2017~2024 How to turn headlights off?

Jessiemoss

:
Cx5 gt
Last night I went to a xmas lights show drive through, everyone had to turn off their headlights while driving around but I couldn't figure it out at all - got the, to turn off when I was stopped but as soon as I drove they came back on, is this a safety feature that I can override?
2017 cx5 gt awd

Yep it’s kind of embarrassing, wasn’t it? ;) For some very strange reason Mazda has decided to include the LED headlights as part of DRL setup on your 2017 CX-5 for North American market. You simply can’t turn your headlights off as long as your vehicle is moving.

I suggest you to call Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations telling your experience from last night. Express your opinion that Mazda should never include the LED headlights as part of DRL setup, and they don’t do that in many other countries!

Yep its kind of embarrassing, wasnt it? ;) For some very strange reason Mazda has decided to include the LED headlights as part of DRL setup on your 2017 CX-5 for North American market. You simply cant turn your headlights off as long as your vehicle is moving.

I suggest you to call Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations telling your experience from last night. Express your opinion that Mazda should never include the LED headlights as part of DRL setup, and they dont do that in many other countries!

Thanks for your help!! 😬

Yea, really enjoying the off and parking light only modes after disabling the DRLs. Off should mean off. I mean, what if I need to duck into a driveway to lose a tail or do a super duper blind attack in a duel? I'd be screwed that's what =)

try pulling your e brake up just enough to engage the warning, but not actually lock the rear tire.

That used to work in my old Subaru; you could turn off the DRL by pulling the handbrake up just a tad.

Now, with the electronic e-brake, I'm very conscious of not pulling it when on the move. Surely, manufacturers are smart enough not to allow the electronic e-brake to fully engage when going say 70mph, right? Right??

That used to work in my old Subaru; you could turn off the DRL by pulling the handbrake up just a tad.

Now, with the electronic e-brake, I'm very conscious of not pulling it when on the move. Surely, manufacturers are smart enough not to allow the electronic e-brake to fully engage when going say 70mph, right? Right??

And how do you propose that it meets the legal requirements of a secondary brake? If you pull and hold the parking brake it will most certainly apply but it works in conjunction with the ABS.

I'm just joking but I was hoping you wouldn't say that. It's just that with a manual brake you have some control over the force of the braking but with an on/off e-brake i'm guessing it just applies it quickly and fully. That's something I'd rather not have to use at speed unless it's really needed.

Oh BTW, how do you like the diesel version of the CX-5?

I didn't know the parking brake worked with the ABS.
What I found out when I first bought my 2015 car was not to put the HB on before fully coming to a halt, it applies full force unlike the old mechanical brake which you could apply partially.

From that I did wonder what would happen if I did or could apply the EHB at speed.

And how do you propose that it meets the legal requirements of a secondary brake? If you pull and hold the parking brake it will most certainly apply but it works in conjunction with the ABS.

Yes, I tested this going perhaps 5 mph and it bought the car to a very sudden stop -- since then I've always been conscious of what would happen if it engaged with the same effect at higher speeds.

Overall, I'm neutral on the electronic e-brake... it definitely saves space and looks good, but has its drawbacks as well I think (another electronic failure point, cannot be applied partially).

We now have electronic parking brakes, it'll only fully lock the brakes when engaged.

Right, I forgot about that. I have a 2015 model.

I forgot that u have an electronic e brake. I advise never to pull that when moving...

I tried pulling the electronic e brake on my BMW once while crawling to a halt in front of a red light. It does NOT work with the ABS.

From that I did wonder what would happen if I did or could apply the EHB at speed.

The tires will lock and youll probably lose control. Dont try it.

With all these considerations, I'd think it would make sense for the e-brake to apply itself gradually if the car knew it were going fairly quickly. Sure, some extra programming would be involved but I feel this would be helpful.

Maybe I'll wait until it snows and I have a big parking lot to give the electronic brake a whirl at speed.

The problem with a parking brake is that it has to meet a variety of functions in different locations. First and foremost its has to be capable of holding the vehicle on a 12% slope. There have been many incidents globally where people have been hurt or killed by parked vehicles running away so forthcoming legislation will see EPBs across the board and that way even Miss Daisy can securely park any car and its maximum load on at least a 12% slope.

A parking brake must hold without any stored energy so it cant used fluid or air pressure and in this case, once applied by motor it cant rely on battery voltage and needs the motor to drive it back off.

Next, the car must be equipped with some form of emergency braking. The reluctance above to applying it at speed might not be so much of even a second thought if the footbrake failed at speed. In a hypothetical situation this might be that the pedal itself broke but more likely to be the result of a poor repair. You wouldnt want it applying gradually if you were heading for a line of school kids or a cliff top, you would want it on. You have to hold the button on for two seconds to tell the system what you really want to do and then at least on the new CX-5, you have access to all the other systems like ABS and weight sensing to assist in getting the maximum deceleration available from the rear brakes. This will be at least 12% of one g provided there is enough weight over the back of the car and there is enough adhesion between the tyres and the road. See emergency braking in the attached pdf. Its summarised at the top and in detail lower down. If you want to test it, go on a quiet road, get it up to 20 or 30mph and make sure nobody is behind you. You wont do any harm whatsoever.

Weird tangent. I actually was wondering about it 2 nights ago and tried pulling the brake while moving (about 30mph) and nothing happened, light blinked a few times. I figured that if I left it pulled it would engage but didn't feel like trying it out that day.

Back