High Octane 93 Gas for Protege

jersey_emt said:
Bottom line, unless your car requires it due to forced induction or advanced timing, or if it is pinging with regular, 'upgrading' to mid-grade or premium is NOT an upgrade. You are wasting money, and will probably get worse gas mileage.
jersry emt, you may have a point there in the Mileage Dept. I do seem to get worse Mileage with the Chevron High Test 93. I usually get about 450 miles per tank on Low Grade. This is looking more like 350. Why the hell is that ? I would not think it would make much sense. ?????

Dino1956 said:
jersry emt, you may have a point there in the Mileage Dept. I do seem to get worse Mileage with the Chevron High Test 93. I usually get about 450 miles per tank on Low Grade. This is looking more like 350. Why the hell is that ? I would not think it would make much sense. ?????

Because your engine is designed, optimized, and tuned to run the most efficiently on regular gas, not premium.

jersey_emt said:
Because your engine is designed, optimized, and tuned to run the most efficiently on regular gas, not premium.
OK I see your point. I just thought by running a high test fuel would help clean out Carbon Deposits. Was having an EGR code. "Excessive ERG Flow" Code PO402Thanks. You make good common sense. I'm going back to my cheap gas. :)

Here is a really good explanation of the use of high octane fuel, and neither of my vehicles will be getting 91 octane fuel again. For the record, 87 octane will do just fine, and that is what our engines are programmed for.

*Disclaimer* I take no credit for this post or the contents within, but I will take credit for the research. This article was borrowed from "ca.answers.yahoo.com" for information purposes only.

"Here is the final say on this problem, to clear it up once and for all (at least for those that read it)

You do not need 90 octane fuel (assuming you live in an area like Utah that has 86,88,90)

Octane is a measurement by the rate of which gasoline ignites

The higher the octane, the SLOWER it ignites

Why do high performance cars need higher octane?

Because they usually have extremely high compression (turbocharged, supercharged or high compression pistons) and need a gasoline that won't explode immediately under that high pressure until the spark plug is programmed to ignite the air/fuel mixture. If you put in low octane gas into an engine that requires premium, you will get what is called "knock" the technical name of this is called pre-detonation. Predetonation is bad because it can cause the air/fuel mixture to "explode" (that's what your engine does after all, creates mini explosions) and the explosion will have nowhere to expand, thus, blowing holes in your engine.

Now what does putting a high octane gasoline in your low compression car do?

First off, remember how I said that high octane burns slower, well esentially, when it is sprayed in your cylinders, and the spark ignites it, the explosion hasn't fully materialized by time the exhaust valves open, you are therefore, losing that valuable pressure (that pushes down harder on the pistons to the crankshaft, thus creating more horsepower and torque) right out into your exhaust manifold. Also, with that decreased amount of explosion, your engine computer might sense that the engine is underpowered and will send a signal to your fuel injectors to stay open longer, to spray more fuel. This will increase gas mileage. ON TOP of all of that, with unburnt fuel entering your exhaust system, it could very well get trapped in your catalytic converter, causing excessive heat, and melt the metal substrate, effectively destroying your cat.

So what effect will putting a higher level octane in a car?

Lower gas mileage
Increased emissions (unburnt fuel)
decreased performance
more chance for catalytic convertor failure (OEM replacements run $500 and up)

And while I'm at it, folks, don't buy cheapy ebay catalytic convertors, they aren't even the real thing and will fail any emissions test due to the construction of them.

That's all I have, i hope you're all better educated now!"

TheMAN said:
it is true
in my experience, bad gas and/or low octane gas has caused carbon build up in various engines

on the 2.0 protege engine, it has responded positively on 93 octane... it DOES run better than regular gas... I have looked at the ignition timing myself and the ECU does bump the timing up when you use higher octane gas

Thank you, I've been saying this forever. When putting in regular gas, the Protege runs like crap. 91 or 93 octane seem to wake the car up.

On my 01' LX 2.0, my manual states 87 octane can be used but for the best performance 91 octane is recommended.

