How To: 1st Grounding Kit for MSP

make one... if ur really interested in making it urself, PM me. it will come out to about $65 or so and be just as good or better than anything else.

newFormula said:
anyone know a dealer who sells a grounding kit for the msp?

I`ve gotten a couple PMs, which is a good thing, about making a grounding kit. If no one minds I`ll post a little help heer...
Ok, I used a combination of two company`s stuff. If you wanna shell out the money for ALL Monster stuff, that`s coo, but this wire: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Kolossus Kable is just as good. You want the Kolossus Kable, not eKo kable. The Kolossus Kable is tinned oxygen free copper, not just oxygen free copper. It is either not going to or MUCH less likely to rust or do anything funky. I also used: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Battery Terminals knu`s battery terminals. THEN, I went to Monster: http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3040&section=power for the ring terminals (3/8 stud). Thees are the best ring terminals. I ordered 16 feet or so of the kable and I think 22 ring terminals total (11 packages). You`ll definitely want the larger stud size (3/8) because I even had to take a dremel to make one a little bigger. I did have some extra wire and terminals though. The terminals are usually sold in pairs, so pay attention when you`re ordering. Make sure you have a way to get a good crimp if you`re going 4 gauge or larger, I went 8. Also, you`ll need a good hair dryer or paint stripper for the heat shrink provided with the terminals. Any Qs? PM me...

Last edited:
protegeric said:
I`ve gotten a couple PMs, which is a good thing, about making a grounding kit. If no one minds I`ll post a little help heer...
Ok, I used a combination of two company`s stuff. If you wanna shell out the money for ALL Monster stuff, that`s coo, but this wire: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Kolossus Kable is just as good. You want the Kolossus Kable, not eKo kable. The Kolossus Kable is tinned oxygen free copper, not just oxygen free copper. It is either not going to or MUCH less likely to rust or do anything funky. I also used: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Battery Terminals knu`s battery terminals. THEN, I went to Monster: http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3040&section=power for the ring terminals (3/8 stud). Thees are the best ring terminals. I ordered 16 feet or so of the kable and I think 22 ring terminals total (11 packages). You`ll definitely want the larger stud size (3/8) because I even had to take a dremel to make one a little bigger. I did have some extra wire and terminals though. The terminals are usually sold in pairs, so pay attention when you`re ordering. Make sure you have a way to get a good crimp if you`re going 4 gauge or larger, I went 8. Also, you`ll need a good hair dryer or paint stripper for the heat shrink provided with the terminals. Any Qs? PM me...

good stuff. had to redo my grounds cause the wire i used was like copper pipe. got the terminals and went ahead and got the dist block and all that. if NE1 wants to do this yourself the walkthrough is straight forward and if you need something like this it's a good idea to take a look at your engine every now and then. losen and tighten a few bolts.

I used a steel pipe about a quarter of the size in the walkthrough and was able to get that bolt off just fine.

glad I could help a little. But, you can use just a (big) wrench with a box end. Kind of like a cheater. There`s no real need for a big long pole. But, glad to hear it, the walkthrough really is pretty good.

neoturner said:
good stuff. had to redo my grounds cause the wire i used was like copper pipe. got the terminals and went ahead and got the dist block and all that. if NE1 wants to do this yourself the walkthrough is straight forward and if you need something like this it's a good idea to take a look at your engine every now and then. losen and tighten a few bolts.

I used a steel pipe about a quarter of the size in the walkthrough and was able to get that bolt off just fine.

mazdaspeed777 said:
subbin to do this mod later
I just did this on my P5 so I wanted to let you know that wire number 7 & 8 are gonna connect to a different location. The P5 has a different grounding point for the negative wire, and doesn't even have the little metal bracket shown on Panzozo's MSP. It's in the same area as the MSP's grounding point, but doesn't bolt up to a bracket, so there's no need for the longer bolt or the metric nut. I'll take a pic later on to show you what I'm talking about .. but other than that everything is the same!

thanks!

KrayzieFox said:
I just did this on my P5 so I wanted to let you know that wire number 7 & 8 are gonna connect to a different location. The P5 has a different grounding point for the negative wire, and doesn't even have the little metal bracket shown on Panzozo's MSP. It's in the same area as the MSP's grounding point, but doesn't bolt up to a bracket, so there's no need for the longer bolt or the metric nut. I'll take a pic later on to show you what I'm talking about .. but other than that everything is the same!

