High Octane 93 Gas for Protege

Higher Octane

Regardless of what is used to raise the octane, the result is the same. Some cars do not respond well to higher octane gas because as I said, higher octane gas burns hotter. The result is that over time it will eat away at the valves and even in bad cases small holes will form in the pistons. That is generally only in REALLY pathetic cars though.

"Most modern cars, however, are designed to employ a specific compression ratio, a measure of how much room is available to the fuel when the piston is at the bottom and the top of the cylinder. This compression ratio—somewhere in the neighborhood of eight to one—tolerates lower octane fuels (such as regular gasoline, good old 87 octane) without knocking. "The compression ratio is fixed by the designer of the engine," Green says. "The regular fuel will burn properly and the premium fuel will burn properly and therefore there is no reason you should pay the extra money."

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanId=sa003&articleId=373086C9-E7F2-99DF-385F3705197C1D4F

The product i'm talking about has nothing to do with raising the octaine, someone was asking about cleaning the inake or egr so i mentioned a good product. You can get it at any AutoZone or Discount Advance

Andrewsmc said:
"Most modern cars, however, are designed to employ a specific compression ratio, a measure of how much room is available to the fuel when the piston is at the bottom and the top of the cylinder. This compression ratiosomewhere in the neighborhood of eight to onetolerates lower octane fuels (such as regular gasoline, good old 87 octane) without knocking. "The compression ratio is fixed by the designer of the engine," Green says. "The regular fuel will burn properly and the premium fuel will burn properly and therefore there is no reason you should pay the extra money."

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanId=sa003&articleId=373086C9-E7F2-99DF-385F3705197C1D4F

your attempt at arguing over this can't dispute the fact (just like hundreds of other naysayers like you) that our car's ECU *does* see a higher octane gas being used and does adjust for it

good day!

DaltonsProtege said:
Regardless of what is used to raise the octane, the result is the same. Some cars do not respond well to higher octane gas because as I said, higher octane gas burns hotter. The result is that over time it will eat away at the valves and even in bad cases small holes will form in the pistons. That is generally only in REALLY pathetic cars though.
So I'm thinking my car is not a "Pathetic Car". Therefore the High Octane would not hurt if I used it all the time. Correct ? I have 2000 DX 1.6 Auto Trans Protege.

high octane is fine for our cars. i have ran 93 since i got the car 2yrs ago and the owner before me did the same. my engine runs beautifully.

patsfan4life said:
high octane is fine for our cars. i have ran 93 since i got the car 2yrs ago and the owner before me did the same. my engine runs beautifully.
Yea, cause I'm thinking. What's a few extra bucks every couple of weeks, if it is better for my car. Does high Octane Gas help with the Carbon Buildup on Intake Throttle & EGR ? Thanks.

Better Mileage

Actually higher octane does give you better gas mileage, what i meant by it burning faster is that it combusts at a quicker rate.

i use the red line fuel and Nos injectors evey 4 weeks. and i havent really noticed any big change. I would like to have my injectors cleaned out at a dealer, but i probally wont feel any thing different, but that just me. i want to keep my car in tip top form.

DaltonsProtege said:
Actually higher octane does give you better gas mileage, what i meant by it burning faster is that it combusts at a quicker rate.

That's what I meant too. Higher octane gas combusts at a slower rate than lower octane gas.

Bottom line, unless your car requires it due to forced induction or advanced timing, or if it is pinging with regular, 'upgrading' to mid-grade or premium is NOT an upgrade. You are wasting money, and will probably get worse gas mileage.

jersey_emt said:
Bottom line, unless your car requires it due to forced induction or advanced timing, or if it is pinging with regular, 'upgrading' to mid-grade or premium is NOT an upgrade. You are wasting money, and will probably get worse gas mileage.

+1
Thats what I thought...?

DaltonsProtege said:
Higher Octane gas has more alcohol, which burns hotter. The outcome is that it burns away carbon on the valves, pistons, in the EGR valve, and the 02 sensor. The reason it was suggested to only run it once in a while was because some cars do not respond well to prolonged use of higher octane. Also, pour in tank injector cleaner is basicly useless, take it to Wal-Mart and have TLE do an injection service for $20.

What is a "TLE" injection service, what does it do, and how does it help? Because I think I need one.(eyeballs)

I guess injector cleaning? even with our trusty fuel filters there's always crap getting in the fuel, so it might not atomise properly

Back