Canadian Bear said:
Here is a really good explanation of the use of high octane fuel, and neither of my vehicles will be getting 91 octane fuel again. For the record, 87 octane will do just fine, and that is what our engines are programmed for.

*Disclaimer* I take no credit for this post or the contents within, but I will take credit for the research. This article was borrowed from "ca.answers.yahoo.com" for information purposes only.

"Here is the final say on this problem, to clear it up once and for all (at least for those that read it)

You do not need 90 octane fuel (assuming you live in an area like Utah that has 86,88,90)

Octane is a measurement by the rate of which gasoline ignites

The higher the octane, the SLOWER it ignites

Why do high performance cars need higher octane?

Because they usually have extremely high compression (turbocharged, supercharged or high compression pistons) and need a gasoline that won't explode immediately under that high pressure until the spark plug is programmed to ignite the air/fuel mixture. If you put in low octane gas into an engine that requires premium, you will get what is called "knock" the technical name of this is called pre-detonation. Predetonation is bad because it can cause the air/fuel mixture to "explode" (that's what your engine does after all, creates mini explosions) and the explosion will have nowhere to expand, thus, blowing holes in your engine.

Now what does putting a high octane gasoline in your low compression car do?

First off, remember how I said that high octane burns slower, well esentially, when it is sprayed in your cylinders, and the spark ignites it, the explosion hasn't fully materialized by time the exhaust valves open, you are therefore, losing that valuable pressure (that pushes down harder on the pistons to the crankshaft, thus creating more horsepower and torque) right out into your exhaust manifold. Also, with that decreased amount of explosion, your engine computer might sense that the engine is underpowered and will send a signal to your fuel injectors to stay open longer, to spray more fuel. This will increase gas mileage. ON TOP of all of that, with unburnt fuel entering your exhaust system, it could very well get trapped in your catalytic converter, causing excessive heat, and melt the metal substrate, effectively destroying your cat.

So what effect will putting a higher level octane in a car?

Lower gas mileage
Increased emissions (unburnt fuel)
decreased performance
more chance for catalytic convertor failure (OEM replacements run $500 and up)

And while I'm at it, folks, don't buy cheapy ebay catalytic convertors, they aren't even the real thing and will fail any emissions test due to the construction of them.

That's all I have, i hope you're all better educated now!"

I bought my protege new in 99 and i've always put 93 and sometimes 100
octane in it and i have never had a problem.I'm at 195,000 miles now.

StealthWyvern said:
WOW 195k! Thats always good to know.
Well now I'm totally confused on what to do ! The detailed explanation seemed to make sense. But experience and that much mileage sways me to high octane. But I just got laid off from Circuit City after almost 5 yrs of loyal service, so I'll stick to the cheap stuff for now. :)

Honestly, it is hard to say what the actual affects that high octane fuel has on our Proteges. I agree, to a certain extent, with what the article states. I will also point out that I am not a mechanic nor do I have racing experience. With that being said, I have no idea what the benefits/non-benefits that high octane fuel has. I don't notice a difference from either form of fuel, and I drive everyday.

Read this if you want:

The need for a premium fuel depends upon the compression ratio, and perhaps the ignition timing. Is is NOT related to how many cylinders or how large in displacement. There are high performance 4's whose manufacturers recommend premium fuel, and 6's and 8's that are OK with regular. General mechanical knowledge, an engine which requires 87 octane will not benefit in any way whatsoever by using 89 or 91 octane. It will NOT be cleaner, last longer, go faster, or get better mileage, it will just cost more. Your money, your choice.

Also, it will do more damage to your engine when using a higher than recommended octane rating, mainly because if your vehicle is designed for use with 87 octane rating, giving the vehicle a higher octane level, increases the internal compression to level higher than it was designed to be. Thus the chances of engine damage, and more wear/tear costs are increased. You should only use what is recommended. No more, no less.

Octane points refers to the fuels ability to resist detonation, high compression or turbo charging are conditions in where pinging or detonation can occur. High octane gas prevents this. Pinging or knocking will cause a loss of power in these type of engines because timing may be retarded to bring cylinder pressures down.