KrayzieFox said:

Thanks, I will be doing this in a week or so. So thanks for the heads up. Any pics would be much appreciated.

mazdaspeed777 said:
Does anyone else have any tips for installing this on a P5??
I volunteer!!! (cabpatch)

Ok, the only difference between the MSP and the P5 is the stock negative grounding point. On the MSP it was show on this pic:
eighth_bolt.jpg

On the P5, it's directly below the throttle body, almost by the EGR .. so just a little further back than the MSP. The little black plastic you see on the bottom right corner of this pic is the battery tray, so that should help you with figuring out where I'm pointing the camera to. I couldn't squeeze the camera back there for a good pic, but hopefully this gives you a rough idea on where it's at:
ea66e66e.jpg

So besides that grounding point, everything else is the same. Oh, and the P5 also only has one wire going to the positive battery terminal after you replace the stock ground wire, so you won't have two wires left but just one. Good luck man, feel free to PM me if you need help with anything.

One last thing, for those who are interested in making their own kit .. I'll try to make life a little bit easier for you.

Here are the items you will need to buy:

1. 14-16 feet of 4 gauge power wire
If you want yellow, discountcarstereo is the ONLY website that still carries it, and you better hurry if you want it cuz Stinger discontinued it.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=284

2. 20 gold (24K) plated ring terminals
If possible, do NOT buy Stinger terminals cuz they're a pain in the ass! The rings aren't wide enough for a lot of the bolts (12 mm, 14mm, 17mm) so I had to dremel mine to widen them. Not a big deal .. but kind of a pain in the end.

3. Postive/Negative 200-series Monster battery terminals
Look on eBay, you can pick up both for $20 or so.

Here are the measurements of each wire as well, so you know how much to cut for each one:
1st wire: 18 inches
2nd wire: 14 inches
3rd wire: 11 inches
4th wire: 14 inches
5th wire: 18 inches
6th wire: 16 inches
7th wire: 18 inches
8th wire: 24 inches
9th wire: 11 inches
10th wire: 14 inches

ea66e645.jpg

As always .. PM with questions and good luck with the install.

Last edited:
guys i have a better idea
instead of having one color for the whole set up
can someone get the Ft that are used for + and for ( - and grounding )
i'd like to use two color set up: red for + and black for ( - and grounding )
but pls make the right measurements
thnx

Last edited:
KrayzieFox said:
One last thing, for those who are interested in making their own kit .. I'll try to make life a little bit easier for you.

Here are the items you will need to buy:

1. 14-16 feet of 4 gauge power wire
If you want yellow, discountcarstereo is the ONLY website that still carries it, and you better hurry if you want it cuz Stringer discontinued it.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=284

2. 20 gold (24K) plated ring terminals
If possible, do NOT buy Stringer terminals cuz they're a pain in the ass! The rings aren't wide enough for a lot of the bolts (12 mm, 14mm, 17mm) so I had to dremel mine to widen them. Not a big deal .. but kind of a pain in the end.

3. Postive/Negative 200-series Monster battery terminals
Look on eBay, you can pick up both for $20 or so.

Here are the measurements of each wire as well, so you know how much to cut for each one:
1st wire: 18 inches
2nd wire: 14 inches
3rd wire: 11 inches
4th wire: 14 inches
5th wire: 18 inches
6th wire: 16 inches
7th wire: 18 inches
8th wire: 24 inches
9th wire: 11 inches
10th wire: 14 inches

The wires should roughly look like this, 1-10 from outside to inside / right to left (switch 3 & 4 and 4 & 5 should be longer .. I messed up so learn from my mistakes).
ea66e645.jpg

As always .. PM with questions and good luck with the install.

Wow! (nana) (breakn) Thanks for all the help on the P5 install. That helps me a ton! Props for helping to make this forum such a helpfull sight. God bless!

Speed3.5 said:
i found this

Taylor - Grounding Kits - Taylor Universal For Under Hood Mounted Battery With 2 Gauge Wire

under 80$ shipped , will this be as good as 4 gauge wire set up ??

#2 thats a large wire?

bazooka joe said:
#2 thats a large wire?

don't mind that msg , i checked with the web that sells it and its not worth , it comes as two short wires anyways

but yeah i think it is larger than #4

Speed3.5 said:
guys i have a better idea
instead of having one color for the whole set up
can someone get the Ft that are used for + and for ( - and grounding )
i'd like to use two color set up: red for + and black for ( - and grounding )
but pls make the right measurements
thnx
I'd gladly do that for you, but I'm not quite sure what you consider + and - grounding wires. If you can let me know which wires are which type then I'll gladly take the measurements for you.

alright i just ordered hopefully everything i needed to peice together my own kit... hopefully everything gets here by friday so i can install it at an install party mocc is having this saturday...

Back