How To: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

GOTZOOM?

Fast Shiftin' MoFo
:
Turbo P5
HOW-TO: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

The fuel pump you need is a 94-97 Miata Walbro 255 LPH HP. P/N GSS342

One of these is the stock Miata pump, and the other is the stock Protege pump.
Protege 023.jpg

Step One: Remove Gas Cap. Flip drivers side rear seat forward.
Protege 028.jpg

Step Two: Lift flap and remove 4 cover screws.
Protege 029.jpg

Step Three: Unplug the two plugs.
Protege 030.jpg

Step Four: You will need to remove this plug that I am holding from its holder that I am pointing to.
Protege 031.jpg

Step Five: Now remove the Fuel Lines. This is tricky. Just use a small flat tip screw driver to lift each side of the green clip over the lip on the line.
Protege 032.jpg

Last edited:
Step Six: Now remove the 8 screws that hold the unit on the fuel tank. IMPORTANT: Make sure you use a very good #2 screw driver on these screws. They are very tight and soft, and if you are not careful, you will strip them Pull the unit up and out, but not all the way, make sure the screen drains before tracking it across your interior.
Protege 033.jpg

Step Seven: Unplug the fuel pump! If you dont, you will rip the wires out of the plug. Trust me, it will happen. Now that it is unplugged, remove the white clip and pull the fuel pump out. It will be a little tight getting it out, just pull on it.

Step Eight: Either transfer the the screen to the new pump, or if you bought a new one, put it on the new pump. Do not use the one that comes with the walbro. It mounts in the wrong direction and will not pick up fuel. Remove the rubber sleeve off the old pump if it came out of the hole, and the white spacer and put them on the new pump. If the rubber sleeve isn't on the old pump, make sure it is still up in the fuel line. You dont have to take it out, as long as it is up in there your fine. Its what seal the nipple on the fuel pump going up into the fuel line.

Step Nine: Put the new pump back into the holder and plug it in.

Step Ten: Cut the bottom off of the white clip holder so that you have two clips for each side. I used a Dremel with a cutting disk.
In the picture is the peice you are cutting off.
Protege 034.jpg

Step Eleven: Put the two clips on and weave a zip tie thru them and around the fuel pump as in the picture. You may have to study these pictures to get it right. If its not done this way, the pump may come loose and fall into the tank while driving, and that wouldn't be good at all. Make sure to take a pair of pliers to pull the zip tie as tight as possible.
Protege 020.jpg

Protege 021.jpg

Protege 022.jpg

Step Twelve: Make sure Fuel Pump is plugged in and reinstall everything. Happy Motoring.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, the site that host my pics turned them off for the rest of the day because I went over my bandwidth for the day. Bad Boy...BAD BOY! Check back again later and the pics should work.

Stupid villiage photo cancelled my account because I was directly linking to download videos. Who do you guys suggest for picture hosting?

yeah yahoo....cause i took mine apart but i dont know how to put new one in.....or just upload to the forum...

Last edited:
I've tried to upload them here, doesnt seem to work, unless I am doing something wrong. Maybe I will try Yahoo.

[

Last edited:
I'm working on it brother. Hang tight. I am using datazap, so I got to get used to it.

Last edited:
Ok, I finally broke down and decided to purchase some space. I post a lot of pics anyway. Datazap aint worth a s*** by the way, it only gives you 1MB. So I am using this other place, its easy to use. Please let me know if you guys can see the pics just to be sure.

Back