How to Protect Car Paint?

:
Mazda
Hey guys,

Hope you all are doing well. Two nights ago, in the work parking lot, some driver scraped both my driver's side door and left the scene. It was dark and I didn't notice until the following morning. I scrubbed most of it the melted plastic off with some paint thinner and there are still minor marks on the rear door and black plastic cladding. What products do you guys recommend the protect and preserve the paint at this point so it doesn't worsen in the future? Thank you.

You used paint thinner on your paint??

In the future, I would recommend using a clay bar with adequate lubrication to remove excess paint marks from other vehicles. Then polish any scratches out, and finish with a coat of paint sealant, wax, or ceramic/graphene coating for protection. Personally I use Blackfire One Step, which is an all-in-one polish and wax. Works for micromarring, but for any serious scratches, you'll probably want something more aggressive. If you can post a picture of the damage, that would help with getting better recommendations for products to use.

Sorry to hear that. It is so irritating that people do that and just take off, leaving you with the damage.
I always try my best to park in situations that I think are safe, but it still happens eventually to every vehicle I have ever owned. It is so maddening.
So far I've been able to avoid parking lot dings and scratches on my 2017.
I think four years with no damage is my new record. Fingers crossed.

PXL_20210924_141943653.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210924_141929175.jpg
    PXL_20210924_141929175.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 165
  • PXL_20210924_141914650.jpg
    PXL_20210924_141914650.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 169
  • PXL_20210924_141846937.jpg
    PXL_20210924_141846937.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 182
  • PXL_20210923_025716085.jpg
    PXL_20210923_025716085.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 186
Here are the photos before and after cleaning. I appreciate everyone's input and advice. Sorry if they're poor due to the reflection in the background

Looks like you did a pretty good job on the paint! All you need to do now is use a mild polish like Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, and buff those scratches out with a polishing pad by hand (or if you have a polisher, or a friend you can borrow one from, use that - it'll make polishing the scratches out much faster and easier). I would try 2 or 3 passes with the polish, then wipe clean and see if you need to polish any more.

Once the scratches are gone, apply a wax, sealant, or coating, and you're done! Avoid getting the coating on the black trim, it will leave a white residue than can be hard to remove.

As far as the black trim, unfortunately those scratches are there to stay. You can try to hide them using linseed oil, or a trim product like Mothers Back to Black. Or you can just buy a new trim piece and replace it.

The majority of them work more or less the same. For easily accessible, over the counter products, you can try Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, or NuFinish. Both of those are wipe on, wait to dry, buff off products. If you want something really easy to apply, you can try Turtle Wax Ice Seal n' Shine, or Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating. You can basically wash your car, then spray a panel down and wipe/buff it dry. Move on to the next panel and repeat. If you normally hand dry your cars after washing them, I'd suggest the spray wax/coatings. It only adds one more step to your wash process, and will keep your paint protected because you're reapplying the protection every time you use the spray. If you use these products, I'd recommend only washing/drying your car in the shade, so you can keep the paint surface cool. When its hot, the product dries faster, and it can leave spots/streaks if you aren't fast enough.

Something to note though - none of these products will actually protect your paint from scuffs and fender benders like you experienced. The only thing that would help is paint protection film.

I like Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. It is easy to apply and there is no white residue should you get it in the black plastic trim.

Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover has been my go-to product over the years for removing the other guy's paint from my cars.

I appreciate everyone for their suggestions. I was able to remove all the scuff marks from the both door panels using the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, Turtle Wax Ice Seal n' Shine Hybrid Sealant and some microfiber pads. It's as good as new with a few minor dents (visible at certain angles) and some chipped paint pits on the door. Will post photos when I have an opportunity. Thanks all!

I appreciate everyone for their suggestions. I was able to remove all the scuff marks from the both door panels using the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, Turtle Wax Ice Seal n' Shine Hybrid Sealant and some microfiber pads. It's as good as new with a few minor dents (visible at certain angles) and some chipped paint pits on the door. Will post photos when I have an opportunity. Thanks all!
Were you able to fix the cladding? If it's just paint transfer it should come off but if it's scratched then your best bet is to replace the cladding. Dealer parts dept has/can get it. It was less than $100
last time I checked.

Yes, I was able to run off the paint on the cladding. Here's what it currently looks like and I'm just grateful it wasn't too serious. I truly appreciate everyone's concerns, suggestions and recommendations!

Attachments

• PXL_20211004_005434714.jpg
    PXL_20211004_005434714.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20211004_005438261.jpg
    PXL_20211004_005438261.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20211004_005442842.jpg
    PXL_20211004_005442842.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 86
Yes, I was able to run off the paint on the cladding. Here's what it currently looks like and I'm just grateful it wasn't too serious. I truly appreciate everyone's concerns, suggestions and recommendations!
Nice job. As far as the dents go find a good PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) guy and let him fix the dents. You would not believe what a good one can do.

Back