High Octane 93 Gas for Protege

Dino1956

A guy at the dealership advised to every once in a while, to fill my Protege 1.6 DX Auto with High Octane Gas (Premium). He says it helps to prevent Carbon Buildup in EGR Valve. Does this sound right ? What do you guys think ?

I call bs.

I'm not turbo'd nor the end all of all things automotive, but things i've read generally state that premium is a waste unless your application requires higher octane to prevent pre-ignition/pinging.

However, I recently used that BG 44k stuff, supposed to clean up things like carbon build up. When i purchased it, the guy before the counter stated that you could just use techron instead. (start filling up at cheveron?)

my 2 cents.

Jason

You can use high octane about one tank every oil change, thats what I do. The higher octane the cleaner(and faster) the gas burns. It will help remove carbon buildup on your injectors and internals as well as get rid of any slight knocking you may have. Plus you get to run your car hard for a tank lol.

i just 91 constantly and 93 after an oil change..but i ALWAYS run my car hard so yea...

It's good every now and then also, If I run it smooth I get slightly better gas mileage too.But I never run it smooth, I can't.

its a equals out to be a dollar more when you fill up the tank about. i dont see why people make such a big deal about it. I use premium for any car because i personally believe it is better for the car and i get alot better gas mileage

thats my .02

Dino1956 said:
A guy at the dealership advised to every once in a while, to fill my Protege 1.6 DX Auto with High Octane Gas (Premium). He says it helps to prevent Carbon Buildup in EGR Valve. Does this sound right ? What do you guys think ?

it is true
in my experience, bad gas and/or low octane gas has caused carbon build up in various engines

on the 2.0 protege engine, it has responded positively on 93 octane... it DOES run better than regular gas... I have looked at the ignition timing myself and the ECU does bump the timing up when you use higher octane gas

jeg0024 said:
You can use high octane about one tank every oil change, thats what I do. The higher octane the cleaner(and faster) the gas burns. It will help remove carbon buildup on your injectors and internals as well as get rid of any slight knocking you may have. Plus you get to run your car hard for a tank lol.

So what your saying jeg is that my engine should be pretty samn clean on the insides due to my ass running nothing but 93 for the last 26k miles!

TheMAN said:
it is true
in my experience, bad gas and/or low octane gas has caused carbon build up in various engines

on the 2.0 protege engine, it has responded positively on 93 octane... it DOES run better than regular gas... I have looked at the ignition timing myself and the ECU does bump the timing up when you use higher octane gas
Again, I have the 1.6 Engine, Auto Transmission. From what you guys are saying. I had to put Premium in my Cadillac, so I'm use to the slight higher cost. From the above posts, I get the feeling I should not use High Octane ALL the time. That's what the dealership told me. I was at dealership for a CEL code PO402 "EGR Flow Excessive". So I figure there must be some Carbon build up. Of course they suggest taking the Intake Manifold and cleaning it out from there. That's a nice $300. for them. I'm not doing that. And from what I see on here, it could be Carbon stuck in the EGR Valve. I know nothing about cars, only what I read on here and through other sites. Thanks. More input on these subjects is surely welcome.

StealthWyvern said:
So what your saying jeg is that my engine should be pretty samn clean on the insides due to my ass running nothing but 93 for the last 26k miles!

Well yeah, you run cleaner gas you engine will stay cleaner:)

Kooldino said:
You could also use an injector cleaner instead.

You could, but isnt it just cheaper to fill up with the good stuff? I use to use some gumout or stp injector cleaner(with jet fuel!) and the 93 octane lol.

Running Cleaner

Higher Octane gas has more alcohol, which burns hotter. The outcome is that it burns away carbon on the valves, pistons, in the EGR valve, and the 02 sensor. The reason it was suggested to only run it once in a while was because some cars do not respond well to prolonged use of higher octane. Also, pour in tank injector cleaner is basicly useless, take it to Wal-Mart and have TLE do an injection service for $20.

DaltonsProtege said:
Higher Octane gas has more alcohol, which burns hotter. The outcome is that it burns away carbon on the valves, pistons, in the EGR valve, and the 02 sensor. The reason it was suggested to only run it once in a while was because some cars do not respond well to prolonged use of higher octane. Also, pour in tank injector cleaner is basicly useless, take it to Wal-Mart and have TLE do an injection service for $20.

+1:)

DaltonsProtege said:
Is it because of the high alcohol content, that some cars don't respond well ? Could it cause Engine trouble ?

uhh no... gasoline NEVER had alcohol in it (as an octane modifier) and with the recent use of ethanol, they're ALL 10% regardless of octane unless you get the higher percentage s*** (written ON the pump) for those flexfuel cars

tahts injector clearer. For Air Intake cleaner I use CRC Throttle Body and Intake Cleaner. Cleans the EGR and inake. works great.

patsfan4life said:
tahts injector clearer. For Air Intake cleaner I use CRC Throttle Body and Intake Cleaner. Cleans the EGR and inake. works great.

Where would i be able to pick up this CRC cleaner at?

Back