Fair Price for a 2003 Protege5?

I've had a P5 (dark blue, manual trans) for 5 years and love it. Only car I've ever had, as I am a bike guy mainly. Bought it from the original owner at around 100k miles and now it's up to 120k.

If I were living my best suburban life I'd keep it in the driveway and use it til they ban gasoline. Due to my city's draconian parking rules (and my girlfriend not wanting to drive stick for some reason 😑), I'm considering selling it. It needs new brakes, and possibly a new VICS solenoid (thanks to this forum for helping me track that down). The mileage seems generally lower than what's on the market. Body has a fair amount of scratches and the bumpers have some dents from years of city driving. If I were to keep it I'd also get a new windshield as the current one is streaked. Never had any weird engine noises or transmission issues, only remember smelling the clutch burn once, before I'd internalized what the handbrake was for.

What's a fair price for this car? Also open to being convinced to keep it & turn it into something for cruising the fire roads (idk if that's a good idea, but a man can dream. The longest I've stared at a car recently was at a lifted 1983 VW Rabbit with dirt tires 😍). Would probably need to have the P5 in storage for 2-3 years until I move into a slightly larger shoebox, with parking.

Under normal circumstances, a 20 year old economy car would be nearly worthless. However, these are strange times indeed. I'm thinking you could legit get as much as $4000 for that because of the low mileage for a car that age.

Under normal circumstances, a 20 year old economy car would be nearly worthless. However, these are strange times indeed. I'm thinking you could legit get as much as $4000 for that because of the low mileage for a car that age.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm thinking $4K without even seeing a picture. If you clean it up really well on the inside and there are no rips/tears/stains, I think you could maybe get higher. The P5's pulling $2K have major body/bumper damage or broken tail lights and crumpled unibody.

Back