I want to use a iPOD with my stock stereo system in the P5? Will it work or not?

read the fine print from that link:

NOTE: TRIBUTE Not compatible with 2003 (6-disc in-dash) model radios

This sucks!

THere is currently no direct way to interface with a stock protege radio, PERIOD!

To my knowledge the single disc Tirubute is a ford style radio

Last edited:
Hey pheonix, you mentioned schematics....you have the schematics for the 6 disc in dash changer????

i found this link awhile back
Detailed info
he linked at the bottom to this site on Miata.net

and i found a picture which showed a HU from a 1999 miata which looked the same as ours but the wiring does not seem to follow.

i sat for about 90 minutes trying with pins with a resistor and tried all the darn pins i could just to get the MD/Tape button to activate. no luck you can presume.

maybe we can get some info from the manufacturers as suggested by the guy on that website.

this is an inexpensive way to do it

buy yourself an alpine fm modulator, it can be used for controlling aftermarket electronics through an fm signal, the reason i say to use alpine is because the competitors such as panisonic and audiovox (in my experience) caused alot of engine noise, you know the sound.........hear the reving through your speakers, it's pretty cheap and works awesome.

way off

t3ase said:
If your P5 has a cassette player, just get a tape adapter from Radio Shack. It's a tape that has a wire coming off of it which plugs into a 1/8" miniplug and plays through the tape. Not sure about the "full dynamic range", but it'd do the job better than a FM modulator.

no offense but a cassette adapter is better than and electronic device that is designed to obliterate every possible situation that the cassette adapter would employ?........huh...........good one. think about it, you are transfering information input through a single sheathed wire (one channel only) then splicing it to make it have 2 channels, then having the "heads" of the cassette adapter transfer the music through the factory stereo that only really generates about 7 watts per channel all being powered through the cigarette lighter that gives the whole 11.6 volts on ignition that is't clean enough for the i-pod to worlk properly and thus instigating engine noise.

but again................no offense

tape deck adapter is a bad idea...very poor quality.. even with my ipod and rcainput i still have to jack the volume way up...but quality is good.

akhilleus said:
tape deck adapter is a bad idea...very poor quality.. even with my ipod and rcainput i still have to jack the volume way up...but quality is good.
Try turning the deck over. Seriously. :) I used to drive a ghetto '87 Ford Tempo and I used a tape adapter to play off of a discman. If the tape player was set to play the B side of a tape, the adapter worked like crap. I had to turn the volume all the way up to hear the audio at all, and it was, naturally, extremely staticy at that volume. Hitting the "flip" button always fixed it.

On the original subject, I'd be willing to pay decent money for a solution to putting aux inputs on the 2003.5 P5's HU with 6-disc changer. I've got a Kenwood Music Keg (hard-drive based MP3 player) that, currently, is running through an FM modulator. Even with the modulator's hooked up to my antenna input (instead of the signal actually travelling over the air), the quality is crap compared to a CD burned from the exact same set of MP3s. Had this thing in my last car, too, and it sounded just gorgeous when wired into the CD changer input on a Kenwood head unit.

I'm also sort of prodding the nearest MazdaSpeed dealer about info on the MSP's Kenwood HU or at least the dash kit. With that said, I really like the "stock" look and I'd much rather just somehow plug the RCAs coming out of the MP3 player into whatever socket is supposed to take sound from the MD or tape player option. I haven't had a chance to rip out the HU and look, but surely there's some sort of connector for those options...

hi everyone, i hooked up my ipod to my protege's radio. I opened up the radio and soldered on some wires(L,R,GND). Near the cd player there is a circuit board with clearly labeled pins. took about 10 minutes and cost me 2.50 for the wire

I figured there was a way to connect to the internal inputs... but how is sound quality? and without shielded wires is there engine noise?

sound quality is very good, but because it is basically getting 2 signals the volume drops down. at first i just used the wire into the headphone jack but i had to keep the ipod volume very high. last week i bought the belkin charger which also has a line out with a little amp, helps alot, but i have noticed some engine noise but only when i am playing really bad quality fioles where i have to boost the radio volume. My guess is it's cause of the radio ground cause i've noticed that my speakers pop when my radio goes on and off

one more thing i forgot to mention, i have to play a blank cd at the same time so the radio knows to accept the signal from the ipod. i found a post on a miata forum where a guy did what i did but also wired up another wire so the radio thinks there is a tape/md hooked up so he didn't need the cd, but he did need a switch

maybe.. on my setup i used an rcainput rca to AI-NEt convertor and apple 1/8" to rca. I too usually have to put my volume up fairly high on the HU... since i want to conserve batt. life on my ipod i keep it at 2/3 volume usually. u should watch that ground cause u could damage equip with that setup.. either internally or somewhere else in the curcuit.

Folks- I spent several hours the other day scouring the Web for any lead on tapping into the OEM radio and it seems it just might be possible to do it with the jack that the Mazda MiniDisc or Tape Player would plug into. Blitzsafe claims to be working on a product for the Mazda modular radio.
Feel free to check out what I have learned: http://www.stevedarnley.com/mazda_mp3.html

i just purchased a transpod. its an fm modulator, holder, charger, all in one. it works pretty damn good for being through the fm radio. you have the whole fm band to choose from. you find a blank station on fm and then change the transpod's dial to it. i suggest that if you cant get anything else to work for you ipod.

well that really sucks! My friend has an old (early 90's) Honda Civic, and when he took it in for engine maintaince the shop saw his I-pod plugged in through the tape deck, and so one of the mechanics hooked up a direct wire for him in the back of the radio and it sounds great! I was excited when I saw that and thought I could do the same...I really hate to replace the stock radio.

Back