How you doing?

Damn, need to catch up. Whatcha been buying there Uno?
Oil.

There are several things t hat could happen with my portfolio:

1) The company could go bankrupt...
...but it has great balance sheets and is cash-flow + even for 2020...

2) Oil will never increase in cost...
...highly unlikely, but, hey, I'll take $1/gal all day long any day, except it's now back up to $1.50/gal, so this has already "failed" as a prediction model.

3) I will make a lot of money off of this (relative to the $2625 I invested initially).

4) Society will collapse and money won't matter...
...that sucks. I'll have bigger concerns though.

Got some fish for my tank, finally. You can also see the gradual dynamic lighting changes from the LED light I'm using.

Sweet! I remember being a kid and getting read and blue incandescent lights for my hood. I wonder how the fish "see" in the LED spectrum.

But...why? Keep in mind in your reply that I just started trading <3mo ago, and am ignorant of a great deal.

I set up a trading acct online couple yrs back, always intended to start putting something into it. Then had a temp income dip. then baby so the money always seems to go somewhere. But, I'm lucky as a teacher I have a pension...so finding investments to fund retirement living is not a thing that keeps me up at night. But it would be fun to try picking.

I always thought I'd do big legacy companies with dividends, then just hold. I did get burned on what seemed like a lot of money in early 2000 (not much now) on Nortel. Was a Canadian darling, safe as safe until it wasn't. It was Blackberry before Blackberry. The experience made me a bit trigger shy.

I set up a trading acct online couple yrs back, always intended to start putting something into it. Then had a temp income dip. then baby so the money always seems to go somewhere. But, I'm lucky as a teacher I have a pension...so finding investments to fund retirement living is not a thing that keeps me up at night. But it would be fun to try picking.

I always thought I'd do big legacy companies with dividends, then just hold. I did get burned on what seemed like a lot of money in early 2000 (not much now) on Nortel. Was a Canadian darling, safe as safe until it wasn't. It was Blackberry before Blackberry. The experience made me a bit trigger shy.
Makes sense. I never got into the 401K thing, always preferring to spend money on things like a house, land, etc. I only did this for some quick spending cash.

Makes sense. I never got into the 401K thing, always preferring to spend money on things like a house, land, etc. I only did this for some quick spending cash.

401k works if you know how to use it. Just shoving 100% allocation to a "Retirement Date" fund is pretty much the absolute wrong way to do it.

401k works if you know how to use it. Just shoving 100% allocation to a "Retirement Date" fund is pretty much the absolute wrong way to do it.
I just discovered the stock market a couple of months ago. Baby steps...

That said, this week was a good week, and I am weasling closer and closer to a nice white phos gen 3 pvs14 and a MAWL.

I
Screenshot_20200605-201805_Robinhood.jpg

It probably depends on what firm you're using. Your current age may also give you some bias. I've been doing that for over 30 years and have no complaints. If I had more investing knowledge than them, I chose the wrong career. :)

Been over a month, how's everyone doing?

A couple of weeks ago, we spent the weekend at a cottage at Victoria Beach in MB. My company owns a few properties there, and they raffle off free weekend stays for every weekend in the summer.

After being "cooped up" for so long, it was nice to have a mini vacation. The cottage is only an hour and a half away from the city and C-19 precautions have been established, so we were safe.

My 2-year old and my wife loved it, and as they say, "happy wife, happy life". :p

IMG_20200709_171013.jpg

IMG_20200709_210612.jpg

IMG_20200709_210214.jpg

IMG-20200712-WA0003.jpg

^^^ - Oh man Canada. I wish things could have gone the way I wanted and I would be in Canada instead of Texas. Welp! My town's church had a summer camp and followed no SD / Masks - they have now bought the virus over to a few households. Parents who sent their kids to the camp have to quarantine them for 14 days. Its going to be a bad ride - hanging tight.

^^^ - Oh man Canada. I wish things could have gone the way I wanted and I would be in Canada instead of Texas. Welp! My town's church had a summer camp and followed no SD / Masks - they have now bought the virus over to a few households. Parents who sent their kids to the camp have to quarantine them for 14 days. Its going to be a bad ride - hanging tight.

Damn, that's unfortunate Kaps. Take care!

The same, just angrier and more jaded. I'd say the last month or two has aged me by a year or so in how burned out I am and how little I give af. I had projected I'd feel this way in 2 to 3 years, but I appear to have been wrong.

Was going to have a word with my boss this week, but asked around and found out hes yelled at a few staff, made them cry, and has now gone on vacation for a week or so. He is a workaholic and never has behaved this way before, so I will not add to his plate. He sees my time card and knows what is going on with my time allocation and I can bet he knows what I'm thinking. Biding my time.

Stocks are still fun, but took a bit of a drop and all for now.

That's awesome sm1ke!
I'm doing OK. Swinging between bouts of depression to wild optimism. Trying to give my young son some kind of a decent summer. It's hard. But I'm doing stuff. Going out. Being very safe about it. making the best of it and hoping there's an end in sight.

