If you could change one thing...

Not on Mazda's radar to add a turbo to the 2.0. Their prime reason for the 2.5T was the CX-9.

The 2.5T 6s figures from memory are not that far off the 2.5NA AWD CX-5 figures
Huh? 2.5T 6 is getting 250hp/310 torque per mazdausa.com builder.

The 2.5L is 187hp/186 torque.

Unless you are talking different numbers and I misunderstood.

I dont understand this running out of steam above 70 notion. Maybe doesn't quite have oomph above that, but I am regularly accidentally finding myself 80+ on highways and slowing myself back down.

I dont understand this running out of steam above 70 notion. Maybe doesn't quite have oomph above that, but I am regularly accidentally finding myself 80+ on highways and slowing myself back down.

Probably because you're always the only one in your CX-5. But really, I would rather you not understand why other people say it is slow above 70, because once you understand, then you might think it is slow and you might not be happy that it is slow. If people don't think their CX-5 is slow, I sincerely think good for them.

A fairly recent experience I have is coming up behind a slow cargo truck on a two lane highway. I wanted to pass the truck before we get to a junction. A Ford Escape was still farther down, but coming up on the left lane, obviously cruising at a higher speed. I thought well I better pass this truck now or I might get stuck behind it. And so I proceeded to go WOT and tried to pass the truck. I peeled out from behind the truck at probably 65 mph or so and the full force of drag hit our car. Our CX-5 was taking awhile to gain speed and pass the truck. Meanwhile the Ford Escape was coming up behind me, getting closer and closer until such time that it was just waiting for us to pass the truck. I only had my wife and my nearly 2 year old kid in the car. During that passing attempt, I was wishing for a lot more horsepower. That is not representative of everyone's driving experience for sure. But most highway speed limits are now 70 mph around Texas, not to mention the 80 mph roads you'll encounter on road trips. In my driving environment, it could use some more power above 70 mph.

Disclaimer: I drive a mildly tuned Speed3 that probably makes over 300 lb-ft of torque at 4k RPM. Surely that affects my judgment when doing highway passing maneuvers.

Probably because you're always the only one in your CX-5. But really, I would rather you not understand why other people say it is slow above 70, because once you understand, then you might think it is slow and you might not be happy that it is slow. If people don't think their CX-5 is slow, I sincerely think good for them.

A fairly recent experience I have is coming up behind a slow cargo truck on a two lane highway. I wanted to pass the truck before we get to a junction. A Ford Escape was still farther down, but coming up on the left lane, obviously cruising at a higher speed. I thought well I better pass this truck now or I might get stuck behind it. And so I proceeded to go WOT and tried to pass the truck. I peeled out from behind the truck at probably 65 mph or so and the full force of drag hit our car. Our CX-5 was taking awhile to gain speed and pass the truck. Meanwhile the Ford Escape was coming up behind me, getting closer and closer until such time that it was just waiting for us to pass the truck. I only had my wife and my nearly 2 year old kid in the car. During that passing attempt, I was wishing for a lot more horsepower. That is not representative of everyone's driving experience for sure. But most highway speed limits are now 70 mph around Texas, not to mention the 80 mph roads you'll encounter on road trips. In my driving environment, it could use some more power above 70 mph.

Disclaimer: I drive a mildly tuned Speed3 that probably makes over 300 lb-ft of torque at 4k RPM. Surely that affects my judgment when doing highway passing maneuvers.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if the CX-5 had some more HP :D

You're right that I do mostly drive alone, so maybe that's it. I do occasionally have girlfriend in the passenger side. Even then, have had no complaints.

I would never consider a CX-5 fast like your Speed 3, or other such type cars, but that's an apples to oranges in my mind. I don't have any misconceptions here...it's a CUV :p

Yea, mine has never failed me in the "I need speed NOW" department. No, it's not as fast as the wife's Volvo or my previous Saab... I didn't buy it thinking it would be. But the power is there when I need it. I had a very heavy load in my car Friday and had no complaints. Of course I was not driving as spiritedly as I normally do as the driving mechanics were off because of weight distribution so I felt I had to be more careful. Still no complaints. Wouldn't say no to moar powah, but if that's what I wanted in a CUV? I'd have bought something else. ;)

What about the upcoming Skyactiv-X?
Isn't that supposed to have 20% more torque AND better MPG?

Seems like win / win to me. If it works!

Huh? 2.5T 6 is getting 250hp/310 torque per mazdausa.com builder.

The 2.5L is 187hp/186 torque.

