in there to expand the plastic. But, that brings me to my first problem. Once you get it heated up enough to slide it in there, you only have so much time to get the pump in there before it becomes too tight, and since the plastic is softer at that point, it wants to bond to the pump. It's kind of a one-time shot to slide it in there perfectly lined up. I got my pump about an 1/8 of an inch from all the way, then I had to stop pushing to twist it a little to line it up. Once I got it lined up, it was then too late to push it in any more.

Since the nozzles weren't meeting up properly, fuel was not getting from the pump to the resevoir (the whole sleeve is a resevoir). It was instead coming out of the hole in the top of the sleeve where the electrical connector comes through. I needed to seal that entire portion, so I went to autozone and got a stick of plastic fuel tank crack filler and a dual mixture plastic welding agent. I filled the opening on top of the sleeve with the filler, then I "welded" two flat plastic shims over it all with a hole cut for the wires to poke through. It seems like overkill, but I read that the stock fuel pump supplies 61-65psi to the cam-driven one and this one is bigger, so I figured this would insure no pressure leaks.

The next immediate issue was that since I used the 341, the bottom cap would not fit back on. That didn't seem like too big of an issue at the time because I had a filter in the kit, plus the stock filter was f'n nasty. Well, after I put the Walbro filter on, I immediately realized that I had a height issue. Since I couldn't get the Walbro to budge inwards or outwards from the sleeve, when I would clip it down into the bucket, the opening inside the filter was being pushed down into the bottom of the bucket, literally choking the pump. I jogged it around in my head for a while until I figured out the best way I could approach this. I descided to leave off the piece that clips the sleeve to the bucket. I positioned the sleeve against the side of the bucket where I wanted it and drilled some holes to accomodate a few zip ties. I also drilled a few larger holes around the sides of the bucket and a couple on the bottom. I zip tied it elevated about 1" from the bottom. This left just enough room for the top portion of the assembly to slide down enough to tighten down the retaining ring.

So, I got it put back in (for the 12th time), turned the key, let it prime and started it. It fired right up! But, then soon died. ****! Took it back out (AGAIN), and through inspecting the assembly discovered that the valve for the pressure regulator had been blown out of it's seat, which is built onto the sleeve. Until then, I had thought it was sealed in there. I tinkered with it at the beggining of this whole thing, and it wouldn't move, so I didn't think anything about it. Well, as it turns out, the bottom cap for the sleeve has a portion attached to it that clips over and retains the valve in it's seat. So, I cut that fucker off the bottom cap, and put it all back together (AGAIN).

Finally, I got it started, and it stayed started! I let it idle for about 5 minutes and shut it off. I did that about four times before taking it for a spin. I intentionally didn't disconnect the battery because I didn't want any false interpretations of how it affected the vehicle. Yeah, I know it was a little dangerous, but every time I touched the electrical connector, the retaining ring was sealed down, and any time the gas tank was open, the electrical connector was wrapped up in a towell. So, I don't want to hear it. As for how it changed things, all tip-ins from all the rpm ranges I tried were much smoother and without that slight hesitation it used to have. It's difficult to explain, but it seems more consistant and responsive, like it's ready to go whenever you step on it. I have a very loud exhaust, and my car used to gurgle and pop alot, especially around 2800-3200rpm. It doesn't at all any more. As far as fixing the fuel cut, no such luck, although, it was 36*F during my post-intallation evaluation, as oposed to 76*F during my pre-installation evaluation. It did, however push it back a little more. I also removed my ATP "Boost Cut Killer" piece of junk between runs, and guess what, removing it actually made it more difficult to produce the fuel cut! All in all, I wish it wouldn't have been such a pain in the ass, but I'm glad I did it.

Advice to those who attempt this...
1. Stuff a corner of a paper towell in the female acceptor inside the sleeve before doing any dremeling or boreing in there. The whole sleeve is a resevoir with no filter between it and the CDFP AFAIK, so you don't want any particles or debris to get in there.
2. Dremel the step inside the sleeve down to the acceptor for the pump nozzel, but be careful not to take off too much material. If you compremise the resevoir, it might never be made to work properly.
3. There is a small white sleeve and a rubber ring that both need to be transfered from the nozzel on the stock fuel pump to the Walbro fuel pump.
4. Use a heat gun to expand the sleeve, but don't hold the heat still. It will melt the plastic. Make sure you have the pump lined up before jamming it in there. You only have one shot at it if you're doing it this way, and it is permanent once the plastic cools (about 5-7 seconds after heating). If you don't get it all the way in, you can complete the process as I had to as long as it's kinda close and it's lined up.
5. If you're using the Walbro filter, remember to remove the portion of the sleeve's bottom cap to retain the pressure regulator valve.

If anybody is giving this a try and runs into a snag, let me know. I can try to walk through it.

You might try a little non-stick cooking spray like PAM on the pump body as you're pushing it into the heated plastic. That should keep the pump from sticking to the housing as it cools, and it won't hurt either the pump or the plastic housing.

pam is a very good idea +1. 12's..7 grand? with hookups? that is depressing lol. i think you need some track time bro!

well nobody knows what the rest of the car can handle..i was just shooting the low 12's number out there.. seeing what chris has said who knows maybe ill be in the 11's or 10's, but thats not till the spring.. and ill admit id like to see more track time just dont have the time every week to get up there or i would believe me, epping NH is the closest one and its 2 hours from me. 13.29 and only my second time ever at the track is pretty good for a rookie i think haha..

Last edited:
you should be able to hit low 12's, with CAI TBE EMS CDFP

like $3000...including PnP adapter and a tune ;)

well yeah.. im just going to build the drivetrain as well as the motor..so i may hopefully not break alot of stuff..but im sure ill break something..

Last edited:
Back