The same, just angrier and more jaded. I'd say the last month or two has aged me by a year or so in how burned out I am and how little I give af. I had projected I'd feel this way in 2 to 3 years, but I appear to have been wrong.

Was going to have a word with my boss this week, but asked around and found out hes yelled at a few staff, made them cry, and has now gone on vacation for a week or so. He is a workaholic and never has behaved this way before, so I will not add to his plate. He sees my time card and knows what is going on with my time allocation and I can bet he knows what I'm thinking. Biding my time.

That's terrible. I have a few colleagues who work in a separate department under different management, and their manager has done the same. It's actually caused a few people to quit. The last guy to quit was so fed up with the way she (manager) was treating him that he quit without even having a job offer or an interview lined up first, he just wanted out. This woman is toxic, and somehow she still has her job despite countless HR complaints filed against her. 🤷‍♂️

The pandemic and the stress that it causes definitely wears on us. Our mini vacation gave us a bit of a reset, so I'm thankful for that at least.

Sad I can't go to Canada this summer for our annual canoe trip this year. 😣 Might be skipping it altogether.

That's terrible. I have a few colleagues who work in a separate department under different management, and their manager has done the same. It's actually caused a few people to quit. The last guy to quit was so fed up with the way she (manager) was treating him that he quit without even having a job offer or an interview lined up first, he just wanted out. This woman is toxic, and somehow she still has her job despite countless HR complaints filed against her. 🤷‍♂️

The pandemic and the stress that it causes definitely wears on us. Our mini vacation gave us a bit of a reset, so I'm thankful for that at least.
My boss is excellent. Just under a lot of stress. I am not excusing it, but I am explaining it. If he yells at me (doubt), I'm not worried about it. Just let him calm down and proceed. I see him 1-2x a year though usually, and am honestly surprised he's this stressed, but I understand administration squeezing him on top, and us pushing against him, and theres nowhere for him to go, there. Hes doing all he can for us, and it's not enough and he knows it, but what can you do? Just a mess all around.

Whole thing has taken a year or two off my present career phase. I'll be leaving my current position hopefully in 1-2 years vs the 2-4 I had projected. Beyond burned out, tired of it. Have a lifetime of depression and PTSD from it probably anyways, but I am done. Getting out asap. Going to find me a nice desk to sit at away from the blood s*** and violence. Done.

Last edited:
This whole toxic work environment phenomenon seems to be spreading as much as the virus itself.
(I'm lucky in that I'm retired and on a guaranteed income, both from the government and my pensions.). Lots of stress out there, on many fronts.
My son was told in the early spring that his job would be secure, and 3 months later, he was told that the drug company he worked for was laying off 30% of their staff, with him being one of them.
So much for that. He knew something was up because hiss boss was behaving just like some of the people you guys have described above: edgy, stressed, irritable, nasty, etc.
He was actually glad in some ways that he got out. He already has a new job btw.
As for toxic workplaces, we (Canada) are in the middle of a scandal with our Governor Generals Office.
The Governor General is the official representative of the Queen, and although it is mostly a ceremonial position, it's still important in our parliamentary system.
There have been numerous reports from current and past employees about how toxic the workplace has become, and how our Governor General mistreats and verbally abuses her staff.
It has gotten so bad that the feds have launched an independent investigation into the situation.
If it's as bad as they say it is, she could be removed from her position.
She happens to be a former astronaut (flew two shuttle missions) and by all reports, it has gone to her head.
This seems to be the new normal in a lot of places.
Stay safe everyone

This whole toxic work environment phenomenon seems to be spreading as much as the virus itself.
(I'm lucky in that I'm retired and on a guaranteed income, both from the government and my pensions.). Lots of stress out there, on many fronts.
My son was told in the early spring that his job would be secure, and 3 months later, he was told that the drug company he worked for was laying off 30% of their staff, with him being one of them.
So much for that. He knew something was up because hiss boss was behaving just like some of the people you guys have described above: edgy, stressed, irritable, nasty, etc.
He was actually glad in some ways that he got out. He already has a new job btw.
As for toxic workplaces, we (Canada) are in the middle of a scandal with our Governor Generals Office.
The Governor General is the official representative of the Queen, and although it is mostly a ceremonial position, it's still important in our parliamentary system.
There have been numerous reports from current and past employees about how toxic the workplace has become, and how our Governor General mistreats and verbally abuses her staff.
It has gotten so bad that the feds have launched an independent investigation into the situation.
If it's as bad as they say it is, she could be removed from her position.
She happens to be a former astronaut (flew two shuttle missions) and by all reports, it has gone to her head.
This seems to be the new normal in a lot of places.
Stay safe everyone
I honestly don't care about people being edgy. That's fine. I get it. Me, too. My entire career is toxic, and I get that. We're some sick, messed up individuals, and that's just the way it goes in my field.

Last edited:
Back