I want to buy a 2023 CX-5. What are the major issues?

I'm looking to buy a 2023 CX-5 Preferred, Premium, or Premium Plus. I'm curious to know what the most significant problems are. For example, transmission failures, major engine problems, major electrical problems, water intrusion, paint flaking off, etc., etc. Please advise. Many thanks.
I have a 2023 CX-5 Signature. It's not had any problems. Not ever one. It just turned over 8 thousand miles.

it's a shame they don't make the paint job/clearcoat thicker/better on these cars, especially since they have some nice colors. i have the red and it still looks good, especially after a (touchless!) washing and waxing, but up close you can see the chips and even exposed metal in spots that got scratched. don't even think of using a brush on the finish. i got my 2017 used late last summer, but it supposedly came with the PPF or whatever it's called, but still has a good number of chips and scratches (note: car was supposedly mainly a nurse's highway commuter car). from afar it looks great; it's just when you get up closer you can see the chips near the front of the car. if you're OCD about paint chips, i'd either get a heavy duty paint protection or look elsewhere. i personally love the red and white colors.
I get my CX-5 detailed at the Mazda dealer once a year. The detailer mentioned in passing he thought that Mazda paint and/or clearcoat were a bit on the thin and/or soft side resulting in more stone chips than usual as compared to (some) other brands. I'm thankful I had PPF installed when my vehicle was new.

On another note I have the 2018 2.5 NA with CD. I had the recall software update done in response to potential lifter issues (but had no issues before or after the update). To date, with 55,000kms (34,000 miles), I have had absolutely no problems. I am also a believer that if you drive your vehicle hard, race the engine often by getting the revs up towards the redline, you are more apt to have engine issues early in your vehicle ownership.

Last edited:
to me the major design issue is LED DRL on both gen1 and gen2

in 2016 with tech package they were failing big time, about $700 to replace (one unit), I was fortunate to have first one fail within warranty and the second one post-warranty but within half a year after they "serviced" it as part of a recall

in gen2 they use low beam as a DRL, this definitely shortens low beam life span, probably about the same price to replace or more

the headlights and engine together can cost me close to $5k post-warranty and are a major concern when considering whether to keep it or move on after three years of ownership

I'm not sure if other car manufacturers are any better in terms of risks, but at least they have longer warranties
I agree. I pulled out the fuse for the DRL in my 22 CX5 to extend the lifespan of the headlights.

I get my CX-5 detailed at the Mazda dealer once a year. The detailer mentioned in passing he thought that Mazda paint and/or clearcoat were a bit on the thin and/or soft side resulting in more stone chips than usual as compared to (some) other brands. I'm thankful I had PPF installed when my vehicle was new.

On another note I have the 2018 2.5 NA with CD. I had the recall software update done in response to potential lifter issues (but had no issues before or after the update). To date, with 55,000kms (34,000 miles), I have had absolutely no problems. I am also a believer that if you drive your vehicle hard, race the engine often by getting the revs up towards the redline, you are more apt to have engine issues early in your vehicle ownership.
what does the detailing entail, interior only or inside and out? do most mazda dealers do detailing for customers?

what does the detailing entail, interior only or inside and out? do most mazda dealers do detailing for customers?
My dealer detailer has 3 different levels of clean. Because I have been getting it done by them for years I am now getting a discount. I get the top level clean which includes cleaning/detailing the inside(including carpet shampoo), outside wash, wax and polish, wheels and wheel wells. Because I give my vehicle a light wash myself a day or 2 beforehand to remove any grime/mud, as well as clean out all my interior junk beforehand, they throw in an exterior paint clay decontamination and engine bay wash (both which normally are an extra cost). I point out any fine scratches beforehand which they appreciate and pay particular attention to buffing them out. To top it off their advertised prices are the least expensive in the city!!

I believe that most Mazda dealers in my province offer an inhouse deatailing service or have a connection with a local detailing business.

I'm looking to buy a 2023 CX-5 Preferred, Premium, or Premium Plus. I'm curious to know what the most significant problems are. For example, transmission failures, major engine problems, major electrical problems, water intrusion, paint flaking off, etc., etc. Please advise. Many thanks.
Mine is 2020 model. Three windscreens - that’s a problem. Or maybe I have bad luck and I get all the rocks. Second problem, but I wouldn’t call it major, folding mirrors. After a while they stop working properly. But other than that, knock on wood, no issues!

Whichever model you choose I recommend getting (PPF) Paint Protection Film installed on the front of your CX-5. Mazda paint easily chips and the PPF is money well spent IMO.

