How 'bout them windshields...

So I had to come share my windshield scare. Today I was on a busy road, doing maybe 55 when a truck kicked up about a handful of pebbles. Since I had already read this I was sure it was going to be cracked. All the pebbles hit between the mirror and the passengers side. No cracks or dings.

Just got a call from Safelite, who bought my original glass servicing company. They just said the windshield for my Mazda 6 will be in next week...sigh...but everything seems straightened out now. Next chapter to come a week from now.

So I had to come share my windshield scare. Today I was on a busy road, doing maybe 55 when a truck kicked up about a handful of pebbles. Since I had already read this I was sure it was going to be cracked. All the pebbles hit between the mirror and the passengers side. No cracks or dings.

I took a nasty hit on the way home last week. The rock was large enough I could see it coming and it hit about an inch from the side of the windshield. Made a really loud noise when it hit and left a small pit in the surface of the glass but no crack or chip to actually repair.

Safelite did its thing yesterday, and all is well, or looks good anyway, using a Mazda replacement glass. They called and we set up an appointment almost right away. I guess no one wanted to get their windshield repaired with the heat index approaching 110 yesterday afternoon. My wife said the place was empty.

I cannot tell if the rain sensor or SCBS works, no rain in sight and hopefully we never use the SCBS! No car washing for three days, they say.

Safelite did its thing yesterday, and all is well, or looks good anyway, using a Mazda replacement glass. They called and we set up an appointment almost right away. I guess no one wanted to get their windshield repaired with the heat index approaching 110 yesterday afternoon. My wife said the place was empty.

I cannot tell if the rain sensor or SCBS works, no rain in sight and hopefully we never use the SCBS! No car washing for three days, they say.

You can test the rain sensor by just placing your hand or other object over the sensor while the car is on.

I ordered my replacement windshield at the end of June and Safelite has no updates or idea on when the new windshield will come in. In the meantime the original crack on my windshield spiraled to a J shape and then it cracked in between the J shape and went straight up the windshield. So now the crack looks like something a child would doodle. I'll try to get an updated picture tomorrow. This oppressive heat probably is not helping either.

Add my car to the list. Little tiny chip at the bottom of the glass, sat in the sun for about one hour. Now have three 10 inch long cracks coming up the glass.

Last edited:
Add my car to the list. Little tiny chip at the bottom of the glass, sat in the sun for about one hour. Now have three 10 inch long cracks coming up the glass.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get you a replacement. They gave me a month estimate, and it arrived about 3.5 weeks later. Although in the ensuing time period we had over 200 people on the wait list nationally, the local Mazda service prediction was once they get a lot of windshields in, every one will be taken care of plus they will have adequate spares, a not too uncommon situation with a relatively new vehicle...We used a company whose operations were taken over in the ensuing three weeks wait by Safelite and Safelite did a wonderful job.

Yesterday I crossed paths with a dump truck and trailer carrying rocks. A loud whack on my windshield had me wide awake (we were going 60 mph in opposite directions) but was relieved to see no damage. I couldn't even find a chip from the impact when I got home and inspected it more carefully.

These windshields must be pretty tough. My 2010 F-150 was only 2 months old when it's windshield cracked all the way across. I didn't even hear any impact - it just showed up one day.

My 14 month old CX-5 (2013) with 16000 miles just developed a crack about 18 inches long over the steering wheel. Safe lite says they are about one week on back order. I am not aware of anything hitting my windshield. My Allstate insurance company suggested Safe-lite and I have full coverage. Other than the windshield, the car has been just great getting 31-32 mpg on the hwy and 25 overall.

I was also waiting for Safe-Lite and after a week I gave up. Another local glass company is replacing my CX-% GT windshield tomorrow. Why Safelite was taking so long is anyone's guess but try another source.

I finally gave up on Safelite and went with another company and mission will be accomplished tomorrow.

Not True. I just found glass from an independent glass company, covered by insurance. Safe Lite was taking for ever and I gave up on them

I'm really concerned about this as I have had my windows crack 2+ times on my old toyota matrix.. Do you guys think a rock/bug deflector would realistically help solve this problem?

I'm really concerned about this as I have had my windows crack 2+ times on my old toyota matrix.. Do you guys think a rock/bug deflector would realistically help solve this problem?

A bug deflector will not help because a rock heavy enough to cause damage will go right through the air flow created by the deflector. You can reduce the risk by increasing your following distance, reducing your cruising speed and keeping your distance from dump trucks and trailers with heavy equipment on them (they tend to shed rocks as they travel) but doing these things will not eliminate the risk entirely. This "problem" is not unique to the CX-5, all cars with glass windshields are susceptible to rock damage - that's why insurance coverage is there.

Back