Typical engines are low compression and do not need high octane. However it will not hurt them either, it is possible that high octane may beneficial to prevent knocking. But a non performance engine functioning properly does not need high octane fuel.

Also:

Q - What octane gas is right for my car?

A Newsletter: Texas Tea: All About Gas and Oil

I have 3 answers for you!

1. Preliminary guideline is in owners manual. If that happens to be low octane, use it. Never, ever treat your low-octane engine to a high-octane fuel. Its like treating a baby to a filet mignon. Your engine, like the baby, simply cannot digest it.

2. However, if its anything else, I recommend mid-grade if: 1) youre a conservative driver; 2) you hear no pinging. Because the on-board computer typically adjusts for grade, you can usually pump a lower octane without penalty.

3. However if youre a hard-charging, aggressive driver and/or you hear a ping or knock, dig into your pocket & go back to the higher, more expensive octane.

Or check these sites:

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/2069.aspx
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa070401a_2.htm

Although there are some interesting facts/possible theories, I guess neither grade fuel is wrong depending on the application. Ultimately, it is up to the individual when it comes to what grade fuel they treat their vehicle with.

Canadian Bear said:
Honestly, it is hard to say what the actual affects that high octane fuel has on our Proteges. I agree, to a certain extent, with what the article states. I will also point out that I am not a mechanic nor do I have racing experience. With that being said, I have no idea what the benefits/non-benefits that high octane fuel has. I don't notice a difference from either form of fuel, and I drive everyday.

Read this if you want:

The need for a premium fuel depends upon the compression ratio, and perhaps the ignition timing. Is is NOT related to how many cylinders or how large in displacement. There are high performance 4's whose manufacturers recommend premium fuel, and 6's and 8's that are OK with regular. General mechanical knowledge, an engine which requires 87 octane will not benefit in any way whatsoever by using 89 or 91 octane. It will NOT be cleaner, last longer, go faster, or get better mileage, it will just cost more. Your money, your choice.

Also, it will do more damage to your engine when using a higher than recommended octane rating, mainly because if your vehicle is designed for use with 87 octane rating, giving the vehicle a higher octane level, increases the internal compression to level higher than it was designed to be. Thus the chances of engine damage, and more wear/tear costs are increased. You should only use what is recommended. No more, no less.

Octane points refers to the fuels ability to resist detonation, high compression or turbo charging are conditions in where pinging or detonation can occur. High octane gas prevents this. Pinging or knocking will cause a loss of power in these type of engines because timing may be retarded to bring cylinder pressures down.

Typical engines are low compression and do not need high octane. However it will not hurt them either, it is possible that high octane may beneficial to prevent knocking. But a non performance engine functioning properly does not need high octane fuel.

Also:

Q - What octane gas is right for my car?

A Newsletter: Texas Tea: All About Gas and Oil

I have 3 answers for you!

1. Preliminary guideline is in owners manual. If that happens to be low octane, use it. Never, ever treat your low-octane engine to a high-octane fuel. Its like treating a baby to a filet mignon. Your engine, like the baby, simply cannot digest it.

2. However, if its anything else, I recommend mid-grade if: 1) youre a conservative driver; 2) you hear no pinging. Because the on-board computer typically adjusts for grade, you can usually pump a lower octane without penalty.

3. However if youre a hard-charging, aggressive driver and/or you hear a ping or knock, dig into your pocket & go back to the higher, more expensive octane.

Or check these sites:

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/2069.aspx
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa070401a_2.htm

Although there are some interesting facts/possible theories, I guess neither grade fuel is wrong depending on the application. Ultimately, it is up to the individual when it comes to what grade fuel they treat their vehicle with.
Thanks. Great Answers & Info !

I say just get out and drive. Put each of the octanes in your car and try to drive each tank the same. Which ever tank gets the best mileage, is probably the best for your car. I had an 88 taurus that loved mid-grade. That's where I got the best mileage. My 97 taurus however hates anything but the cheap stuff. I'm still testing in my MP3, so I don't know about that one yet. But one thing is for sure, if you're not driving hard most or all of the time, then the premium is a waste.

Back