How to move my Protege with a pooched transmission?

BobbleCat

:
2002 Pro5 Midnight Blue
My transmission is stuck in fourth, meaning no reverse or nuetral.. I have a transmission waiting to be put in but I need to turn it around 180 so I can tow it to my friends garage, can't drive and turn it around as my laneway is really tight - and because of that I can't get a tow truck in front. Any ideas would be really aprecieated!

Try removing the spark plugs, so you can move the car without the engine's compression working against you. Then either get a friend or two to help you do a 3-point u-turn where the car sits, or tow it to a wider road so you can get the tow truck in front of the car. (BTW, since the transmission is already dead, you don't have to worry about damaging it by towing the car a short distance with the front wheels on the ground.)

Jack up the front end if you can and turn it with that. That'll make it an easy u-turn. If nothing else, try to jack up the car and put the front wheels on plastic trays or something.

Tow trucks should have something to turn it around with, but some might charge you extra for using it.

Try removing the spark plugs, so you can move the car without the engine's compression working against you. Then either get a friend or two to help you do a 3-point u-turn where the car sits, or tow it to a wider road so you can get the tow truck in front of the car. (BTW, since the transmission is already dead, you don't have to worry about damaging it by towing the car a short distance with the front wheels on the ground.)

Great tip, I'm worried about the axles more, can they be damaged? Thanks!

Jack up the front end if you can and turn it with that. That'll make it an easy u-turn. If nothing else, try to jack up the car and put the front wheels on plastic trays or something.

Tow trucks should have something to turn it around with, but some might charge you extra for using it.

I thought about trays, but my lane way is gravel so I'm thinking the wheels may have a hard time moving around, but I supposed I could put some plywood under and behind the car! Thanks!

Get one person to sit in the car and push the clutch in and another person or 2 to push it into the road and have the tow truck pick it up in the middle of the road. Assuming it's not a busy road anyway

Get one person to sit in the car and push the clutch in and another person or 2 to push it into the road and have the tow truck pick it up in the middle of the road. Assuming it's not a busy road anyway

^ What he said. Remember, the engine would be spinning backwards, so the oil pump would be useless. The axles should be fine.

Tweety2300 I was agreeing with your statement, and reminding the OP that the oil pump would be running backwards, and would therefore not be pumping oil to the parts of the engine that required lubrication, but would instead be blowing bubbles back into the oil pan. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Back