Unless you are talking different numbers and I misunderstood.

Sorry I was talking about fuel ecomomy figures:

2018 Mazda 6 2.5T 23/31mpg
2018 Mazda CX-5 2.5NA AWD 24/30mpg

Last edited:
What about the upcoming Skyactiv-X?
Isn't that supposed to have 20% more torque AND better MPG?

Seems like win / win to me. If it works!

For 2.0L yes. No info if an equivalent 2.5 is coming

One thing:
Adjustability of the Blind Spot Monitor. Or just a lot less sensitive.

Minor things:
Load time on infotainment. And get rid of the damn warning.
Pulling door handle opens door when locked. My wifes Mercedes has this, and I like it a lot better than the button. Button is still better than keys though.
Make the parking break just a button. It's electronic. Shouldn't have to be pulled/pushed a certain way. And just have it disengage when you hit the gas.
Lessen the sensitivity of the Lock on Walk Away feature. I can't even go to the passenger side before the thing locks.
The ability to move the Heads Up Display left and right. You can move it up and down and rotate it. Why would anyone want to rotate the thing anyways?
Maybe some music info somewhere when the Navigation is running. Currently just says Navigation at the top. Uhhh, I know...
Would be nice to have some configurability to what is shown on the right side of the instrument cluster. Don't need a compass.

Yeah, you creep up there. Try passing at 75mph. Or try looking at your mpg doing 75 and then at 85. The thing just falls on its face. Mainly I'm irritated over the bad mileage, but the passing power is weak after 70ish. Regardless, a v6 would get better mileage, or a turbo, or something. Kind of like how my 505hp z06 got almost the same mileage my 332bhp 370z did at 75ish, even though the 370z is slicker. Much less strain on the engine when it's got more to give.

Last edited:
One thing:

Minor things:
Pulling door handle opens door when locked. My wifes Mercedes has this, and I like it a lot better than the button. Button is still better than keys though.
Make the parking break just a button. It's electronic. Shouldn't have to be pulled/pushed a certain way. And just have it disengage when you hit the gas.
Lessen the sensitivity of the Lock on Walk Away feature. I can't even go to the passenger side before the thing locks.
The ability to move the Heads Up Display left and right. You can move it up and down and rotate it. Why would anyone want to rotate the thing anyways?
Maybe some music info somewhere when the Navigation is running. Currently just says Navigation at the top. Uhhh, I know...
Would be nice to have some configurability to what is shown on the right side of the instrument cluster. Don't need a compass.

It does disengage when you hit the gas, on both my 16 and my 17 it did this.

Interesting. Mine does not. Had it happen this morning. It always engages when I park and have the Stop Hold pressed, so sometimes I am not aware that it is engaged when I get back in. This is a 17 GT.

Maybe just turn off the audible warning for BSM and keep the visual

Interesting. Mine does not. Had it happen this morning. It always engages when I park and have the Stop Hold pressed, so sometimes I am not aware that it is engaged when I get back in. This is a 17 GT.
Check the owner's manual, it is set up to disengage if car is turned on and seatbelt is on whether in drive or reverse. If yours does not do that take it in to get it checked

Check the owner's manual, it is set up to disengage if car is turned on and seatbelt is on whether in drive or reverse. If yours does not do that take it in to get it checked

So I just did some messing around and it does disengage when I set the parking brake. However, when Auto Hold engaged the parking break it doesnt not automatically disengage. Interesting

So I just did some messing around and it does disengage when I set the parking brake. However, when Auto Hold engaged the parking break it doesn’t not automatically disengage. Interesting

That's odd as it doesn't seem to matter with mine, autohold engages it when I park for the night and when I drive off in the morning I just hit the gas, never had an issue.

One thing:

Minor things:

Dude! No kidding. 5-10 minutes of dicking with it just to get my phone/Pandora paired is why I hate cheap crap like Mazda's "tether" system vs. XM/Sirius. Then to get the phone to pair, you have to make a phone call sometimes, and flip from bluetooth to Pandora to force it, and so on. It's a damn mess. Probably the only area of this car that truly pisses me off. I need to just rip it out and put in a decent aftermarket unit, but...econococar/defeats purpose.

That's odd as it doesn't seem to matter with mine, autohold engages it when I park for the night and when I drive off in the morning I just hit the gas, never had an issue.

Go figure. It's working now. I dunno. It definitely hasn't disengaged at times, but it seems to now. Maybe I just needed to say something about the issue for the car to correct itself lol.

Back