how is msp caliper piston compressed?

attachment.php

caliper compressing bit.jpg

is this attachment fit on the msp rear caliper piston?

do you turn counterclockwise to screw the piston in?

No idea if that would fit, I think its clockwise.. haven't done it in a while.

yep turns back in clockwise. if i remember corrctly the rear pistons have 2 little tabs by which a special brake compressor similar to the picture u showed screws the rear pistons back in.

the e-brake spring can be shifted out if the caliper piston wont screw back in. it should move like a 1/4 in. thats how mine were

i did my breaks first time recently to make sure that when you screw it in that the 2 small tabs are STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN other wise the caliper bracket won't go back in smooth at least that was my case. and yea lol i wish it was like honda's these are a pain this is one thing about mazda i do not like why the hell did they make such a retared break system. f a honda zoom zoom forever

i did my breaks first time recently to make sure that when you screw it in that the 2 small tabs are STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN other wise the caliper bracket won't go back in smooth at least that was my case. and yea lol i wish it was like honda's these are a pain this is one thing about mazda i do not like why the hell did they make such a retared break system. f a honda zoom zoom forever

To be fair im pretty sure its a ford design.

There is a plug on the back of the caliper that you have to take off and back the screw out inside it. Otherwise the piston will NOT compress.

when i did the brakes there was no screw in the caliper, in order to screw it down i had to grab the ebrake spring on the caliper and pull out. after that they went in easy, ive never seen this on any other car and it took me an hour to figure it out lol

There is a plug on the back of the caliper that you have to take off and back the screw out inside it. Otherwise the piston will NOT compress.

NO...sorry, this information confuses everyone searching later on...

the REGULAR proteges share this design...there is a set screw in the back of the caliper that is used to retract the piston for a pad change...the MSP rear calipers DO NOT have this...

As mentioned...you just need a brake tool that is a little metal disc that turns the piston, and most parts stores carry these for less than $5...I bought one at Napa years ago, and is a has a 3/8" drive in the center...if looking to buy one, you need one that is not much bigger than a quarter, which is usually the smallest they carry (they get MUCH bigger, and a big one will not work)...i've gotten away with just using some small snub pliers and pushing while turning, but its definitely not the most comfortable way to do it...the right tool has it retracted in seconds...

also, not sure what company originally developed this...but its very common on single piston slide caliper designs...and is FAR superior in reliability, simplicity, and sealing than the set screw setup in the back...

lastly, also as mentioned...make sure the cut outs in the caliper piston are straight up and down...the pads have little notches on them, without lining those up the piston won't sit properly on the inner pad...it will only take about a turn and a half to fully retract it, after that it will just spin freely and not retract any more...its really not that big of a deal...

Back