How long do OEM tires last?

Lenosrep, Let us know how you like them after you get some miles on the P7s.

I'm nearly 3 months into a 3 year lease. These 19" Toyo tires will still be on the vehicle when the lease is up. I'm limited to 12k miles/yr.

I'm at 30k miles. It'll be one last winter for the stock 19" Toyos and then tire shopping in the Spring.

An Update...

After determining that the new set was slightly out of balance, I brought them back to Tire Kingdom where they did a rebalance and found that a weight was thrown. The transmission of road imperfections that I mentioned below has been solved.

I'm about a week into my experience with the new Pirelli tires, and so far, so good. I do notice less road noise, especially on newly paved surfaces. Handling is great, but I don't have enough experience with wet surfaces and gas mileage to report on those attributes.

The tires so seem to be a bit stiffer, in that there is a slight increase in road imperfections being transmitted to the cabin and through the steering column, but it all remains within reason. I'll keep everyone updated in the months to come.

9,500 Miles and Too Much Wear on Geolanders

Hi all

As the title I have 17 inch wheels and OEM Geolanders. I check the pressures every 2 weeks which according to the label inside the door is 33 pounds per inch unloaded. I've just measured the treadware and all 4 tyres are down to 2mm on the very outside and inner edge and 6mm in the middle two thirds of the tyres. This would appear to be too low a pressure although I have stuck with what Mazda says. When the luggage compartment is not loaded up when we go on holiday there is only one person or two if my wife is a passenger. What pressure do other forum members use?

I can imagine any higher and the ride would get very bouncy? It is the 2.2L 2 wheel drive diesel automatic by the way.

Cheers

Jonno21

I run 44 psi in my FWD, 2.0 liter, manual. I'm not sure the actual tread depth left on mine, but the center is only slightly worse than the outside tread. I also have 63,500 miles on the tires.

I run 44 psi in my FWD, 2.0 liter, manual. I'm not sure the actual tread depth left on mine, but the center is only slightly worse than the outside tread. I also have 63,500 miles on the tires.[/QUOTE]...and why would you do that, pray ell?

^ I will speculate as to why somebody would run 44 psi in CX-5 tires. The goal might be long tire wear, and 63.5K miles is impressive long wear for standard Yokos. And hypermiling fuel efficiency too.

But overly inflated tires to that degree cause substandard ride comfort and handling and braking, not advised.

Regarding OP's question (how long to OEM tires last?), the 19" Toyos on my CX-5 at 30K miles when I sold it were nearly 1/2 worn.

Good mpg, only slightly worse ride; Most likely comparable to OEM 19" size. Handling actually feels better than when running the recommended psi. Can't comment on braking as I've never had to slam on my brakes. Regular braking has not been affected at all though.

I run 44 psi in my FWD, 2.0 liter, manual. I'm not sure the actual tread depth left on mine, but the center is only slightly worse than the outside tread. I also have 63,500 miles on the tires.[/QUOTE]...and why would you do that, pray ell?

Well just measured the tread depth on my OEM tires. Couple tires are at 1/32" in the center and the inside edge, and 2/32" and the outside edge. The other two tires are about 2/32" all the way across. I've rotated them once is all in nearly 64K miles.

Well just measured the tread depth on my OEM tires. Couple tires are at 1/32" in the center and the inside edge, and 2/32" and the outside edge. The other two tires are about 2/32" all the way across. I've rotated them once is all in nearly 64K miles.

Impressive!

My tires came from the dealer at 44psi. I adjusted down to 36psi factory specs. This definitely raises my concern for any warranty work. I plan to do most basic maintenance myself.

^ I will speculate as to why somebody would run 44 psi in CX-5 tires. The goal might be long tire wear, and 63.5K miles is impressive long wear for standard Yokos. And hypermiling fuel efficiency too.

But overly inflated tires to that degree cause substandard ride comfort and handling and braking, not advised.

Regarding OP's question (how long to OEM tires last?), the 19" Toyos on my CX-5 at 30K miles when I sold it were nearly 1/2 worn.

I've had mine at 35psi cold and at 12 months I had 3100 miles, old retired dude here-lol. I haven't been here (Mazda247) for 8 months but plan to change out the 17s for 22s next year, nothing fancy like HRE, just some pimped triple chrome wheels. Other plans include rear sway bar, a front spoiler and paint all the black plastic to match the body color. Good to check in but not much has happened so I will check back next year when I get the wheels. Chris_Top_Her is trying to make something out of his ride but there isn't much activity at any company's R&D from what I see. Wondering if anyone has tried a shot of NOS or other power adders. The CX-5 is a good looking and peppy Sport-Ute, I hope the diesel will bring more customers and general interest like the MS3.

45,000 on the Yokohama 691 I think. Replacing this week.

Just replaced my stock Yokohamas with Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds at 40k miles. I'm amazed how much quieter the CX5 is - especially on smooth pavement! Even w/ alignment check, balance, etc., I always had a loud 'whirring' sound with the stock tires. Guess I should have checked Tirerack reviews sooner - lots of neg reviews for the Yokohama tires. Would have swapped earlier, but couldn't bear the thought of ditching tires with usable tred....
-Martin

My tires came from the dealer at 44psi. I adjusted down to 36psi factory specs. This definitely raises my concern for any warranty work. I plan to do most basic maintenance myself.

That's funny---mine came from the dealer also at 42-44psi.....are they trying to make a good first impression re: mileage?

Hi all

As the title I have 17 inch wheels and OEM Geolanders. I check the pressures every 2 weeks which according to the label inside the door is 33 pounds per inch unloaded. I've just measured the treadware and all 4 tyres are down to 2mm on the very outside and inner edge and 6mm in the middle two thirds of the tyres. This would appear to be too low a pressure although I have stuck with what Mazda says. When the luggage compartment is not loaded up when we go on holiday there is only one person or two if my wife is a passenger. What pressure do other forum members use?

I can imagine any higher and the ride would get very bouncy? It is the 2.2L 2 wheel drive diesel automatic by the way.

Cheers

Jonno21

I always use the higher - full load pressures even though only 1 or 2 people in the car and no luggage in the boot. This firms up the softer ride on the 17's you get compared to the 19's.

the ride does not get bouncy. :)

Back