Whichever model you choose I recommend getting (PPF) Paint Protection Film installed on the front of your CX-5. Mazda paint easily chips and the PPF is money well spent IMO.
what part of the front of the vehicle to you get filmed.... entire hood? part of the hood? entire lower front of car? entire both side fenders ? Whats the minimum area to eliminate the chips?

what part of the front of the vehicle to you get filmed.... entire hood? part of the hood? entire lower front of car? entire both side fenders ? Whats the minimum area to eliminate the chips?

Depends on how much money you have to spend, honestly. The more film that you use, the higher the cost. Installation is tricky with this stuff so the labor time required (and requisite skill) is high. It’s a fine balance to pick the level of protection that results in a price that you are comfortable with, and installers will accommodate revisions to their packages (after all, you pay for what you need).

A full front end PPF (all the way to the A pillars) can get pricy ($3000+). A more tactical option of the exposed front bumper, partial front fenders (typically to the highest point of the wheel well), 18-24” of the front hood, and mirrors may run half that and offer just as good protection. Costs can change depending if your installer uses pre-cut pieces of film that cover areas with minor gaps, or uses slightly longer pieces of film that they “tuck” behind the painted surfaces when possible, but that is more of a cosmetic benefit than a protection one.

Looking back at my older car, I only saw rock chips on the exposed front bumper and beginning of the hood. I opted for only partial protection. Your experience may be different, and of course nothing may annoy you more than getting partial protection and seeing a rock chip 1” above the PPF line. If I had a show car I would wrap the whole thing, but for a mass-market commodity, there are trade offs to be made.

No problems at all: no major nor smaller ones.
CX-5 2017 2.5L NA CD, presently 2022 2.5L NA CD.
This car is mature now, so you can buy one in confidence.

My ex-CX-5 (MY2017, delivered in september 2017) is NA and CD, which I can prove.
It did receive a firmware update with regards to CD (as per the maintenance invoice, 2019) , and never had any problems with it; sold it to my younger sister - no problems with cylinder deactivation, which she now uses frequently (950 km up/down in France).
Would you please stick to the subject.

Indeed. There is plenty of 2018 year models with more than 100,000 miles which are still driven and a lot for sale as well on the market. Saying over and over that Cylinder deactivation is problematic is just not accurate to me. Yes some may have issues as with any other engine or manufacturer.
Especially if we are talking about 2022 and 2023 models its not fair to say CD is problematic and implying that engine will fail soon :)
I also have 2018 one which got the software recall and 0 problems with the engine or CD.

Last edited:
My ex-CX-5 (MY2017, delivered in september 2017) is NA and CD, which I can prove. It did receive a firmware update with regards to CD (as per the maintenance invoice, 2019) , and never had any problems with it; sold it to my younger sister - no problems with cylinder deactivation, which she now uses frequently (950 km up/down in France). Would you please stick to the subject.
Please be specific that your 2017 CX-5 is from Europe or France. Most members here in this forum are from US. 2017 US CX-5 definitely has no cylinder deactivation.

Indeed. There is plenty of 2018 year models with more than 100,000 miles which are still driven and a lot for sale as well on the market. Saying over and over that Cylinder deactivation is problematic is just not accurate to me. Yes some may have issues as with any other engine or manufacturer.
Especially if we are talking about 2022 and 2023 models its not fair to say CD is problematic and implying that engine will fail soon :)
I also have 2018 one which got the software recall and 0 problems with the engine or CD.
If a feature caused one safety recall (falling rock arms), and several “major” TSBs (failing switchable hydraulic lash adjusters and cracked cylinder head), I myself would consider this feature is “problematic”. Not to mention however it’s rare when any of these happens to a CX-5 owner, it’d be a major repair and cost them an arm and a leg if the engine is out of warranty. See how many of these unfortunate Mazda owners will purchase another Mazda vehicle after this bad experience.

The big question is..... how many have there been per 1000 engines? is it only a small number isolated to a specific range of VIN numbers? It would be great if we had an existing Mazda mechanic who is actually in the field and sees what comes into the service bay of his dealership or dealerships. Then the other question is, if Mazda knows CD is/was a weak spot and they have not done any design change in the last few years, one would have to "assume" there is nothing to change other than what they have done to date. (a software change The HLA issue has been addressed w a physical update. Anyone with insider info would be great to hear from. The issue is, will CD be an issue with engines over a 150 to 200k mile age? For those who lease and then get rid of the 2.5 Liter engine, its not likely an issue.

Is there a doctor in the house (aka Mazda Mechanic) ?

Back